1 (edited by Curby 2018-01-05 16:50:14)

Topic: Greta Van Fleet

I looked to see if anyone had written about the band Greta Van Fleet and didn't see one.

This band is obviously channeling Page and Plant and succeeds like The Black Crowes did on their first album doing their version of the Stones.  They released a EP last fall that I liked and bought and yesterday released a double EP of sorts.  I'd say this is the one to seriously look into.  Covers of Sam Cooke and Richard Thompson punctuate High Test rock'n'roll.

https://youtu.be/NZUD-5oa7Hc

https://youtu.be/aJg4OJxp-co

2 (edited by gary 2017-11-12 22:06:42)

Re: Greta Van Fleet

I listened to the ep Black Smoke Rising earlier this year and I liked it.Pretty good .
It did not blow me away like a lot reviews I saw.I am interested in the new one and will check it out
Maybe trying to make that comparison to LZ ups the expectations before listening to them.As that has been the comparison.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-11-13 05:15:58)

Put a few thoughts about the Black Smoke EP in the What Song are You.... thread (post 5,728). Liked what I heard from that EP, so maybe will treat myself to the new one as a post-Christmas shopping treat. They did a couple of London dates back in late September, so hoping they got enough interest to come back round. They're gonna have to work got shake the L.Z. tag, but good luck to them.

Edit: Quick visit to their web-site and saw some European dates for next Spring:-

Mar 22  Köln, Germany Artheater
Mar 24 Hamburg, Germany Molotow
Mar 25 Berlin, Germany Privatclub
Mar 27 Brussels, Belgium Botanique
Mar 28 Paris, France Les Etoiles

Mar  30 Fri   Manchester The Deaf Institute Manchester, GB 18:30
Mar  31 Sat  O2 Institute3 Birmingham Birmingham, GB 18:00
Apr  4 Wed   O2 Academy Islington London, GB 19:30

Jun 1  Nuremberg, Germany Rock im Park / Rock am Ring
Jun 2  Nuremberg, Germany  Rock im Park / Rock am Ring
Jun 3  Nuremberg, Germany Rock im Park / Rock am Ring

Strange timings on the UK shows; don't know if it signifies Door Opening times, Support slot timing or early shows.....

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Fri March 30 2018 - MANCHESTER Deaf Institute
Sat March 31 2018 - BIRMINGHAM O2 Institute3
Sun April 01 2018 - GLASGOW King Tuts Wah Wah Hut
Wed April 04 2018 - LONDON O2 Academy Islington

Planet Rock like them.

I've been hearing a lot about them lately, I really dug the few clips I've seen.  They sound great.

I grabbed a quick listen and the singer really has the Plant thing down.
I am still struggling with it as to if it is a good thing or not?
The cover of A Change Is Going To Come He does not sound like Plant at all.I will say that song itself shows he has the vocal chops for sure.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

7 (edited by Curby 2017-11-15 22:45:27)

These guys grow on you and I hope they're just scratching the surface of a great rock band.  Not a tribute band at all, but playing music they love.  I remember hearing a Hendrix song on the local college radio station and saying to myself "that's a different version of 'Voodoo Chile'.  Found out it was some guy called Stevie Ray Vaughn.  Won't make the leap with this band, but some of their stuff could be confused with a new Zep song.  These lads are pretty young and who know's how this will play out.  "Flower Power" sounds like a cut off Led Zeppelin III.

8 (edited by Curby 2017-11-15 22:37:57)

Girl Power....this is  just another good rock band tapping Zep and Aerosmith.  The drummer tells and plays her story.

https://youtu.be/D0fMzEX_40Y

9 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2018-01-04 15:02:07)

Didn't realize this Thread on Greta Van Fleet was posted up ... Thread Title must have slipped by me.

Guess it's natural they would take a few comparisons / some knocks for their Zeppelin sound ... I dig their sound ... they are out there playing and doing it ... getting some ears to listen through the din ... hats off ... looking forward to more.

They have some good originals IMHO ... smart that they are staying away from doing Led Zep covers ... (maybe do no covers for now smile ) but if you're going to do one ...

