19 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-12-21 06:39:30)

Re: Rebecca Downes

Sedgefield Manor House - Dec 1st

Can’t help but feel that it must have been a a daunting experience, to be seemingly pinned to the fireplace wall and a packed room between you (as the band) and the exits… However, this doesn’t take 2 things into account; firstly, the band in question was Rebecca Downes backed as ever by Steve Birkett and with added Tara Simms in a stripped down, semi-acoustic show. And secondly, this is County Durham which has become a second-home for Rebecca (three gigs in the area this year…) so there was a lot of love in the room for this intimate and near exclusive show. In fact, the band themselves described the set up as something of a “love-in”.

So as well as being acoustic, the show had another slightly unusual aspect to it as in the run up, ticket holders were invited to submit questions to Rebecca, Steve & Tara which were put to them between batches of songs, revieling some interesting insights behind the stage personas, back-stage shenanigans and the workings of a band, on the road and in the studio.

And so to the music: stripped down of any backline or keyboards the backing may have been, still managing 7 guitars between them though; but Rebecca, Steve & Tara brought their “A” game along, starting the evening with a powerful one-two of Back To The Start & Night Train. before settling back and dusting off some little gems from the very first Real Life EP, such as Breaking Your Heart and You Don’t Know and underplayed gold from the Back To The Start album such as Little Girl. Not only were they plundering the treasure chest but the intimacy of the evening allowed Rebecca to step away from the showcase Etta James songbook to tease the audience with a slightly left-field Pink cover - One That Got Away and a very special rendition of Bonnie Raitt’s I Can’t Make You Love Me. It was interesting after hearing Rebecca field the question about other artist influences and how eclectic her choice were, as in a couple, slightly jazzy numbers, I was hearing Peggy Lee coming through. if that wasn't enough, at the end we got an impromptu cover of Hallelujah, probably one of the best covers of  the song I've heard.

Such a great set throughout the evening’s performance, a veritable career showcase as we were also treated to a couple of brand new numbers from the next album (due 2019) as well as the rarer covers. It didn’t so much show where Rebecca and Steve have come from and heading to as songwriters as much as it showed the great connection they share as a writing/performing team and adding Tara to the mix, that’s like ice in the Gin &Tonic...

This sort of partnership, along with a driving work ethic goes to show how and why Rebecca & the band have risen through the ranks comparatively quickly. You can only hope that the opportunity to kick back and do such a relaxed show, among friends, was as much a treat for the band as it surely was for the audience. (Though I bet they put a load of sweat into rehearsing for it….)

Back To The Start - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8EOC21wMRI
You Don't Know / One That Got Away (cover) / Back To The Start - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ4RWiOyesk
Little Girl / It's That Easy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2AixjryjKU
Believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE4ZGqRbPqY
Hallejulah (cover) (live) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdXUHiB59I

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Little Christmas present from Rebecca & Steve, with thank for all the support in 2018 and best wishes for the Season:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noG7hcxJHAg

Rebecca's new album, More Sinner Then Saint is available now for pre-order direct from website store (NOT Pledge) ahead of May 24th release. All original tracks plus guest appearances from Magnum's Tony Clarkin and Alan Nimmo.

Some tasty bundles, limited vinyl  and free UK postage.... Go on, you know you want to....

https://www.rebeccadownes.com/new-album … 916b84b7d3

22 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-03-22 05:05:30)

Well, here we go again, Plugger's hat on, Rebecca is coming to the North East to launch her new Album, More Sinner than Saint.
Album teaser - http://smarturl.it/MoreSinnerThanSaint
The Georgian Theatre Stockton upon Tees is the venue and May 31st is the date.
Local lad & singer/songwriter John Stainthorp will be opening.
Tickets can be purchased at
https://www.ents24.com/stockton-on-tees … ign=alerts
And if you want to see the new video, here she is rocking it up, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOM3dQwq490

23 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-06-03 03:03:59)

Stockton-On-Tees; Georgian Theatre 31-5-19

Powerhouse performance from Rebecca and the band on Friday night at the launch party for her latest album More Sinner Than Saint. All the times I've seen her, I don't think I've seen her quite as fired up as she sang her heart out getting as many of the new songs out there as the time allowed. And I know I haven't heard her quite as loud, but well handled by the venue sound guy. A couple of "older" favourites were dropped in to the mix but the big showcase covers (Rather Go Blind etc) were dropped in favour of something with a bit more Midlands attitude, Zepp's Rock & Roll, which really made Lloyd smile behind  the drums... Certainly a lot more rock & roll and R&B, but she carries it off with disarming ease.

Post from "the other side" (Aynsley Lister Forum) from Tilerman who first put me on to Rebecca and who presented the above show (and the acoustic one before Christmas...)

