Re: Joe's current band

well i don't have the best ear to gauge those things. big_smile ...i was listening in my truck which has a lame stereo as well. I was surprised though at all the things Anton was doing in certain spots, that I never noticed live or on other recordings...of the same songs etc. I guess it was I was able to hear more from the mics near him? I was going to post in the what Joe song(s) are you listening to lol but i put it here cause it had me thinking of this.

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if Kevin Shirley is still working with the current Joe band or tour?
Was he on the latest Keeping the Blues Alive cruise?

Thanks!

Stu

This thread is ironic, to say the least.

The band that plays with Joe has always been a hot topic in these forums. People get emotionally invested in certain band members and then it makes it difficult when there is a change.

For the past 20 years that I've known JB I can say factually there is no one reason or master plan behind the changes that play out over time.

Just as there are many reasons for band members to change, there are an equal number of reasons why those things wouldn't be published as official communication from Joe.

During his solo career, he's always been billed as "Joe Bonamassa" - not Joe Bonamassa and anyone in particular. Personally, I know who I'd "prefer" to see play with him, but I don't have an unfounded expectation that it MUST be certain band members or I am disappointed.  I've found that if I don't compare to old times or different lineups and I just go to enjoy the show, or enjoy the DVD, or the album it has always worked better for me.  I don't let my great memories from previous ruin my good times today.

Cheers!

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

BTW Anton Fig is touring with Robert Gordon.. He's playing a little bar near where I live that's lucky if it seats 200 people.
guess that's what's become of Anton.
https://www.spot1live.ca/event-details/ … paul-james

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

And hearing you say that long ago has helped me enjoy a lot by keeping that in mind. For sure

pcornell wrote:

The band that plays with Joe has always been a hot topic in these forums. People get emotionally invested in certain band members and then it makes it difficult when there is a change.

For the past 20 years that I've known JB I can say factually there is no one reason or master plan behind the changes that play out over time.

Just as there are many reasons for band members to change, there are an equal number of reasons why those things wouldn't be published as official communication from Joe.

During his solo career, he's always been billed as "Joe Bonamassa" - not Joe Bonamassa and anyone in particular. Personally, I know who I'd "prefer" to see play with him, but I don't have an unfounded expectation that it MUST be certain band members or I am disappointed.  I've found that if I don't compare to old times or different lineups and I just go to enjoy the show, or enjoy the DVD, or the album it has always worked better for me.  I don't let my great memories from previous ruin my good times today.

Cheers!

pcornell wrote:

I've found that if I don't compare to old times or different lineups and I just go to enjoy the show, or enjoy the DVD, or the album it has always worked better for me.  I don't let my great memories from previous ruin my good times today.

Cheers!

Well said!

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

pcornell wrote:

Cheers!

Thanks for your comments and thoughts pcornell.  Your history recap is helpful, but I feel it misses one of the points that runs through this thread.  I can fully agree with you that going to one of Joe's shows has been consistently delightful.  I also agree with your point about fans, like me, get emotionally invested in the band members over time.  I don't expect Joe to publish a lengthy explanation as to why there are changes being made in the band.  But what I do expect is that I am not surprised that members I was expecting to see are suddenly not there.  I feel it is only good business to announce changes as they happen so someone knows who they are going to see when they shell out the dollars for their ticket.

Example:  If I pay $200 for a ticket expecting to see and enjoy Reese on keyboards and then go to the show and find him suddenly absent,  I feel a the very least a bit deceived. 

The band made some big changes over the past year.  (Michael, Anton, Paulie, Lee out, many new faces in) For quite a while the Bonamassa website listed the old members under the title of "the band".   This is just sloppy and unnecessary.  I feel it is also unfair to fans who are "emoitionly attached" to band members.  Bait and switch is an overstatement, fair and proper disclosure is the clear offense here. And more importantly, it could have been easily remedied.  Over the years Joe's band has included some very big talents, when a fan buys a ticket expecting to enjoy performances by these musicians someone should have the courtesy to tell us when they are suddenly not there.

Stu

44 (edited by Lester 2022-08-02 04:35:18)

You make a fair point Stu.
It’s up to Joe who he has in his band but it would be a courtesy if nothing else to update his website with any personnel changes.

Edit: I see that Joe no longer lists his band members on the main site.
Thanks Jane - if that was down to you.

My above post is no longer valid and I’m happy to retract it.

Lester

@stu41 @Lester as long as Joe Bonamassa is playing in the Joe Bonamassa band I disagree with the "bait and switch" false advertising claim.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

46 (edited by Lester 2022-08-02 04:36:54)

DougH wrote:

@stu41 @Lester as long as Joe Bonamassa is playing in the Joe Bonamassa band I disagree with the "bait and switch" false advertising claim.

Wasn’t aware I had agreed.
My post only related to the fact that Joe’s website needed to be updated, this has now been done.
Now that band members are no longer listed, this topic has lost some of it’s relevance.

Lester..