Re: What song are you listening to right now?

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - We Are Not Alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGVhwgHIy74  - don't particularly like the song, but the video made me smile for 3.31  minutes smile

Jethro Tull - Benefit (50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition) 2021

Why does everybody say “tricky 2nd album”, when more often than not it’s the 3rd one that’s the lynch-pin to future success?

Very much the case here, 2nd album Stand Up was a complete right turn stylistically from opening statement That Was…; and of course Aqualung was a quantum leap for Tull, so poor old Benefit gets shamefully overlooked.

Shame, as it saw Martin Barre really settling in to the lead guitarist role and the inclusion of John Evan on keys which really beefed up the sound. Maybe it’s because the two best known tracks from this “era” The Witch’s Promise and Teacher weren’t included on the album (though Teacher replaced Alive & Well & Living In on the US album release; though Inside was a single release. (Tull had to play a canny game with single releases, to get the air-play but not sound like “sell-outs”.) In between though there are some great tracks such as; With You There To Help Me and Nothing To Say, as good as anything Anderson has ever written.

In among the associated tracks, there are some gems, Singing All Day not included; the mighty Sweet Dream, 17 (sounding very much like T-Rex to my ear) and seeming countless versions of Teacher & Witch’s Promise

The “Live” Cds/DVDs include remixed 1970 concerts from Tanglewood and a mono sourced mix from Chicago, both feature early takes on My God which appeared on the next studio album, Aqualung as well as teasers as to what became the intro for Locomotive Breath in John Evan's Beethoven noodlings.

To sum up, to dismiss this album as a mere filler in almost criminal; in among the road-weariness, it shows clearly the foundations for what was to become Aqualung, just take the time to listen.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Mark Pontin - Kaleidoscope (2021)

Mark’s 3rd album, (1st on Lunaria Records) and 6 years in the making, a mere blink of the eye in certain Scandinavian countries, and Wow! it’s a treat worth the waiting for.

Bookended between the shimmering Sunrise and Phoenix, though the latter does build to a Moorish-flavoured crescendo, Mark really explores a rich sonic pallet for the ears: much like a kaleidoscope changes at the slightest turn.. To my ear, most of this, like the album cover, seems to nod to around 1973, with Don’t Sleep reminding me of an album from back then, Rockin’ With Curly Leads. While Starmaker has a big, lazy, dirty riff, from somewhere between Robin Trower and the last glory days of Glam-rock.

Have to love the self-effacement of This Will Never Be A Hit, a slightly funky number that Glenn Hughes would have sung in his sleep, should have credited it to “Eddy” Sheeran, and watch the cheques fly through the door… Also love the ambitious, baroque string intro to Roll With Me Baby and sublime ballad. And then, with a deft flick, we get the barnstorming Forever, with an aftertaste of REO Speedwagon. Hotel Diablo is a funky little segue to Hell’s Kitchen.

Waiting is another ballad, strong input from Ayesha (“her indoors”) that is a really strong number as are both versions of Everything; Today and Tomorrow that top and tail the album.

Very early/mid 1970s flavoured, but not the frenetic takes such as JD Simo produce; much more kicked-back, but some very tasty, strong numbers.

6,592 (edited by BansheeUK 2021-11-30 09:39:22)

Deep Purple - Turning To Crime (2021)

Oh No! Not another bloody [Covid] covers album! Well, yes: but hang on, this is Deep Purple we’re talking about, so if one thing is guaranteed, it’s the quality of the musicianship, even if Gillan can no longer hit the high A in full voice. Purple’s early days are peppered with cover versions, some more peppery than others; they regularly end their shows with Lucille and even in their spin-off bands, covers abounded.

So, is it all good? Aside from the arguments about covers - too close and they’re pointless, too different and it’s heresy etc… Well, 7 and 7 is, lacks the bit of the Alice Cooper cover some 40 years back, and Battle of New Orleans sounds more like Litttle Feat than Dixie Chicken does, However, tongues were firmly in cheeks for Rockin’ Pneumonia & Boogie Woogie Flu and Jenny Take A Ride rollicks along like Gillan Band of old and I can’t remember Dylan’s Watching The River Flow being so upbeat. For better or worse, the Purps are playing these numbers with obvious affection, but as Deep Purple. Seger’s Lucifer and Cream’s White Room work especially well and Ian Paice must be reliving his youth, swinging to Ray Charles’ Let The Good Times Roll.. The working of contemporary’s Fleetwood Mac’s Oh Well is quite good; Morse may not the be Blues God, but he’s demi-good enough to sit at the high table in the pantheon of Guitar.

Closing, Caught In The Act is something of a jam between Airey and Morse, but lacks the call & response you used to get between Lord & Blackmore back in the day. The only time it does happen is when Glover’s bass leads from Dazed & Confused (I Know, Purple playing Zeppelin - shut the back door!) into Spencer Davis’ Gimme Some Loving.

