Re: Wille And The Bandits

Well, the recent lockdown seems to have put the planned album release back, I think until about May. However, Wille reports that it’s given the opportunity not only for a bit extra “tweaking” but also to allow some mates to drop by and contribute….
And the other good news; there’s a 20-odd date tour next Spring,  re-doing what was curtailed in 2020, and once again, Welsh-wizard Troy Redfern will be there too…
March 2022
Mar 04 2022 Bideford, The Palladium Club
Mar 05 2022 Truro, The Old Bakery Studios
Mar 06 2022 Exeter Phoenix
Mar 09 2022 Leicester, The Musician
Mar 10 2022 Derby, The Flowerpot
Mar 11 2022 Oxford, The Bullingdon
Mar 16 2022 Preston, The Continental
Mar 17 2022 Nottingham, The Bodega
Mar 18 2022 Glasgow, The Hug & Pint
Mar 19 2022 Newcastle upon Tyne, The Cluny & The Cluny 2
Mar 23 2022 Margate, Elsewhere Record Store
Mar 24 2022 Cambridge Junction
Mar 25 2022 London, 100 Club
Mar 26 2022 Bristol, Thekla
Mar 30 2022 Gloucester Guildhall
Mar 31 2022 Sheffield, The Greystones
April 2022
Apr 01 2022 Selby Town Hall
Apr 02 2022 Buckley, The Tivoli
Apr 06 2022 Guildford, The Star Inn
Apr 07 2022 Wolverhampton, The Robin 2
Apr 08 2022 Bridgwater Arts Centre
Apr 09 2022 Brecon, Theatr Brycheiniog
Apr 21 2022 Bradford, Nightrain
Apr 22 2022 Wimborne, Tivoli Theatre
Apr 23 2022 Shoreham-by-Sea, Ropetackle Arts Centre

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Wylam Brewery; Newcastle - 25-10-22

So, thought it was about time I had a look along to what I regard as my "garden shed" for a gig, since I can see it from my kitchen window. Originally slated for my birthday back in February, I wasn't going to be daunted by a slight re-arrangement; I've waited for a while to catch Samantha Fish, and having Wille & the Bandits as support, well it made it a no-brainer.

So, a shorter set than I'm used to from WATB, who appear to have an extra bandit in the ranks of Wille, Matthew (keys) Harry (bass) & Tom (drums) in the form of Chris Haddon on 2nd guitar; but think of it as WATG "concentrate": while we didn't get the epic Angel, we got a crunching 1970 and other faves like Bad News and Four Million Days. And while there were a few of us fans in among Samantha's followers, from the in the lobby, I would be hanging on too long for Cluny tickets next Spring.

Newcastle; Cluny 2   04-03-23

Wow!!! Just back in from another mind-blowing Wille & the Bandits gig down at Newcastle Cluny - the perfect fit for a Saturday night in 'Toon.

Excellent opening set from singer/songwriter Ren Lawton, another one of Irish roots but now Newcastle-based, to look out for.

As for Wille & the Bandits, was it really back in October, their last visit while supporting Samantha Fish at Wylam Brewery? It's clear that Newcastle loves these guys and these guys love Newcastle (wonder if they've discovered the surfing at Tynemouth?). Judging by the full house, the Samantha Fish tour was a good move; several new faces.

If you still haven't experienced one of their shows, (where have you been?); think of it as 90 minutes of white-water kayaking - without the kayak. You start out easy, heading into the current and before you know it, you're hurtling, bouncing down the cataracts before being spun out into a quiet eddy to catch you breath before being snatched again by the full force of the torrent before being flung over the cascading falls and into the plunge pool where you are spun and turned every which way until you breath is about to give out and you surface for a refreshing lungful, before being rocketed down to the end of the raging waters. You emerge, ears ringing, exhausted and exhilarated. And that's just the instrumental Angel.... never mind other highlights like: - Caught in the Middle; Refuge; Keep It on the Down-Low; Still Go Marching In; Four Million Days; Good Stuff; 1970; Bad News...

Certainly more a "rock" gig than their earlier shows I've caught (as the trio), but they still have a unique sound and not shed the surfer/prog just yet.

The Grove; Byker (Newcastle) 16th March 2024

So, last night was the 1st gig of 2024 for me and also the 1st visit to The Grove, down in deepest Byker - but more on that later...

Making another 1st was seeing new-to-me band Haunt The Woods, a young Cornish, folically-blessed foursome who deftly interweave alt rock, folk, prog and pop with an epic level of pomp and poetic elegance. Granted, they took a little time to warm, but by the end of their allotted time they made quite an impression. Worth noting, the guys have tried to crack Newcastle at least twice before, but their van had other ideas; it was almost third strike for them, but they managed. Worth keeping an eye out for the lads, Johnathan Stafford (Vocals.guitar); Phoenix Elleschild (lead guitar); Jack Hale (bass) & Oliver Bignell (drums).

As for Wille & The Bandits, it was pretty much business as usual; a load of family favourites based around the Kernow Sessions album, making the show an excellent yardstick to measure an unknown venue. Wille was in full growl vocally, while the lap-jack was in full howl as we went through Angel; 4 Million Days all the time vying with the silken skills of Stevie Watts on piano & Hammond with Harry & new-boy Ric Pearce on drums, keeping the backline supple yet tight. The double-whammy of 1970 & Bad News closed the set as usual, but it was great to hear Living Free getting a run-through too.

So, after all that; a quick word about the venue. Well, it does take a little finding for first visits but the bar seems a decent size (don't know about prices...), the gig room I'd put on a par with The Cluny. It's a flat, square space; good sized stage with unusual lighting. The staff are friendly enough and parking is ample either on the street in front or the trading estate behind.