19 (edited by fotopete 2006-08-21 15:10:14)

Re: Turning Stone show

ben -
this one is for you

http://www.fotopete.com/jb/pics/joe0137.jpg

;-)

edit - Bet ya didn't know I could do that - lol

Ben said:
"But the one where Joe goes to the very top of the guitar neck, past the nut and press down on the string the get those different harmonics or whatever it is he gets...I had NEVER seen that one before"

SRV did it on "Riviera Paradise."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJG1skzVP3U

I guess we have different ears, since mine are cat ears ^-^.   Respectfully, I disagree.    That is a powerful song and I feel it should be played with power.   I thought it was more powerful with the other band.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Jane H. wrote:

Foreigner played at the Bottle and Cork but I found out too late and too broke, all the 70 buck tickets were already sold out by the time i heard of it plus it was 21+ only.

Hmmm... I'll be seeing Foreigner on September 3rd for free at the NYS Fair.  Foreigner was also the 1st real concert I ever saw back in 1978.

L8r... John

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

Jane H. wrote:
=o|-[ wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

Foreigner played at the Bottle and Cork but I found out too late and too broke, all the 70 buck tickets were already sold out by the time i heard of it plus it was 21+ only.

Hmmm... I'll be seeing Foreigner on September 3rd for free at the NYS Fair.  Foreigner was also the 1st real concert I ever saw back in 1978.
L8r... John

part of the price was for open bar and free food, it sounded like one heck of a party/show, also not sure if there were to be other bands or not , the party was five hours I think, 70th anniversary for the venue or something like that, I have never been there. It looks small but they get some big names in there occasionally

Well now... THAT'S different.  Reminds me of the 1st time I saw Smokin' Joe play.  My wife~n~I won tickets to a BluesFest that included all the fixin's (beer, pig roast, BBQ, & several bands).  I'm not sure what it would have cost if Gail hadn't won the 2 tickets, but it DEAFinitely would have been worth what would have been equivalent to $70 in those daze.  Joe was not scheduled to play.  Danny Gatton brought him out to jam with Danny's guitar & band for 1 song.  That was waaaaay back in 1989.  Joe was only 12 years old.  One song & I was hooked. 

Gonna have to wear my JoeB shirt to the Foreigner show & see if I can get to Jason Bonham to get him to sign my copy of "You & Me".

L8r... John

Those are the best photos ever!!! Great job fofopete, you rock!

John-I don't know if you have seen the new Foreigner line-up yet, but they aren't your original Foreinger!  lol  I have seen these guys 3 times now and I'm going to see them again next week....and they are awesome!  These guys rock.  I hate to say it, but I like them better than any previous line-ups.  And they are all such nice guys, especially Jason.  I had the opportunity to meet them all, and they all stood and talked and signed autographs for fans.  I stood and talked with Jason for about 20 minutes.  Wonderful experience.

Of course, by the time you read this, you would have already been to the concert.  Let me know how it was.

Janice

Janice:  The shows were really good (I saw the 4pm one & most of the 8pm one).  I knew that Mick Jones was the only original member still with them.  Foreigner was the 1st real concert I ever went to (back in early '79).  The new singer is perfect for the band.  Jason too!  The weak link imho was actually Jones.  He was good, but not great.  All in all it was a great show(s).  I hung out at the end of the 4pm set to see if I could get Jason to autograph my "You & Me" CD insert (as well as the inserts for Jimmy Page's "Outrider", & Paul Rodgers' "Muddy Water Blues") but he went right into a waiting car (not the tourbus) & left the Fairgrounds, so I couldn't get them signed.  I didn't bother with trying to catch him before or after the 8pm set because I figured I'd run into the same thing.  Oh well..

Rozey wrote:

John-I don't know if you have seen the new Foreigner line-up yet, but they aren't your original Foreinger!  lol  I have seen these guys 3 times now and I'm going to see them again next week....and they are awesome!  These guys rock.  I hate to say it, but I like them better than any previous line-ups.  And they are all such nice guys, especially Jason.  I had the opportunity to meet them all, and they all stood and talked and signed autographs for fans.  I stood and talked with Jason for about 20 minutes.  Wonderful experience.