If you have Face Book Access, can I recommend you watch this video. (I’ve hinted they put it on you tube. ) I have always told people that Rebeccas voice is the same whether she is using a PA or not. This is in the dressing room after her set, and she and co writer Steve are discussing how to interpret the new songs on stage. Watch how they just waltz through a song together, a song they haven’t played for a YEAR! And the passion she puts into it.
Please, Enjoy x

https://www.facebook.com/RebeccaDownes/ … on_generic

25 (edited by BansheeUK 2020-02-25 09:10:51)

Darlington Forum - 21st Feb
As much as I try to keep up with the weather forecasts this time of year (well, seems ages since we had a “snow-day” off work), I think I must have lost track of all these named weather systems we’re currently experiencing; I don't recall hearing anything about a Hurricane Rebecca. Take it from me though, she hit Darlington last night and is due to track north to Edinburgh before swinging west into Glasgow over the rest of the week-end. And if last night was anything to go by, expect heavy outbursts of impassioned vocals along with driving rhythms and and gale force R’n'B. However, there will be brighter intervals of funk and soul but these will be short-lived when the storm reaches it’s full force climax.
Yep, our Rebecca is back on the road, defying the weather with her equally forceful blend of Blues, R’n'B, Rock & Soul with the ever steadfast Steve Birkett and a little bit of fresh, but well seasoned blood in the band for this, only her 2nd visit to Darlington. But what a return, especially for those who defied the weather (or won’t turned by Eastender’s 35th anniversary). Last May, I had the privilage to be at Stockton for the More Sinner Than Saint official launch, (as were the evening’s openers John S & George P), one of favourite releases of 2019 and I’m happy to report, nine months on and the songs which were the majority of the set, have really bedded in and road hardened that you’d think they were standards. It’s one of those albums, each time you play there’s a new favourite but I was especially pleased to hear Chains Fall Down live last night, but if I were in Glasgow on Sunday, it may be Breathe Out; great job by Steve, mirroring Tony Clarkin’s solo btw.
That’s not to say all the old material has been swept under the rug, the Night Train still pounds the tracks; the Pool of Tears must now be a lake; Sweetness is still there as a band showcase romp and Believe, well yes we do, that’s why we keep coming back, time and again because even when it’s not asked, we all love a “Little Help From Our Friends

Rebecca & Stve are releasing an album of acoustic re-workings from  their previous 2 studio albums on 7th April. Stripped Back is available for pre-order with t-shirt and lyric book bundles now from Rebecca Downes web-site.

Darlington Forum - 17-2-2023

Got to feel sorry for the guys who have to shop around for the insurance on Darlington's Forum: last three visits have been the sort of shows that shake the foundations, and then along comes Rebecca Downes & gang, and just blow the walls out.

Mind you, it's hardly surprising; she's already weakened the structure on her previous 2 visits, but this one should have happened last March but it had to be cancelled by; well, let's call it for what it is, the "Killjoy" virus, because it stops prohibits you from what you enjoy most - unless you're a Tory minister (special off0er this week - free satire...). Still, all credit to the team at the Forum and Rebecca's guys that this alternate date, was rapidly re-arranged; the 11 month wait showing Rebecca's high work schedule, made for an assured sell-out gig, by heightening the antici.....pation.

As ever with a Gasto/Tate promotion, the proceedings got off to a fine start with a couple of local leg ends, Alex Fawcett and Ronnie Semple with a tasty semi-acoustic session, as well as a few songs interspersing the banter; getting the room into a fine buzz.

That "buzz" became a roar once Ms Downes and Co took the stage and owned the room with the opening burst, Take Me Higher. From then on, it was a mix of the mast recent album and a few crowd favourites as well as a romp through Rock 'n' Roll. As a good twist, Rebecca invited Ronnie Semple back up on stage, to add some harmonica magic to 1st set closer, the Doors-y sounding Night Train.

After a brief break, the band took the stage again, this time to recent single and Free cover, Little Bit of Love; Rebecca singing out of her boots, the power and length of the notes she was pulling out, and as ever, partner in crime Steve Birkett was keeping pace, pulling off some great solos as well as some vocal jousting, especially on the re-introduced Ike & Tina cover Baby Get It On true, we did all, except Rebecca, take a breather for Sailing On A Pool of Tears. but things ramped up again when Steve's "Scottish twin" was called back up to again add some hot harp to Long Long Time before the charge to the end of the set, the epic Believe. And it wouldn't be a Rebecca show without signing off with an anthemic Little Help From My Friends.

Best ever show? Well I'll leave that to individual opinion. All I can say is that of the many, many time times I've now seen Rebecca, Steve and co, while the band line up has been tweaked now and then, I've always been pleased by the sheer consistency of the high standard of their shows, and they don't come much higher.

Set list - Take Me Higher; Wave Them Goodbye; Space between Us; This Is How It Feels; Lights Go Out; Rock n Roll;
Breathe Out; Hurts; Night Train.
Little Bit of Love; Terrorise; Hold On; Baby get It On; Sailing In A Pool of Teras; Long Long Time; Rattle My Cage; Believe.
Little Help From My Friends.