Topic: I feel so...so SHINY...

See, gary, I told you back on August 30 of last year that you'd need a calendar to count down how long it would take me to get to 1,000...  wink

Bonus points to everyone who got the Firefly reference in the post title...

Yeah, this is going to be one of those posts, I'm afraid. If you're the sort of person who flips out if a post has more than a couple of sentences in it, you'd best be on your way. And if you're the sort of person who thinks that people make too big a fuss over “meaningless” things like post counts and Forum labels, you can excuse yourselves as well.

They gone? Good. Now, for those of you still reading, this post has been in the works for awhile. Once I knew I would be seeing Joe three times in a week (Omaha, Sioux City, Des Moines), I planned it so that my posts about those shows would take me right up to the brink, and that's how it worked out. I have spent a lot of time over the past couple of days putting the finishing touches on Post No. 1,000. For reasons which I hope will be apparent as you read it, I wanted it to be special. I don't know if I achieved that, but I will say that writing it has been most gratifying. It is long in part because there is so much I want to say, and in part because I know that, after I post it, I have to go back to dealing with the professional, economic, physical, and even romantic turmoil that is my life right now, and that means I will be back to posting only sporadically, for awhile...

I first began lurking here back in December of 2010, but decided to hold off on joining/posting until the arrival of my Epiphone JBLP (aka “Paula”). That happened on January 3, 2011. Here's that post: https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic. … 22#p174222  The very first person to welcome me to the Forum was my fellow flatlander Lee, whom I have now met at a couple of shows (along with the wonderful Renee). Little did I know what that simple post would lead to...

Early on, I spent most of my time commenting on other peoples' posts, mostly in the gear section and the show reviews. I didn't know a soul here, but no one seemed to mind that I was a noob, not only to the Forum but to Joe and his music as well. It wasn't long before I became comfortable enough to begin commenting (and even initiating threads) with some regularity. This is a most congenial community, easily the friendliest of any I have encountered online (and I have been involved in online forums for 20 years)...and one of the few I have ever seen where the person to whom it is devoted actually reads and contributes!

On March 9, 2012, I took delivery of “India” (the Ernie Ball Music Man 25th Anniversary model that Joe is holding in my avatar photo). Here's the announcement I posted that day (I wasn't trying to be coy, I really did want Joe to be pleasantly surprised at the Meet & Greet, and he was): https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic. … 91#p226991 As it turned out, when I finally got to meet Joe and show her to him, I was so nervous that I actually forgot to have him sign her, a story you can read here: https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=21150

As I have said many times, I think I like having that story to tell more than I would have liked Joe's sig on the guitar.  big_smile  And now you know the REAL story behind my avatar photo...

I have gone away from this place a couple of times after getting caught up in some drama or other, usually involving someone saying nasty things about Joe and/or the people around here who matter to me. In particular, I take umbrage at being told I'm a “mindless fanboy.” As I wrote the last time that happened: “This isn't some garden-variety message board devoted to music in general, it is the gathering place for Joe's fandom. It is Bonamassaville. That is its purpose. If you think we are mindless fanboys, kindly go elsewhere. We sort of like being fanboys. And, speaking strictly for myself, there is nothing 'mindless' about my appreciation for Joe and his music, thank you very much.” But I simply can't stay away for long. This place is too important a part of my life to stay away...and Patty wouldn't stop bugging me to come back...  wink

What else? Well, I want to take some time to express my appreciation to some folks, if that's okay...

Thanks to all the various folks I have interacted with at J&R, including Brett, assorted Alexes (Alexi?), Andy, Eric, and Larry (I know Larry caught a lot of heat from folks in these parts, but he went out of his way to do me a true kindness, and I don't forget such things)...