Of course, by the time you read this, you would have already been to the concert.  Let me know how it was.

Janice

That's great you got to catch two shows.  I wonder if Mick was having an off night because normally he hangs right with the rest of them.  Sorry you were unable to catch up with Jason.  He must have had something to do.  That night I met him, he was so friendly and accomodating to everyone.

Janice

Rozey wrote:

That's great you got to catch two shows.  I wonder if Mick was having an off night because normally he hangs right with the rest of them.  Sorry you were unable to catch up with Jason.  He must have had something to do.  That night I met him, he was so friendly and accomodating to everyone.

Janice

It wasn't like Jason was trying to blow-off the fans, he just didn't want to hang out at the Fair between sets (I don't blame him, I wouldn't either).  He's probably used to people not caring about "the drummer" anyways.  A good show regardless!

L8r... John

Hello All,

I had the same thing in mind, I got Joe to sign the inside poster portion of
the You & Me CD insert and told him that I was going to try to get Jason to
sign it as well.  Joe said that Jason is a nice guy and that he probablly would
sign it.  Joe was right, I caught Jason out by the bus at about 3:15pm right
after the sound check.  I was wearing my You & Me t-shirt and got his attention.
He talked a bit and told me that he enjoyed playing with Joe on the album
and that they recorded it in about 5 days, no extended rehearsals. He said that Joe
would come in, show how the song was going to go, they would run through it
a few times and then record.  It was nice to get to talk to him for a bit, there
was only one other guy that came by when he saw that Jason was over by the fence.
Mick Jones was talking with people and signing stuff also, much bigger crowd around him!
Only problem was that my wife was over guarding our seats and she had the camera,
so I didn't get a picture of me with Jason.

Jim

JHawk-That is awesome you got to meet Jason and get the inside scoop on the recording session with Joe.  What a neat experience.  Jason is a fantastic person.  :-)

Janice

Rozey wrote:

JHawk-That is awesome you got to meet Jason and get the inside scoop on the recording session with Joe.  What a neat experience.  Jason is a fantastic person.  :-)

Janice

Indeed, Janice, it was a great experience!
I saw the change in the middle of Jukebox Hero
to Whole Lotta Love as a nod to Jason, his
father and to Led Zeppelin.  That was my favorite
part of the Foreigner show!  When I meet Jason he
seemed impressed that I was there to see him and
compliment him on his contribution to Joe's album.
Don't get me wrong, the Foreigner show was great,
he did a great job, but I did go to meet him and thank
him for his contribution to the You & Me CD.  Oh, BTW
my wife remembered and loved most of the Foreigner
songs, now I have to buy a few Foreigner CDs for her!

Thanks for your comments Janice,

Jim Jackson
JHawk@twcny.rr.com

JHawk-I love what they have done with Jukebox Hero/Whole Lotta Love.  Make sure you buy your wife the Live in '05 CD with the current line-up.  It is the only Foreigner CD I listen to anymore.

Janice

33 (edited by fotopete 2006-09-13 18:00:00)

Quick update for anyone local to Springfield, MA area. (worth a roadtrip)

Jason will be at the Big E this Saturday (sept 16th) with Foreigner
http://www.thebige.com/

It also a FREE concert for those that may want to bring their "You & Me" cd to get signed.
They will charge you 12 bucks to get on fair grounds (lots to see as well if you have not been there)

I suggest you get there early and enjoy the fair - then score close range seats.

I will be photographing the show - hope to post some Jason shots Monday /Tuesday or after I return from disney.

Fotopete

edit - also as this is a Turning Stone topic - I will be posting that photo gallery soon (I just forgot)

fotopete wrote:

I will be posting that photo gallery soon (I just forgot)

WOW!  Me, too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tararaboom … 251692731/

Thanks for letting me use your camera.

Won't be able to go to the Big E this weekend...perhaps, JB will be there in the future!

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

Your welcome Tara

Here is gallery;  enjoy

http://www.fotopete.com/concerts/turning/index.html

Hey Pete, you got some really nice shots of Joe, Bogie and Mark.  Thanks for sharing.  Barbara