... caught their take on Howling Wolf's Evil Is Goin' On ... (can't top the original ... but if they get one kid to dig back to the original ... cool that they did it.)

Greta Van Fleet "Evil Is Goin' On" (Howlin’ Wolf cover) @ Bowery Ballroom New York NY 12.5.2017
https://youtu.be/4TxhspfOXZk (Tom Florczak)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

10 (edited by Curby 2018-01-05 17:54:23)

Thanks Jane for posting the vagueness of my title.  I changed it so hopefully forum members will check them out.  Yes, they channel Zeppelin, but make no mistake...these young men rock.  I haven't heard drumming like this in decades.....

https://youtu.be/HxbT5jSxGJ0

https://youtu.be/CaEQri9BKlc

https://youtu.be/jYmzW9dqA6A   Wow!  This is one of the best videos I've ever posted.  A young Jimmy Page would've stolen the riff.

The last two songs are new to me and I can't wait for the vinyl.  My home office is in Detroit and I'll definitely be checking their schedule.
https://youtu.be/OIalWxSnQxY

Nice to see them getting some love.  Living in the Detroit area, they get a lot of local rock radio air play.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I caught the opening show of the tour in Columbus @ The basement.  They were incredible!!!!  An excellent audio recording of the night can be found on youtube.

I saw them in Glasgow on Sunday after having their EP's for a few months.

Imagine seeing Led Zeppelin when they first toured 50 years ago - thats how I felt watching this incredible band. They are going to be HUGE no question. I have not felt like this since seeing Rival Sons for the first time 7 years ago - I came out of there knowing I had witnessed something really special. All their own songs apart from Evil by Howlin Wolf - singer said they couldn't help themselves smile And I texted all my music buddies after saying I had seen the future of rock n roll.

I can see myself going to all their UK dates next tour if possible, hopefully before end of 2018.

I want to see these guys. They're playing at Summerfest this year and although I loathe that festival, I will try to make it this year for them.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

15 (edited by Shredit 2018-05-21 11:37:17)

I hear them a lot on Pandora, I asked the wife who she thought I was listening too, she said she thought it was someone with LZ influence, cool I thought

16 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2018-07-17 18:41:03)

Thank u Jane for the new Track Link ... looking forward to their first full length Release scheduled sometime this summer.

The LZ comparison will continue ... but they are releasing music that I hit Repeat on ... and it seams there's less and less of that out there ... for my tastes ... (which I think are pretty broad.)

... and that they are 19-20 year olds ... I like their song melodies ... influenced ... sure ... but I think they are doing it with their twist ... more power to them! ... and looking at the YT comments on this Single (and other tracks) ... some younger gen's are digging 6 and 4 string axes w/ drums ... vs something with a needle drop sample or beat generator ... great!

(just hoping the Music business machine doesn't grind these guys up.)

That was a long and windy Thank u. smile

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

The lads have a brief UK tour coming up in November and are spreading their wings a bit more next March as part of their March of the Peaceful Army campaign:-

Mar 05 - Newcastle upon Tyne: O2 Academy Newcastle
Mar 07 - Glasgow: O2 Academy Glasgow
Mar 08 - Leeds: O2 Academy & Underground
Mar 10 - Nottingham: Rock City
Mar 11 - Liverpool: Liverpool Guild of Students

Tickets on sale Fri 19th Oct

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Jane H. wrote:

Tickets also on sale today at 10AM for Baltimore. Last time the 2000 some capacity venue sold out in 2 minutes. They did hold some seats and later arranged to sell to fans at box office on a certain day which I was able to do and score.

I did the fan presale yesterday...code by email but half hour after sale started. got code from other fans first who guessed it. Of course ticketmaster....goodness gracious....oh yes we'll let you select seats then say oh you need to use a different device uggh just as has happened in Joe presale. finally cleared cache and got two singles in different areas....hoping to maybe get more today but they have been doing stuff to combat scalpers so might not be able to buy more since i got two.

Hey Jane, what is the Baltimore concert date, time and venue?

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy