Topic: Rebecca Downes

here's another new name for you, Rebecca Downes, as spotted by a good friend and "brother from another forum".

Absolutely blown away on Friday night by Rebecca and her sideman, Steve Birkett at The Cluny. The power, the control and the range of Rebecca’s voice was just awesome, whether she was rocking out some alt. country or some jazz tinged torch, you know you’re listening to something special.

This was an acoustic set, Rebecca’s co-writer Steve, filing round on acoustic and some tasty slide but we got a style range from a Southern rock tinged When I’m Bad, a slow jazz Fever In The Night, or a rock shuffle like Basement of my Heart and a superb Got Away and Back To The Start

Got Away http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6b8Yv8r3o
Back To the Start - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLjBBEg4WLk

That was enough to set Rebecca’s credentials and the best Newcastle debut I’ve seen by a singer since Dana Fuchs came round a couple of years ago, but you got the feeling that things were being held back a little.

However, what was not only the icing on the cake, but the glace cherries and silver ball-bearings was when Trever Sewell invited Rebecca back on stage for a tribute to Joe Cocker - Little Help From My Friends and the full voice was unleashed; 5ft2 of pure dynamite. I haven’t heard the like since Stevie Lange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3S_1N7zAc

Rebecca really deserves to come back round soon, and with a full band; that would really shake The Cluny.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

2 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-02-11 06:28:54)

Re: Rebecca Downes

Expecting a new album from Rebecca in May - Look out at Robin2 for the launch..... (May 7th)

Rebecca's Headline gig at Sedgefield Rock an' Blues Club on Nov 27th has now Sold Out (returns may be available before the night).

However, other dates are still available,

Nov 04 Wed
King King, Rebecca Downes
Hull    Fruit (HU1 1TU)

Nov 06 Fri
Frome    Cheese And Grain (BA11 1BE)

Nov 07 Sat SOLD OUT
Shoreham-By-Sea    Ropetackle Arts Centre (BN43 5EG)

Nov 15 Sun
Ilfracombe Blues, Rhythm And Rock Festival
Ilfracombe    John Fowler Holiday Park (EX34 8PF)

Dec 02 Wed Vonnies Blues Night:
Rebecca Downes, Matt Woosey
Charlton Kings    Vonnies Blues Club (GL53 8AP)

Dec 21 Mon Dual Header Christmas Show:
Rebecca Downes, Chris Bevington
Wolverhampton    Robin 2 (WV14 7LJ)

Feb 23 2016 Tuesday Blues: *ALBUM LAUNCH*
Rebecca Downes, Little Devils, Greg Coulson
London    100 Club (W1D 1LL)

Feb 25 2016
The Blues Band, Rebecca Downes
Wolverhampton    Robin 2 (WV14 7LJ)

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-11-30 06:43:22)

Nov 27th;

Wow Rebecca really sang her heart out on Friday night, headlining at Sedgefield. After a great warm up by Middlesbrough's Andy Power Band - not unlike Andy Fairweather-Lowe and a great Steely Dan cover in the set, Rebecca's band came on and ramped up the antici.....pation with the intro to opener Never Gonna Learn, and from there, Rebecca came on, greeted the crowd and let loose that awesome voice that's somehow hidden in her 5ft2 frame, and then launched straight into Fever In The Night, before the 1st cover, Ike & Tina Turner's Crazy 'Bout You Baby. Oh yes, this wasn't just a Blues night, this was Rhythm & Blues.

A couple more of Rebecca's own songs and into another cover, this with a little funk and soul, The Temptation's Shaky Ground. Then it was getting ready to slow things down a little; the band went off-stage, except sideman, guitarist & co-writer Steve Birkett, and with Rebecca picking up a guitar herself, a couple of acoustic numbers, Breaking Your Heart and Could Not Say No, before Chris (bass), Rick (keys) and Lloyd(drums) came back on and they really cooked through new number Night Train and closed the 1st half with Back To The Start.

The 2nd half got off to a really bouncing start, When I'm Bad, followed by a cover of Rather Go Blind, as Rebecca said, "you may have heard this a million times", but rarely as good as this, and with beautiful guitar from Steve Birkett taking equal stage. That was the signal that the gloves were off, Basement of My Heart and Messed Up lead into another classic Etta James cover, Another Piece of My Heart before a slower, bluesier moment, Walking With Shadows just held the full house in their seats. This built up to another Ike & Tina cover, a rip-roaring duet with Steve for Baby Get It On, before closing with 1000 Years.

