Topic: My First Meet & Greet...and My Epic Fail!

Okay, you're not going to believe this, but...

Everything went swimmingly, at first.  Got to the venue in plenty of time, with one of my students in tow as my guest.  Got to chat with some fans, Joe was charming when he showed up (told a funny story about nearly getting mugged in downtown Omaha while doing a little sight-seeing!), and the line moved with dispatch.  My student got the thrill of his young lifetime, got his Strat signed, got multiple pictures taken, etc.  Then, at last, it was my turn.  Joe signed the RAH and Beacon DVDs I had brought for friends who couldn't make the show, he noticed my necktie (which has him playing "Mountain Time" at the RAH concert...see photo), and we chatted pleasantly about the guitar I brought:  An Ernie Ball Music Man 25th Anniversary, which I had fallen in love with the first time I saw the RAH video.  I told him how long it had taken me to track one down (I believe I compared myself to Ahab pursuing the white whale, which isn't much of an exaggeration), we chatted a bit about the EBMM Reflex (which is the production version of the Anniversary model, only with different finishes, including a gold top/black back version that is, in my opinion, EBMM's "unofficial" Joe B. signature model). We posed together, and the very nice lady behind me in the line took this photo:  http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8161/7117 … 8a71_b.jpg

At that point, I already felt like I'd taken a little more time than I should, so I thanked Joe and wished him luck for the show later that night and made my way over to where my student was waiting for me.  As I opened the case to put my guitar back inside, my student said "So, where did you have him sign it?"  And then it hit me...

That's right, ladies and gentleman...after chasing after this particular guitar for more than a year before finally getting one, having a special tie made with a picture of Joe playing the same model on it, buying a litho to get on the meet-and-greet list, and dreaming about the moment for months...I actually forgot to ask him to sign my guitar!  roll

I wasn't paying attention to the people behind me, of course, but I can imagine what they must have thought.  I suspect Joe must have wondered who this nutcase was who wanted him to pose with a guitar but not sign it, too...

I felt like a rookie who struck out in his first big-league at bat not because he couldn't hit a curveball but because he left his bat in the dugout when he went to the plate...   sad

My student suggested that I get back in line (there were only a few folks left by then) and ask for the signature, but I was too mortified to consider it.  I just wanted to post this for the benefit of those of you who are nervous about meeting Joe for the first time...trust me, you won't screw up as badly as I did!  wink

And Joe, if you're reading this, I'll catch up with you again soon, and I promise not to carry on like a doddering idiot the next time...   big_smile

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Re: My First Meet & Greet...and My Epic Fail!

LOL!  Oh man that was a faux pas...

But still, end of the day, the memories of talking and interacting with Joe are far better than the signature IMO.

I mean, I DO look at the sig on the back of the headstock of my LP everytime I put it away after playing, but by far my best memories are of talking to Joe and him showing us his gear and guitars on stage...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

3 (edited by Coach305 2013-03-18 17:22:11)

Devan wrote:

LOL!  Oh man that was a faux pas...

Yes, indeed!

One...

http://hotnerdgirl.files.wordpress.com/ … cepalm.jpg

Two...

http://mmgaming.net/wp-content/uploads/ … cepalm.jpg

Three...

http://eve.beyondreality.se/triple-facepalm.jpg

Four!

http://www.instructables.com/files/deri … .LARGE.jpg

But still, end of the day, the memories of talking and interacting with Joe are far better than the signature IMO.

I mean, I DO look at the sig on the back of the headstock of my LP everytime I put it away after playing, but by far my best memories are of talking to Joe and him showing us his gear and guitars on stage...

Absolutely.  We DID have a nice chat, he seemed to like the tie, and having this story to tell might be a better memory than the sig would have been...   wink

Still, I rather imagine I'll give it another shot when I get the chance...

[Edit Note: Edited to fix broken links on 3/18/13]

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

4 (edited by Jlowther 2012-04-27 03:20:28)

Don't worry...I still honestly regret my mN'g to this day...It was when I was going through my more miserable and depressing teenage years and I looked at the video and I was horrified to see how unimpressed I looked to be there (Even though inside I was absolutely buzzing to meet my hero)...Oh...and my E string was strung on the wrong way on the peg so he untied it and re-did it for me hahaha

I also met him right after my avatar picture was taken backstage at the High Voltage Festival:)

Coach...yer killing me lol .....trust me when I say this....Joe IS NOT LOL!....well maybe just a chuckle....down the road, you and JB will laugh this one over....try this for a first impression....the day before I was going to meet the man face to face I was in an automobile accident and had this HUGE black eye roll ....it took me a few times talking to JB just not feel totally foolish, and this took a few years!....all good comes to those who wait....what's that?....yes, I'm probably not making you feel any better

Smile today and everyday, life is too short to look back

Shreddy the Shiner

Just bring it to Des Moines!  We all get "Joe-Struck" still!

p.l.j.