As a “something to do” project, the guys aren’t showing themselves up (too much) but it doesn’t crackle like, say, Bowie’s Pin-ups; use the shared Shapes of Things as the comparison.

Robert Plant / Alison Krauss - Raise The Roof  (2021)

Hmm, keeping a sort of Zeppelin theme going here, aren’t I? Oh well, in for a pfennig… So, Mr Plant and Mrs Krauss team up again; first time for almost 15 years since the highly acclaimed Raising Sand, so you can hardly accuse them of cashing in. That said, it’s still a winning combination, the voices blend so well together across the [country-based] genres. However, raise the roof? Can’t Let Go is about as pacey as things get, so barely raising the blood-pressure. That said, damn it’s just finely worked collection of mainly covers to drift away on.

From 2013, there’s Calexico’s Quattro (World Drifts In) , Everly Brothers’ Price of Love; taken a long way from Bryan Ferry’s version. From ‘71, there’s a cover of Anne Briggs’ Go Your Way and from 3 years earlier, Alan Touissant’s Trouble With My Lover.. Further back still (1966), an unearthed gem Searching For My Love by Bobby Moore (NOT THAT one..) & The Rhythm Aces. Coming back to this century, there’s a cover of a much worked Randy Weeks number Can’t Let Go before diving back to the 1960s again for Bert Jansch’s It Don’t Bother Me. A song that sounds older than it actually is come next, Olla Belle Reed’s You Led Me To The Wrong, a bluegrass classic. And another you may think that’s not as old as you’d first think, Last Kind Word Blues by Geeshire Williams but has it’s roots in the 1920s.

High & Lonesome is the only “new” track on the album, written between Plant & Krauss with T-Bone Burnett. A gem of a Merle Haggard number, Going Where The Lonely Go follows. Somebody Was Watching Over Me by Brenda Burns (as performed by Pops Staples) is a steady but driving number. Lashing out on the deluxe album, we get Alison in almost full Country for Hank William’s My Heart Would Know (just holds back from yodelling…). Not to be outdone, Plant get the harmonica out for the hypnotic beat of Lucinda Williams’ You Can’t Rule Me.

A really, genre-straddling smooth listen; like I said, barely raises the blood-pressure but sometimes, less is more.

Curse of Lono - People In Cars (2021)

I was going to write this up a couple of days ago…. but a bottle of Chardonnay Semillon got the better of me. As Tilerman told me a few weeks ago, this is Curse of Lono’s swan-song album, so I couldn’t see it off “dry”: I’ve been hooked by this band’s catchy melancholic slices of Americana since they were born from the ashes of Hey Negrita.

Felix Bechtolsheimer has always been one to show the bruises on his soul, and what’s passed over the last 18 months has left a few more marks; this and the inactivity and more factors has decided to draw a curtain on this little chapter, by mutual agreement. This has left a an album where the “fracture” shows; while most has the trademark harmonies over Felix’ Lou Reed husky vocals and the haunting atmospherics of Joe’s guitars and Dani keys and the incessant rhythms of Charis & Neil and number of the tracks are seemingly more stripped back, cellos provide the atmosphere and most of the backing come via longtime collaborator/producer Oli Bayston. Damn though, it’s still a fine album; reminding me at times of Gavin Friday (bet that’s got some of you hitting Google…)

So, playing this through again, it’s very bitter-sweet; I’ve seen these guys as supports, festival heads and tour headliners and they’ve always, always impressed. Sad that this will soon be no more, but glad I was there, have the autographs and the t-shirts. To Felix, and Charis; to Dani & Joe and Neil, thanks for a Hell of a ride and here’s to the future and roads that cross again. Thanks guys.

Nick Johnston's new one is out, his 6th now. You have to give it a chance to appreciate his arrangements and his guitar. I'm not sure yet on the added vocals, I think up to now he has been all instrumental. But all in all his guitar work is spectacular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3hUW4GL26A

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Milam Palmo · Robben Ford  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfaPfRg0fwk

I cut my Tull teeth on Benefit, then went back and bought That Was and Stand Up. I really wasn't aware at the time that it was their 3rd album. What sealed it for me that they were a great band was their appearance on American Bandstand in June of '69 I think it was, could have been June of '70. They did play Teacher and followed with Witches Promise. The young audience did not know what to make of them, even Dick Clark was a bit flustered. I got a good laugh out of it

BansheeUK wrote:

Jethro Tull - Benefit (50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition) 2021

Why does everybody say “tricky 2nd album”, when more often than not it’s the 3rd one that’s the lynch-pin to future success?

Very much the case here, 2nd album Stand Up was a complete right turn stylistically from opening statement That Was…; and of course Aqualung was a quantum leap for Tull, so poor old Benefit gets shamefully overlooked.

Shame, as it saw Martin Barre really settling in to the lead guitarist role and the inclusion of John Evan on keys which really beefed up the sound. Maybe it’s because the two best known tracks from this “era” The Witch’s Promise and Teacher weren’t included on the album (though Teacher replaced Alive & Well & Living In on the US album release; though Inside was a single release. (Tull had to play a canny game with single releases, to get the air-play but not sound like “sell-outs”.) In between though there are some great tracks such as; With You There To Help Me and Nothing To Say, as good as anything Anderson has ever written.

