19 (edited by DougH 2022-03-02 21:22:07)

Re: Joe's current band

well J&R hasn't scheduled anything for Canada.. our borders are still not fully open and we just allowed full venues on Mar 1.
_2022.
but looking at Joe's ticket prices in the USA and seeing probably a $170 floor ticket plus service charges..
I can almost say for certain.. I'm 'priced out' of the game

and I won't sit in the  last row of a balcony for $120

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

BarbieD wrote:

I've struggled for years since the backup singers became full time but Lee and Paulie, and Anton and Reese, kept me going. Now they are gone. I saw the band last fall and there was no chemistry or fun being had on the stage that I could see. My bestie walked out before that show ended but I endured it till the end. I'm still scratching my head over Josh Smith and the return of the fricking Theremin. My friend invited me down to Greenville for the show there in early March. I'm going and trying to keep an open mind. Might be my last. But I've had a good run and a ton of fun over the last 10 years. If Joe's schtick now is to be an "entertainer" rather than a "musician," then so be it. Maybe he can be next year's Super Bowl half time show. roll

Funny you say this as my wife and I both felt the same way after seeing him last fall.
We had wonderful seats, right up front and really costly. The show was lifeless for a JB show...I mean Joe was not, but not even he could make up for everything.

The drummer was , well, just lifeless and the whole band lacked the fun factor that has always been there ever since we have been going to shows.

A couple of months later we saw Samantha Fish and the amount of fun and emotion that band left on stage was far more than our last JB show. My wife and I both agreed that if we do go back and see Joe again, that it won't be for those kind of ticket prices.

I still love Joe, but the shows are getting to be more of a let down than i had ever anticipated.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

Glad you enjoyed your show, Jane! big_smile

I'm sorry to report that the Greenville show was great, just not for me. Joe was in great voice and obviously played well. But the rest of the current band (excluding Reese) doesn't do anything for me, the singers make me cringe (nobody should be singing EEEEEAAAAA in Mt. Time except Joe!), and the overall tempo is mostly too slow. I have many opinions about things on stage that I will keep to myself. No more $200+ shows for me. It's too much when you leave bummed out. sad

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Well, I am in agreement that the current ticket prices are such that I must be selective if I intend to attend upcoming performances.
These premium prices sort of play into the original concern I raise when I started this topic/thread - If you are paying top dollar to attend a performance shouldn't you be entitled to know who is actually performing?  I mean the "box of chocolates" answer (never sure what you're biting into) is hard to accept at $200+ a seat.  Just curious (Barbie and Jane) did the recent shows you attended sell out? Please let me know.

I am very happy to know that Jane still find the experience a good one - gives me hope.

I can't believe I'm feeling indifferent to potential upcoming performances.  Makes me a bit melancholy.

Stu41 wrote:

Well, I am in agreement that the current ticket prices are such that I must be selective if I intend to attend upcoming performances.
These premium prices sort of play into the original concern I raise when I started this topic/thread - If you are paying top dollar to attend a performance shouldn't you be entitled to know who is actually performing?  I mean the "box of chocolates" answer (never sure what you're biting into) is hard to accept at $200+ a seat.  Just curious (Barbie and Jane) did the recent shows you attended sell out? Please let me know.

I am very happy to know that Jane still find the experience a good one - gives me hope.

I can't believe I'm feeling indifferent to potential upcoming performances.  Makes me a bit melancholy.

Neither of the last two shows I attended were sell outs (Fall 2021 and Spring 2022). From what I recall, lots of balcony seats and random seats on the floor available at both shows. But Joe still has plenty of people who are new to the scene and don't know any different than what he is now presenting. I attribute the non-sell outs more to CoVid than anything else.

It is definitely a hard pill to swallow buying the tix so far in advance and not knowing who will be in the band. When I bought the tix for Louisville last fall I knew I was taking a chance. But I was craving an outing so took my chances. The best thing about that trip was seeing Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown the night after Joe's gig. Tyler's tix were about $25 vs the $200+ for Joe's. TBSD saved the trip as their show was fricking awesome!

I'm very sad about everything. I never thought I'd see the day when things would take such a drastic turn to make me feel this way. But I'll keep tracking everything here and on Facebook and Instagram as always. Perhaps some day there will be a throw back tour with a throw back band...

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Like a lot if you I'm torn. I remember my first few Joe shows all I wanted was Joe everyone else was a distraction. As time went on I began to appreciate the band especially Carmine and Tal. They really seemed to enjoy playing together. From every thing that was said Kevin was definitely behind the changes when Anton and Michael joined the band. As hard as it was to say goodbye to Carmine and Tal, Anton was a spectacular addition and Michael was probably a step up but Carmine was more then adequate plus his stage presence brought a real cohesion to the stage. Reese of course is definitely the best addition to the band and is still there. I saw the show last month in Clearwater and Joe was spectacular. Lemar was good on drums although it was disappointing not seeing Anton. Hate to be harsh but I just don't get the whole Josh Smith thing. Nothing against Josh personally and Joe certainly knows more in his little finger then I do about music, but to me there are dozens of local guys as talented as Josh. Why Joe has decided that Josh is the one is besides me.  It's Joe's band, I will continue to see Joe at every chance  but if Joe wants to show his appreciation to fans like me that have spent 10's of thousands of dollars over the years put together a band that enjoys playing together like we have seen before.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

25 (edited by Lester 2022-04-04 17:02:01)

Anton and Michael are still listed as band members on Joe’s website.
I suppose they could still appear on a studio album but it’s a bit unfair on the current band members who don’t get a mention.