Well, you had to follow that lot with an encore, and they just blew out the walls with Little Help From My Friends. In all, an absolute powerhouse R'n'B performance. A good percentage of Sedgefield shows have been guitarist based, but this was proof that given a solid backing band, a top singer can carry a show. She has sass, she has fun and she has a voice that can coax your ears, blow them out and even blow your head clean off; great range of styles too, Blues, R'n'B, Torch, Jazz and even a little Country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0BtvOMiejM

Night Train - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKfiuJswIPw

Encore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmjDjGO3m0

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/l … sic_venue/

Nice piece in our regional newspaper on Rebecca's gig at Sedgefield.

6 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-02-23 04:25:15)

Just a shameless plug/reminder for Rebecca's Believe album launch gig tonight @ 100 Club. Support from Little Devils and Greg Coulson, so promises to be a hot night.

Title track & lead off single - Believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rxr7ADwAs
                          Flip side - 1000 Years - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wXSHl9oM4

BansheeUK wrote:

Just a shameless plug/reminder for Rebecca's Believe album launch party; Friday 29th April @ Cluny2, Newcastle. Promises to be a hot night, expected are appearances by Trevor Sewell & George Shovlin.

Title track & lead off single - Believe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rxr7ADwAs
                          Flip side - 1000 Years - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wXSHl9oM4

Saw Rebecca at Coolham Blues club a few weeks ago and she was amazing. A voice that can go from almost silent to supersonic with no loss of control. Powerful without being overbearing. She gave it everything and sang in small venue like she was at the O2 ( just without the echo!) Heads up to the Coolham Blues Club too...

9 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-05-04 07:47:45)

Cluny 2 - 29th April 2016         The Leopard ROARRRED…..

Well, Geordie tried to be clever on Friday night, holding Rebecca Downes & her band’s gig in the nearest he could find to a nuclear bunker, i.e. Cluny2 but with the band firing on all cylinders and that awesome voice of Rebecca’s, I bet they called in a structural engineer the next day after such a powerful performance. It may only have been Cluny2 but she’s got voice would fill the Metro Arena. Rebecca is certainly doing her groundwork round the N.East; just over a year ago debuting the region with a semi-acoustic support set with partner-in-crime Steve Birkett, then over-the-water with the full band supporting Ryan McGarvey and holding a Sage audience before a couple of headline shows at local Blues Clubs and gaining plenty of notice; Friday’s set was another reputation setting show; and the folk who were there would be tweeting friends, “where were you?”

The band came on and quickly built up the opening double salvo Never Gonna Learn & Fever in the Night and is was apparent even then that they were “road-tight” and out for a great night.  In there also were a couple of personal favourites, Walking with Shadows & Basement of My Heart as well as projected single Night Train from the new Believe album

Good to see Sweetness making the set-list in the 2nd half of the set, on the album it’s a funky, fun piece but live, it’s tight and has an “acid drop” sharpness to it. I was really bowled over also that Sailing on a Pool of Tears made the set too, it really carried over well in the band’s arrangement though I’d still love to hear a full Bond-theme orchestration. In fact, the 2nd half of the set was mostly given over to the new album with the title track, BelieveMomma’s Got A Gun & Long, Long Time being the filing between Etta James’ Rather Go Blind and Ike & Tina’s Baby Get It On the latter being a steamin’ duet with Steve Birkett. Finally; the encore, With A Little Help From My Friends where Rebecca really digs deep and goes for it, hitting the sort of power that launches jet fighters heavenwards, like homesick angels.

Rebecca is full of surprises and for a good part of the set, played some filling rhythm on a telecaster: Rebecca may not be the guitarist that Joanne or Chantel are, but she’s more than a match with her 2 vocal chords for their 6 strings. This extra rhythm not only beefed up the backing of the songs, but allowed Steve and Rick to enjoy some stunning call & response between slide guitar and keys. And you can’t forget the backline, Dan & Lloyd; Dan has the sort of bass style that you don’t readily hear but you know everything would fall apart if it wasn’t there weaving through everyone else; Lloyd has a crisp, sharp style, not unlike Wayne Proctor but this guy is hard to miss, smiling through the set like he has a £100K lottery ticket in his pocket…. Together, these guys have fused into a tight, fluid R’n’B unit, second to none. Getting away from the guitar-shreaders, this is a band you must check-out, soon; the range, power and control of Rebecca’s voice is staggering and with Steve Birkett, they’re building a catalogue of numbers that really showcase these qualities and have fun doing it. This leopard knocks the spots off any others…..