I owe at least one adult beverage to bunches of you with whom I have interacted here, including (but not limited to): cindyron, AD3THREE, sally12333, JBFan4Life, jb best there is, dknight16, hansamike, Bill S, Sandy Girl, AndreS, macg1, Devan, JBFan1, conorb, gary, Greenose, NPB_EST.1979, Brack, airportdon, Blues4Life21, stevebonamassive, Denbon18, matt74, bigjeffjones, DaveWammbarro, kestrou, helrazr84, ohiodawg13, Shredit, cathysiler, jclark42796, Guytron, wvgirlinky, Bonamazing, BluesMan,  Angela, Pete The Cabby, iahawk36, Psmith1946, Rockfarmer, kevman13, stefanhauk, Curby, Schritzer, Deezer, Stu Craig, BansheeUK, Jimi75, RV Flyer, samjp4, Lizzee, bump827, guido, RoadcaseBoy, whirlwind, matirocker, and Buzzy. The RiverCat, on the other hand, can kiss my Irish ****! (Just kidding...  wink )

Big hugs to the Forum regulars I have met over these past three shows (Omaha, Sioux City, Des Moines). I met a bunch of you in Sioux City, but I was in so much pain that night I know I will forget some names. In any event, it was SO much fun to finally meet you all, including Phil & Natasha, Lee & Renee (whom I sat behind and met briefly at Des Moines 2012), and of course Rick, with whom I had a marvelous chat at the Des Moines M&G...

My undying affection also for a small number of Forum members who have, in one way or another, done me kindnesses far above and beyond anything I had a right to expect. These are special people to me, even though I have never (to my knowledge) laid eyes on them: Jane H., jim m, Spider, Rocket, and Amsterhammer...

As I mentioned earlier, when I first found the forum, I just “lurked,” and concentrated my attention on the posts about gear, and about live shows. But it wasn't long after I began visiting that I started noticing posts from someone calling herself pattyluvsjoe, who lived in Indianola, Iowa (which is only about 85 miles east of where I live). She seemed to be Joe's most enthusiastic fan. Her cheerfulness and enthusiasm had a lot to do with my decision to officially join the forum. I am grateful beyond measure to know her, and whether she knows it or not she has been a grace from God in my life. Thanks, Patty!

I am deeply grateful to all of the wonderful folks who work so hard to make the live shows such a thrill, and grateful as well to all of the peerless musicians who have appeared with Joe onstage or on his recordings. There are too many such folks to list, of course, but I did want to mention two: Rick Melick, whom I miss, and whose haunting drone at the outset of the RAH encore is STILL the soundtrack in my head every time I pick up “India,” and Gerry O'Connor, whose beautiful violin playing evoked tears from me repeatedly in Omaha, Des Moines, and especially in Sioux City (because I was just a few feet away and could see the expressions on his face as he played)...

So, what to say about Joe? Well, wvgirlinky once wrote this to a newcomer to the forum: “Welcome, sounds like Joe B found your heart and filled it up.” I thought that was an apt description of what he has done for many of us. It is certainly apt in MY case. Before I discovered Joe, it had been so long since I had found any new music that excited me that I had pretty much given up hope of ever experiencing that joy again in my life. I was wrong. And since I found him, I have had my heart filled up over and over with some of the most stirring music I have ever heard...

Joe, that is the best gift you could ever have given me, far in excess of any handshake, chit-chat, autograph, etc. Thank you for all you have given, and will give to us all...you, too, are a grace from God in my life.

To everyone who has read this far, thank you. And to one and all in Bonamassa Nation: Hope you had a safe, joyous, and blessed Easter!

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Re: I feel so...so SHINY...

Congrats on your 1000th post.  Hope you're still enjoying your MM 25th. I have one that I bought new with the birdseye maple neck and burl finish. It is a great guitar and is one of my favs. I really love the neck on it. Did you ever get yours signed? (I skimmed several of the posts, but didn't see it.)

JD

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

Congrat's on your 1000th post Coach! I would say that's a great entry for a big milestone on the forum. I was like you and lurked around here for a bit before I finally joined and i'm so glad I did! I've met a lot of great people on here as well. Hope you had a great Easter!
-Erin

Hey coach
Congrats very nice write up hope to meet you someday.
cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Congrats......:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

way to go Coach, nice post here as we have enjoyed so many of yours over this time. It is a great forum heh, guess I'm OK with "fanboy" too, been called a lot worse.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Congratulations too and a great 1000th post. I look forwards to many more in the future. May see you ata a concert one day who knows.... big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Coach, you are such a definite favorite of mine!!  You made me teary-eyed with your words.  You are such a marvelous member of this Forum and greatly respected.  Thank you for all your contributions in making this the best place ever.

