Re: What song are you listening to right now?

from a party I didn't get to attend, but it sure looks like a good time was had by all. I especially like the flashlight slide and the fact that it is a jam instead of the straight version on the CD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-cciUnP44

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Beth Hart - Bad Woman Blues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRiPtg9EFk

I Don't Need No Doctor John Scofield & John Mayer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCWsh3Unl8

Haven't heard this song in years, then of all places it turned up in a closing scene of Supernatural

It's bounced round for the best part of 70 years and covered by many artist and you can argue between yourselves as to whose version is best but I reckon  Willie Nelson here sets the benchmark..
(hankies at the ready...…)

Blues Eyes Cryin' In The Rain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA644rSZX1A

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Dan Tyminski  "Heads You Win Tails I Lose"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OTPMIKID08

Watching "Cars" videos on Vernon Reid's twitter ( very cool and interesting twitter and instagram page https://twitter.com/vurnt22 and  @vurnt22 )

"This music video literally REVOLUTIONIZED the genre. Cheesy as it may seem now. CHRLX (Charlie Levi & Alex Weil) introduced keying & masking effects that were unheard of (unseen of?) in visual media before. The Cars - You Might Think https://twitter.com/vurnt22/status/1173562562606260224 "

Kris Barras - Light It Up  (2019)

Well, this re-sets the benchmark for 2019, probably only 2 upcoming albums to dislodge it, and what a rocking ride it is. Anthemic, defiant, foot-stomping, and that’s just the opener. Kris, along with Josiah have looked back over the last couple of albums, not with a view to re-work but just to tighten here and there and check the odd gauge. I suppose it has helped that Kris has obviously taken some notes while spending time with Supersonic Blues Machine (and if you have Billy Gibbons on speed-dial, why not), put some “English” on these new influences and produced one of the best British hard Blues albums in many a year.

BansheeUK wrote:

Well, this re-sets the benchmark for 2019, probably only 2 upcoming albums to dislodge it, and what a rocking ride it is. Anthemic, defiant, foot-stomping, and that’s just the opener. Kris, along with Josiah have looked back over the last couple of albums, not with a view to re-work but just to tighten here and there and check the odd gauge. I suppose it has helped that Kris has obviously taken some notes while spending time with Supersonic Blues Machine (and if you have Billy Gibbons on speed-dial, why not), put some “English” on these new influences and produced one of the best British hard Blues albums in many a year.

Excellent shout!  The songs have a Foreigner feel to them in a very good way.  Fresh music played well.

Odd, but I don't hear BG on this one....

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Excellent shout!  The songs have a Foreigner feel to them in a very good way.  Fresh music played well.

Think it's the 3rd track,  Vegas Son,  has a slightly "funky" edge to it that I could imagine a pre-Eliminator Rev Billy G laconic vocal really lifting  this song, that  and there's some really sharp changes going on in there.

On thing's for certain, Kris isn't just a rising star,  he's verging on Supernova....

6,058 (edited by Curby 2019-09-17 03:31:20)

BansheeUK wrote:
Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Think it's the 3rd track,  Vegas Son,  has a slightly "funky" edge to it that I could imagine a pre-Eliminator Rev Billy G laconic vocal really lifting  this song, that  and there's some really sharp changes going on in there.

On thing's for certain, Kris isn't just a rising star,  he's verging on Supernova....

I definitely agree this guy's a budding superstar armed with anthemic material already.  Still early for 2019 but a top five entry for sure.  I bought the album and pretty much all the songs are superb with "Vegas Sun", "Rain" and  "Pride is Forever" my early faves.

I just love this bit of music history.....

https://youtu.be/ELoa0lPW35o

6,060 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-09-20 02:56:49)

Sam Fender - Hypersonic Missiles  (2019)

Very much seems to be "flavour of the month" over here and not bad when at 23 you release your debut album on Polydor. If you haven't come across him, he's been dubbed the "Shields Springsteen", firstly as he's from North Shields, which is downriver, east of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and secondly because his music sound is very much Springsteen influenced (aside from one track That Sound which would be more at home on an 80s Cure album).

My main buzz is that he's good, probably the best "sound" out of Tyneside in over 20 years, certainly enough for the region to be forgiven for Cheryl... Whether he'll be another Mark Knopfler is for  time to tell, meanwhile he's set himself an impressive start point.

B the way,  if you think his accent sounds like someone from the series Vera - he played a character in the very first episode!!! Must be those amazing cheekbones and  that jaw-line; last time I saw anything that sharp on a guy's face it was called Gillette...