1. NEVER GONNA LEARN
2. FEVER IN THE NIGHT
3. ANOTHER PIECE OF MY HEART
4. ITS THAT EASY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhocQEXZM4
5. WALKING WITH SHADOWS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcyHhbHX8Z0
6. BASEMENT
8. NIGHT TRAIN
9. BACK TO THE START https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udue1OdEQxY

1. MOMMAS GOT A GUN
2. RATHER GO BLIND
3. SWEETNESS
4. LONG LONG TIME
5. SAILING ON A POOL OF TEARS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmiStCyNMOE
6. BABY GET IT ON https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4JevTGQxQo
7. BELIEVE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BlF2aeyfos
8. 1000 YEARS

Encore
9. LITTLE HELP

Rebecca & the boys on the road, through to October:-

05/05/16 The Stables with King King The Stables Theatre Ltd; Stockwell Lane Milton Keynes
07/05/16 The Engine Shed The Engine Shed; University of Lincoln; Lincoln, LN6 7TS
14/05/16 Dorchester Arts Centre Dorchester Arts, Corn Exchange, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 1HF.
26/05/16 The Iron Road 140 High St, Evesham WR11 4EJ
27/05/16 Blue Touch Live Club V Fareham Fc. Palmerston drive, Fareham, PO141RH
2/06/16 The Robin 2 Bilston;  WV14 7LJ
11/06/16 WolvesFest Castlecroft Road, Castlecroft; Wolverhampton WV3 8NA
25/06/16 Lichfield Blues Festival Lichfield Guildhall, Bore St, Lichfield, Staffordshire WS13 6LU
01/07/16 Keighley Blues Club Keighley Blues Club, Keighley Cougars Hall of Fame Bar, BD 21 3RF
2/07/16 Ripley Blues Club Ripley Town Hall
Ripley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire HG3 3AX
07/07/16 Dereham Blues Festival (with Dr Feelgood) Dereham Memorial Hall, Norfolk
9/07/16 Sisters of Soul & Blues Festival Todmorden, Lancashire
17/07/16 Chiddingly Festival East Sussex
23/07/16 Hereford Blues Club Booth Hall, East St, Hereford HR1 2LW
05/08/16 Cambridge Rock Festival Cambridge Rock Festival, Haggis Farm Polo Club, Barton, CB23 7PZ
06/08/16 Mold Blues & Soul Festival Kendricks Field, Ruthin Road
19/08/16 Weyfest Reeds Road, Tilford, Farnham, Surrey, GU10 2DL
22/09/16 229 Club (with Zoe Schwarz) 229 THE VENUE. 229 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 5PN
24/09/16 Mickleton Blues Club Mickleton Village Hall; Nr Barnard Castle DL12 0JY
29/09/16 The Beaverwood Club (with Zoe Swartz) The Beaverwood Club; Chislehurst, London,
15/10/16 Redcar Blues Club Redcar The Citz Club, 104 Lord Street, Redcar, Cleveland. TS10 3BP

10 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-05-05 04:01:33)

Hot news - tickets for tonight's gig at Stockton ARC have been slashed -  tickets are £6 with the discount code redcar£6

So now you can afford a cheap but quality night to warm up for Paul Rodgers at Newcastle later in the week-end.

Night Train - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZM575oy7fQ

24th Nov - Sedgefield R'n'B Club

Well, I can confirm that lightning does strike the same place twice, although in this case it took [exactly] 2 years between strikes.
Rebecca Downes and her guys returned to Sedgefield and once again seared the walls with a blistering set. Last time they were putting the finishing touches to what became the mighty Believe album, and this time we got treated to 2 new numbers from the next album, still in progress, a very ‘Stonesy Take Me Higher and a change in style, heavy, almost ‘Sabbath sounding If I Go To Sleep; proving that Rebecca and Steve are still looking for those creative boundaries.

Only a couple of shows left for 2017; Southport & Lincoln.

Starting 2018 with an appearance at Skegness Rock & Blues in January, then 15 dates supporting Magnum in Feb & March.