Lester..

Joe's website is always extremely slow to change band bios
Probably still be the same a yr from now

Lester wrote:

Anton and Michael are still listed as band members on Joe’s website.
I suppose they could still appear on a studio album but it’s a bit unfair on the current band members who don’t get a mention.

Lester..

---------------

@jane I can't listen to Australia Opera House , the audio is so bad,
Esp compared to his other live stuff, heck even the home recording of Mr Kipps is better

---------------

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if Kevin Shirley is still working with the current Joe band or tour?
Was he on the latest Keeping the Blues Alive cruise?

Thanks!

Stu

This thread is ironic, to say the least.

The band that plays with Joe has always been a hot topic in these forums. People get emotionally invested in certain band members and then it makes it difficult when there is a change.

For the past 20 years that I've known JB I can say factually there is no one reason or master plan behind the changes that play out over time.

Just as there are many reasons for band members to change, there are an equal number of reasons why those things wouldn't be published as official communication from Joe.

During his solo career, he's always been billed as "Joe Bonamassa" - not Joe Bonamassa and anyone in particular. Personally, I know who I'd "prefer" to see play with him, but I don't have an unfounded expectation that it MUST be certain band members or I am disappointed.  I've found that if I don't compare to old times or different lineups and I just go to enjoy the show, or enjoy the DVD, or the album it has always worked better for me.  I don't let my great memories from previous ruin my good times today.

Cheers!

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

BTW Anton Fig is touring with Robert Gordon.. He's playing a little bar near where I live that's lucky if it seats 200 people.
guess that's what's become of Anton.
https://www.spot1live.ca/event-details/ … paul-james

---------------

pcornell wrote:

I've found that if I don't compare to old times or different lineups and I just go to enjoy the show, or enjoy the DVD, or the album it has always worked better for me.  I don't let my great memories from previous ruin my good times today.

Cheers!

Well said!

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

pcornell wrote:

This thread is ironic, to say the least.

The band that plays with Joe has always been a hot topic in these forums. People get emotionally invested in certain band members and then it makes it difficult when there is a change.

For the past 20 years that I've known JB I can say factually there is no one reason or master plan behind the changes that play out over time.

Just as there are many reasons for band members to change, there are an equal number of reasons why those things wouldn't be published as official communication from Joe.

During his solo career, he's always been billed as "Joe Bonamassa" - not Joe Bonamassa and anyone in particular. Personally, I know who I'd "prefer" to see play with him, but I don't have an unfounded expectation that it MUST be certain band members or I am disappointed.  I've found that if I don't compare to old times or different lineups and I just go to enjoy the show, or enjoy the DVD, or the album it has always worked better for me.  I don't let my great memories from previous ruin my good times today.

Cheers!

Thanks for your comments and thoughts pcornell.  Your history recap is helpful, but I feel it misses one of the points that runs through this thread.  I can fully agree with you that going to one of Joe's shows has been consistently delightful.  I also agree with your point about fans, like me, get emotionally invested in the band members over time.  I don't expect Joe to publish a lengthy explanation as to why there are changes being made in the band.  But what I do expect is that I am not surprised that members I was expecting to see are suddenly not there.  I feel it is only good business to announce changes as they happen so someone knows who they are going to see when they shell out the dollars for their ticket.

Example:  If I pay $200 for a ticket expecting to see and enjoy Reese on keyboards and then go to the show and find him suddenly absent,  I feel a the very least a bit deceived. 

The band made some big changes over the past year.  (Michael, Anton, Paulie, Lee out, many new faces in) For quite a while the Bonamassa website listed the old members under the title of "the band".   This is just sloppy and unnecessary.  I feel it is also unfair to fans who are "emoitionly attached" to band members.  Bait and switch is an overstatement, fair and proper disclosure is the clear offense here. And more importantly, it could have been easily remedied.  Over the years Joe's band has included some very big talents, when a fan buys a ticket expecting to enjoy performances by these musicians someone should have the courtesy to tell us when they are suddenly not there.

Stu

33 (edited by Lester 2022-08-02 04:35:18)

You make a fair point Stu.
It’s up to Joe who he has in his band but it would be a courtesy if nothing else to update his website with any personnel changes.

Edit: I see that Joe no longer lists his band members on the main site.
Thanks Jane - if that was down to you.

My above post is no longer valid and I’m happy to retract it.

Lester

@stu41 @Lester as long as Joe Bonamassa is playing in the Joe Bonamassa band I disagree with the "bait and switch" false advertising claim.

---------------

35 (edited by Lester 2022-08-02 04:36:54)

DougH wrote:

@stu41 @Lester as long as Joe Bonamassa is playing in the Joe Bonamassa band I disagree with the "bait and switch" false advertising claim.

Wasn’t aware I had agreed.
My post only related to the fact that Joe’s website needed to be updated, this has now been done.
Now that band members are no longer listed, this topic has lost some of it’s relevance.

Lester..