Tour:-
28/09/2019 Great American Music Hall  San Francisco, CA, US
30/09/2019 Troubadour  Los Angeles, CA, US
03/10/2019 Dada Dallas  Dallas, TX, US
04/10/2019 ACL Festival  Austin, TX, US
06/10/2019 Globe Hall  Denver, CO, US
08/10/2019 Fine Line Music Café  Minneapolis, MN, United States
10/10/2019 3500 N. Lincoln  Chicago, IL, US
12/10/2019 Horseshoe Tavern  Toronto, CA
14/10/2019 L'Astral  Montreal, CA!
15/10/2019 The Sinclair  Cambridge, MA, US
17/10/2019 The Bowery Ballroom  New York, NY, US
19/10/2019 XL Live  Harrisburg, PA, United States
20/10/2019 U Street Music Hall  Washington, DC, US

05/11/2019 Melkweg  Amsterdam, Netherlands
06/11/2019 La Madeleine  Bruxelles, BE
08/11/2019 Schlachtof  Wiesbaden, DE
09/11/2019 Live Music Hall  Koln, DE
12/11/2019 Astra Kulturhaus  Berlin, DE
13/11/2019 Backstage Werk  München, Germany
15/11/2019 La Maroquinerie  Paris, France

All UK dates bar Plymouth are sold out - the 4 Newcastle ones sold out the day they were announced!

I found a really old photo of Alex and Geddy from the Exit Stage Left tour, both with very long hair and Alex looking a lot like Little Lord Fauntleroy ............... hilarious. This is a better recording from the R40 tour, and on my birthday 4 years ago. I am very sad that they won't tour any longer, but I understand and respect Neil's decision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BA8T1Bt3Ms

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Watching Gary Clark Jr jam out on Kimmel..."Your Love"

Murfdog

Jack J Hutchinson - Who Feeds The Wolf  (2019)

Rave, rave, rave. RAVE 1973 rave, rave, Allmans; rave Rave rave The Eagles with a touch of Zepp. Rave, rave, period rag-top and cruise with this blasting... Rave rave rave....

Yeah, I like this, A LOT!! Forty-five minutes of sheer bliss. This won't put JJH on the map, they'll be re-drawing the thing round him. As Douglas Adams would probably have said, it's like having your brains smashed out with a piece of lemon, wrapped round a gold brick...

BansheeUK wrote:

Rave, rave, rave. RAVE 1973 rave, rave, Allmans; rave Rave rave The Eagles with a touch of Zepp. Rave, rave, period rag-top and cruise with this blasting... Rave rave rave....

Yeah, I like this, A LOT!! Forty-five minutes of sheer bliss. This won't put JJH on the map, they'll be re-drawing the thing round him. As Douglas Adams would probably have said, it's like having your brains smashed out with a piece of lemon, wrapped round a gold brick...

I've noticed you're posting new music on this thread rather than ones you've created.  Clever!  Seeing all the unresponded posts that I've started and deleted I think this is a good idea.

Who Feeds the Wolf hasn't been released here save one song so the verdict's still out for me.  I am a big admirer of JJH and will be sure to check it out.  Thanks for the alert, Mike.

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

I've noticed you're posting new music on this thread rather than ones you've created.  Clever!  Seeing all the unresponded posts that I've started and deleted I think this is a good idea.

Who Feeds the Wolf hasn't been released here save one song so the verdict's still out for me.  I am a big admirer of JJH and will be sure to check it out.  Thanks for the alert, Mike.

I think the download is available now from Jack's site, physical copies available from the 18th Oct; I got mine early being on the crowd-funding campaign.

Seriously though, this is a very strong, cohesive album, Jack doing what Jack does best; Justified is a strong track, but doesn't represent the album, I  think Haunted Bones is the better of the 2 but you got to hear the other 9...

As for the other, sneaky I know, but better to spring an ambush than people looking at the name and deciding before hearing...

6,066 (edited by Curby 2019-10-01 09:52:32)

This is a tough song for me to listen to, but so beautiful.  I saw him with Utopia back in my college days and that was such an awesome concert.  He played this song solo on a Steinway grand piano.  Many years later, in the middle of the night, I found myself praying for my wife's recovery from an 11 hour surgery and fell asleep listening to this song on repeat on my iPod.

https://youtu.be/VoULZIePJZ4

Think I'm gonna take a break from the forum for awhile, but I'll be back music lovers.