In among the associated tracks, there are some gems, Singing All Day not included; the mighty Sweet Dream, 17 (sounding very much like T-Rex to my ear) and seeming countless versions of Teacher & Witch’s Promise

The “Live” Cds/DVDs include remixed 1970 concerts from Tanglewood and a mono sourced mix from Chicago, both feature early takes on My God which appeared on the next studio album, Aqualung as well as teasers as to what became the intro for Locomotive Breath in John Evan's Beethoven noodlings.

To sum up, to dismiss this album as a mere filler in almost criminal; in among the road-weariness, it shows clearly the foundations for what was to become Aqualung, just take the time to listen.

Many thanks for this, I have not listened to much of the new release yet. I see where you loaded Pain & Sorrow on the Utube from 11/19 at Springfield MA. At least I assume that is you, I am going to go listen to it now

reo l wrote:

Milam Palmo · Robben Ford  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfaPfRg0fwk

6,599 (edited by Curby 2021-12-02 20:48:49)

BansheeUK wrote:

Mark Pontin - Kaleidoscope (2021)

Mark’s 3rd album, (1st on Lunaria Records) and 6 years in the making, a mere blink of the eye in certain Scandinavian countries, and Wow! it’s a treat worth the waiting for.

Bookended between the shimmering Sunrise and Phoenix, though the latter does build to a Moorish-flavoured crescendo, Mark really explores a rich sonic pallet for the ears: much like a kaleidoscope changes at the slightest turn.. To my ear, most of this, like the album cover, seems to nod to around 1973, with Don’t Sleep reminding me of an album from back then, Rockin’ With Curly Leads. While Starmaker has a big, lazy, dirty riff, from somewhere between Robin Trower and the last glory days of Glam-rock.

Have to love the self-effacement of This Will Never Be A Hit, a slightly funky number that Glenn Hughes would have sung in his sleep, should have credited it to “Eddy” Sheeran, and watch the cheques fly through the door… Also love the ambitious, baroque string intro to Roll With Me Baby and sublime ballad. And then, with a deft flick, we get the barnstorming Forever, with an aftertaste of REO Speedwagon. Hotel Diablo is a funky little segue to Hell’s Kitchen.

Waiting is another ballad, strong input from Ayesha (“her indoors”) that is a really strong number as are both versions of Everything; Today and Tomorrow that top and tail the album.

Very early/mid 1970s flavoured, but not the frenetic takes such as JD Simo produce; much more kicked-back, but some very tasty, strong numbers.

I liked this artist very much and thanks for the shout.  Bought his first album which rocks, but Kaleidoscope grows on you fast.
Really like the tone and the songs are refreshing to my ears.

Song with No Words  · David Crosby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNwFItm … mp;index=7

reo l wrote:

Josué    ‘Llorona’  (The Voice Kids Colombia 2021)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SyfA6FLa7g - !!!

sporadically returning to some of my posts here - none of this kids had even won ... what... #3 was nailing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8-EzqSHgo

Sue Foley's "Pinky's Blues" - one of my favorite traditional blues albums of the year. It's fantastic.
https://open.spotify.com/album/7g9Y9Wfx … nI_JJwa41g

this is fairly amazing and I have not heard him before. My son knew him and gave me this. He transitions through 18 songs in just over 11 minutes, then adds his own solo at the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH47XVqZboY

I have always been an early Genesis fan, and as a very poor guitarist myself have much admired the work of Steve Hackett. He is putting out some great shows now in England and elsewhere. I know, Nad's vocals are not quite as good as Peter and Phil's, but they are good enough for remakes. Endeavor to see them if you get the chance, you won't regret it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpN8kwNGly0

ahsmith33 wrote:

I have always been an early Genesis fan, and as a very poor guitarist myself have much admired the work of Steve Hackett. He is putting out some great shows now in England and elsewhere. I know, Nad's vocals are not quite as good as Peter and Phil's, but they are good enough for remakes. Endeavor to see them if you get the chance, you won't regret it

I do endeavour to see them every chance I get and I don't regret it. My only concert of 2021 was Steve Hackett in October on the Seconds Out tour. Tomorrow I shall essay to buy tickets for his 2022 Foxtrot @ 50 tour smile

You know, I would much rather see his band than Genesis on their Last Domino tour with Phil in a wheelchair. He will be coming to the states next year but these are rescheduled concerts due to Covid. The closest he gets to me is Atlanta GA in April at the Variety Playhouse. That venue sucks, I would never go back there ever again to see anybody

NickSlikk2112 wrote:
ahsmith33 wrote:

I do endeavour to see them every chance I get and I don't regret it. My only concert of 2021 was Steve Hackett in October on the Seconds Out tour. Tomorrow I shall essay to buy tickets for his 2022 Foxtrot @ 50 tour smile