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Like Patty says, you got "Joe Struck" it happens to the best of us! smile

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

you should have gotten back in line since he was still there.. but now.. too late..
Catch him the next show through.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Ohh man, what a bummer...

At least you got to meet the man himself. A signature is a nice bonus, but getting to meet your hero, you'll never forget that.

I love the pics! lol  I'm sure you'll have another chance. The next time you will be more relaxed because you now know Joe is a "normal" fella. I'm glad someone took the photo for you. I always offer to take pics at the M&G so nobody gets left out of the shot. Kudo's for sharing the moment with your student. There's a life-long memory as well as future bragging rights wink  And, REALLY fine looking guitar.     Cathy

11 (edited by Rocket 2012-04-27 15:25:42)

roll You should've got back in line!  You cannot label it epic until you did not do that! lol
You also have to give your student good marks for "paying attention". tongue

Like a perfectly drawn play on the whiteboard, practiced to perfection in the playing field (over & over again in your mind in this case), it always comes down to the execution. sad

Really good and entertaining story!!! The 1,2,3,4 bit is hilarious, but at least you didn't get to a six-armed Indian goddess covering up with complete head palming too!!!  Overall, it sounds like an incredible good time success. wink

I know I am different, in that I do not get star struck with Joe.  I do get Joe Struck, however, talking about him to others.  I get incredibly excited and animated around total strangers and family members, especially (poor) Mrs. B! Around Joe?  It has always been very casual and low key for us both.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith, Especially About Next Time, wink
Rocket smile

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Coach, take that picture of you and Joe, then paste a copy to the headstock. There ya go. Better than the siggie and you'll be feeling warm and fuzzy each time you pick it up. Better yet, I hear you will be in Des Moines. Bring it. We'll make sure it gets signed this time. lol (don't feel bad, I did something similar my first time too. I ain't sayin though. wink )
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

It is a cool story.I think your right and you can tell the story and laugh about it for years,I am sure you will get it signed soon.I think next time have him sign that tie too!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Coach, thanks for sharing your story.  I can totally understand being Joe Struck, and the meet happens SO fast so I can see how this happened!  As Cathy said, you'll get another chance AND get to laugh about it with Joe.    And really, this says it all http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8161/7117 … 8a71_b.jpg  When was the last time you got to meet one of your guitar heroes?  I can tell you I've never met Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton or Alex Lifeson, nor have they been even remotely as accessible as Joe.  But I have been fortunate enough to meet Joe Bonamassa!  As did you smile

Jim

I've met a few famous people, but I didn't forget to tell them to sign anything. But if I was starstruck, there's a chance that I might forget as well. Still, at least you got to meet him and he was friendly towards you, that's what really counts. I've met Sammy Hagar, Alice Cooper, & Los Lonely Boys, I'd like to meet Joe as well. Seems like a nice guy.

...hey coach! ...i thought calling Rick Carmine would be hard to beat but you've just taken first prize bud! ...don't worry tho'! ...these Bona-brainiac-fuddleism's are common to us all ...just stick close by Patty on the next gig and all will be sorted! wink

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks to all for helping me maintain my sense of humor about all this...

Having had some time to recover from the embarrassment of my epic doofosity and gain a little perspective, I couldn't be happier.  After all, my student (who is already a better player than I ever was or will be) got to meet Joe and get his guitar signed and his picture taken, and that will be a memory he will treasure forever.  My teaching colleague who borrowed my RAH DVD over Christmas break was so reluctant to return it that I gifted it to her; I got that signed for her, along with my Beacon DVD, which I also gifted to her, so she's as happy as a clam at high tide.  And, of course, I got to meet Joe myself, something thousands of his fans will never be able to do.  Showed off my special Joe tie, chatted with him about India (my name for my EBMM 25th Anniversary...she's named for the RAH moment that made me fall in love with that guitar and turn from Joe fan to fanatic), got a little Joe DNA on her, got my picture taken with him (he was was wearing an EBMM ballcap, how perfect was THAT?), and got a great story to tell about all of it (even at the expense of my silly pride).  Oh, and I got to see a stellar performance from Joe, Rick, Carmine, and Tal later that night.  Weighed against all of that cool stuff, my brain cramp seems like pretty small beer...

One downside I hadn't considered, though.  I have no doubt that my drama students are already gearing up to give me crap about this next week.  I can hear them now:  “Maybe you should have rehearsed more,” “Nothing good will happen until you know your lines,” “A good actor can always improv out of a jam,” etc.  All the stuff I say to them when we're mounting a show.  With any luck, they'll take it easy on the old man...   wink

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Coach, glad you found the right perspective on this...loads of positives followed by a small brain cramp. I understand the whole time issue. I am always cognizant of joes time and the fact that there are other people waiting for their chance to meet Joe. He does a great job of not making anyone feel rushed, but my internal clock usually let's me know to be respectful of Joes time and other fans time. I see Patty told you to bring your guitar to Des Moines...I assume that means you'll be there? If so, I look forward to meeting you and India.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"