12 (edited by Curby 2017-11-29 18:40:28)

Great find Mike.  Really like her Back To the Start album.  Great voice and a solid band behind her.  Look forward to a new release.

13 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-12-01 05:04:04)

I first met Rebecca & Steve (Birkett) a couple of years ago, doing an acoustic gig shortly after Back To The Start was released, and knew then there was something "a bit special". They were recommended to me by my good friend from Sedgefield Blues, John Tate, so all credit to him for talent spotting. Obviously I've met up with them several time now and have even supplied them with some copy, so slightly biased......

I'd highly recommend the follow-up album, Believe or take a listen to it's "live" format, BeLive, and check YouTuber Plunkett777 for ful show video from Sedgefield 2015 & Newcastle Cluny.

I got a few songs off Believe and there's something special about Rebecca.  Listening to the title song as I type, but like Night Train the best on the album.  Reminds be of a Doors groove.

Hmm; we've always said that Sailing On A Pool of Tears has been the best Bond song they've never used since GoldenEye.... Impressed Chris Kimsey enough to do a single re-master.
Speaking of a Rolling Stones connection, of the new songs aired last Friday, Take Me Higher has a Stones' vibe to it, not dissimilar to Gimme Shelter: the other new song, If I Go To Sleep is anything but a lullaby, very heavy opening de-tuned SG riff, almost Sabbath-like. Couple to look out for on YouTube.

Last call for tonight's show at Darlington Forum - multi award winning Blues chanteuse Rebecca Downes playing her 1st Darlington gig, ably supported by rising French singer/guitar-slinger Felix Rabin.

Doors at 8pm; tickets at £12....

Come on, you can watch Serbia v Switzerland on catch-up............

Darlington Forum 22nd June

Well, we’ve waited and we’ve waited and waited a little more, but after almost 4 years, it finally happened. No; not England winning a World Cup match, better than that, we finally got Rebecca Downes and her band to play Darlington Forum, one of the few venues with probably just enough asbestos to withstand the heat of her searing Blues and R’n'B.

The audience were nicely warmed through by Felix Rabin and the band, but when Rebecca came hit the stage thermostats just exploded with the strain. It was hot enough outside on Friday evening but that was a refreshing breeze compared to inside once Rebecca got started with the appropriately titled double-whammy of new song Take Me Higher and old favourite Fever In The Night. Then the showcase cover of Piece of My Heart before things comparatively settled down through Its That Easy, Basement and Come With Me to the powerhouse Rather Go Blind where Steve Birkett flexes his guitar before winding up, or down, depending on points of view the first set with the driving Night Train.

After a short break to cool off, the band were back with their usual main opener Never Gonna Learn and soon hit their stride with another new track If I Go To Sleep. Some chance of that with these guys. Rebecca took the opportunity here to tease up about the new, upcoming album; seems quite a coup in the production chair as well as a “name” guest contributing some solos - and before you ask, it’s as much a mystery to me at the moment. Anyway, promotion time over and back down to business with the bouncing 1000 Years, the funky Sweetness and the driving Long, Long Time

And then, the gloves were off; Rebecca & Steve delivered their mighty Ike & Tina duet on Baby Get It On, That led into the showboating vocal of Sailing On A Pool of Tears and then, still with power to spare, the epic Believe.

With more awards and accolades these days than you can shake a [drum]stick at, Rebecca is still grounded enough to acknowledge that its friends and fans that put her in the spotlight, so no show would be complete without Little Help From My Friends. And the roar at the end of that was comparable to the one I heard yesterday afternoon at the end of some football match which I think England won….. Yeah, and so did our ‘Beccs…....

Video to follow…...

Took nearly 4 years to get Rebecca to Darlington, and almost as long to get my video ready; but finally, here's some of the promised Darlington Forum show (22-6-18)

Piece of My Heart - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4OzUyxdH6A

Mama's Got A Gun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-0-Rpbq3xk

Rather Go Blind - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQKIyGtOJsE

Night Train - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLW8SyEnaQ

Never Gonna Learn - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_nMTnkxRI0

1000 Years - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCZxef_IEA

Sweetness - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTmlK6KcSM0

Long Long Time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TR6vci_qFQ

Baby Get It On - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJu-3WQZeok

With A Little Help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMJVwBI5K0