A hearty Congratulations on your Metal!!  Luv you!!!     :hug

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Congrats Coach! Your input has been a joy to read. Always cogent and with that touch of class so many of mine lack. tongue . I'm in a rush to hit the road for the next stop on our Midwest tour so I'll save the savor of each word until we hit the ground in Minneapolis. Ya done good my BonaBuddy.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Congrats Coach!!  As has been said here ... always enjoy reading your posts ... and a great 1000th indeed.  (Thank you for the shout out.)  I'm glad now mine is a couple of years away.

Congrats as well on your 3 show mini-tour ... with a M&G!! When I saw your picture of the your Joe tie #2 ... had to add it to BHistory.

Best wishes ... as you now head Further On Up The Road towards 2000 ... for all to stay SHINY.

PS: I hope your set lists won't go up in price because of this ... I am hoping collect 'em all from Joe's 2014 tour run.  (Just in case ... Note to J&R ... This is a joke.  Would hate to have caused your 1000th to be your last. smile)

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Congratulations on hitting 1000! Wonderful post, loved reading it. It was so nice to finally meet you in Iowa. Glad you were feeling a little better for the Des Moines show. You sure had an excellent seat for that Sioux City show and I hoped it eased your pain somewhat to have such a great view of the man at work smile

Wonderful post.  Congrats on Bonametal and doing it the right way.  I love this place, and it's because of people just like you.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

13 (edited by Buzzy 2014-04-21 19:42:27)

Dude!! .. lol

An awesome read! (yes, I did a double take when I saw my name .. lol)

I have gone back and read all that has lead up to this point for u (thank u for including the reference links, btw) .. and if ever the term 'come full circle' meant anything to anyone, it sure would appear to me it is now .. for u, my friend.

Right from the get go (ur reply to my intro .. along with the other gracious JB fans), I knew I was in the right place. If there are a few more folks here like this chap .. it's all good.

I aint been here long, but I've seen how caring these folks are with each other .. one big happy family (no, not gettin all sappy .. I just call it like I see it .. lol).

Coach .. lemme just say it's people like u that make this site a great experience for me!

Thank u for that .. and congrats on ur milestone.

ps: Full circle eh Brother .. I'm willin to bet ur as happy as a clam at high tide ( to quote a cool cat .. lol)

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

Congratulations Coach! I missed you at the M&G in Des Moines! I don't post as often as I used to, but will some time make it to 1000! Now, if photos could count as posts.... lol big_smile

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

Wow, always love reading what you have to say. I know whatever it is will be heart felt. Congrats on being bona metal. Lurking was in my blood too. Once brave enough to post, you sweet coach welcomed me with much bona love! Know this, you have given this hill billy a huge grin and filled my bona cup!

Congratulations on you milestone.  I was in a similar situation to you as far as going to shows when I was closing in on 1,000 and of course that was when all sorts of things I wanted to comment on popped up here.

Hope you hang around for at least a thousand more...and yes I read your whole post.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

17 (edited by RickB 2014-04-22 08:18:56)

So, from one fanboy to the other, that was a sweet way to start my day Coach, and worth the wait to savor in a proper way. 'Twas indeed a nice chat there in the Des Moines Civic and I was so happy that Patty pointed you out to me so I could chase you down. Shaking your hand and laying a close eye on you was one of the highlights of the Iowa tour part I did. Thanks! Putting reality on the digital friends here is one of the main reasons I travel to these events. Yes events! Some of Joe's gigs take on a life of vast proportions due to the fans that show up.
Enough ramble, you look just fine in that shiny garb. I too like that Irish fiddle player. Here is a little vid which features him and the rest of the acoustic masters. This one's for you coach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGc22UW … 77IGf5CiJg
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

C.O.N.G.R.A.T.U.L.A.T.I.O.N.S.    C.O.A.C.H.  :win  :win  :win  :win   

Wonderful 1000th Post smile   It was great to see you again at the shows and wasn't Joe just off the hook!!
Joe got us with such a wide range of emotions.....from the softest side of tender to the most blistering hot sizzle tongue

I am so glad you found your way here to The Forum and it has been a great pleasure to read all your posts, from #1 to #1,000 !!  It has been fun to see you at shows and to know there's a fellow Iowegian further on up the road .....all I have to do is go West on 80, won't take too long....  wink

Lots of love and hugs to you my friend  {{{Coach}}}

smile pattyluvsjoe cool

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184