Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

Post inspired by today's Monday night blues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont … Ci8x142Uy0

I saw Derek Trucks lust summer at the music festival. Never seen him before or listened to more than  few songs of his on youtube. It was a big crowd of his fans there. I always talk to strangers when I am exited, so I talked to many of his fans.  Told them it was my first time seeing him live. They told me : just wait and be prepared to be blown away. I made sure to make it right next to the stage, by the rails.
Thoughts: he had a big band with him. They all were an excellent musicians. First time for me hearing them also and it was a top professional performance. Very, very good. But. It is always a BUT... haha. It was a great concert. They played for almost 2 hours. Susan was very good and heart warming. But... it was this 5 minutes of Derek playing just by himself, solo, that made me understand what his fans were talking about. It was great and so above the ordinary life and wonderful. One can't do it every time for every concert for more then five minutes and stay alive and healthy. Thus the band and the Susan.

PS. will I go see him again? Yes. But only if he is playing in my city (he will most likely have his band with him). But... it is always a but. .. if i will ever hear that he is going to play by himself or have just 2 musicians with him - oh, I will drive hours for that. So. Not a fan but a big fan of Derek Trucks.
I rest my case.

So reo It sounds like that’s a vote for  ditch the horns?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:

So reo It sounds like that’s a vote for  ditch the horns?

Yes. For Derek smile

I saw Buddy Guy in April,
82 yrs old, still touring hard (Joe says hes retiring at age 60 or 62).
Doesnt have horns or backup singers.

Stands and chats a lot, (he is 82 with lots of stories)
but still slings his guitar most of the night.

He even comes off the stage playing   , up the isle, into the lobby, down the other isle and back on stage.
Even has people in the audience strum the guitar while he plays...

Did I say he was 82?

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Just watched the Stones last Saturday and the energy for their ages was incredible especially that displayed by Mick Jagger who danced for two hours. I retired about 11 yrs ago. I lasted 6 weeks before finding a job. Have no intent on retiring any time soon. It keeps you young. Only make the decision when you are sure. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

PSmith1946 wrote:

Just watched the Stones last Saturday and the energy for their ages was incredible especially that displayed by Mick Jagger who danced for two hours. I retired about 11 yrs ago. I lasted 6 weeks before finding a job. Have no intent on retiring any time soon. It keeps you young. Only make the decision when you are sure. big_smile

Well like the song says you got to move like Jagger!

Your rock candy baby

61 (edited by telesquire 2018-06-13 08:24:41)

It's the same for any artist, there seems to be a group of 'fans' who expect them to keep everything the same. You're living in the past guys, move on and grow with the artist. You've got the old cd's and dvd's so you want to hear the trio then listen to those. Sure I loved the early years, small venues and old songs but you can't stay the same especially if you are the guy up there on stage playing it for 250 nights of the year.....it would drive you insane.
Personally I enjoy following an artist from the start and enjoying the ride. I'm happy for Joe that he has managed to move on from being expected to play Mountain Time every gig. The chance to play with such great musicians is what helps an artist grow, and that is what Joe has done. You need to enjoy it up there for two hours every night or it will show and sound jaded. That is why there is so much energy in Joe's gigs, he's feeding off those guys and really FEELING it!
Buddy guy god bless him has being doing the same show for the last three decades, it works for him but he's not Joe. KWS seems to have had the same setlist for the last 20 plus years too, I've seen it...boring...pass. I stopped seeing the Stones about 20 years ago, same show different stage set. Pass.....move on, nothing new to see.
Would love to see the 'country' gigs, what a hoot. I'd like an all guitar no vocals record/tour too. Variety is the spice of life after all. Thanks.

I know I'm in the minority but when an artist I like releases a new record and I go see them live, I am always wishing that they would play all the new tracks. In fact I'd be more than happy if they played the new record in its entirety. Mainly because that's how I listen to music, I don't just play a fave track but instead listen to an album all the way through. I never use the random or shuffle facility.

telesquire wrote:

It's the same for any artist, there seems to be a group of 'fans' who expect them to keep everything the same. You're living in the past guys, move on and grow with the artist. You've got the old cd's and dvd's so you want to hear the trio then listen to those. Sure I loved the early years, small venues and old songs but you can't stay the same especially if you are the guy up there on stage playing it for 250 nights of the year.....it would drive you insane.
Personally I enjoy following an artist from the start and enjoying the ride. I'm happy for Joe that he has managed to move on from being expected to play Mountain Time every gig. The chance to play with such great musicians is what helps an artist grow, and that is what Joe has done. You need to enjoy it up there for two hours every night or it will show and sound jaded. That is why there is so much energy in Joe's gigs, he's feeding off those guys and really FEELING it!
Buddy guy god bless him has being doing the same show for the last three decades, it works for him but he's not Joe. KWS seems to have had the same setlist for the last 20 plus years too, I've seen it...boring...pass. I stopped seeing the Stones about 20 years ago, same show different stage set. Pass.....move on, nothing new to see.
Would love to see the 'country' gigs, what a hoot. I'd like an all guitar no vocals record/tour too. Variety is the spice of life after all. Thanks.

Personally I just wish Clapton would ditch the whole bang idea and go back to the power trio that served him so well in his Cream days.... [/joking]

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

Jane H. wrote:

of course i would love to hear SILT or Blues of Desperation in entirety...would pay double! big_smile

-Sista Jane

Totally!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

65 (edited by Coach305 2018-06-14 23:38:18)

Jane H. wrote:

just because Mountain Time is that song for me...and a lot of artists keep one even if they switch everything else up

I am solidly in the "always enjoy what Joe is doing at the moment and can't wait to see what's next" camp, but it's funny about specific songs...for many years I would have said "Mountain Time" should always be the set closer (or the encore), because it was That Song for me, too...but then I heard "Hummingbird" live in Omaha (only Joe show I ever got front row center seats), and was blown away...have now heard it live three times, and while "Mountain Time" will always hold a special place in my heart (especially the 2009 RAH performance), "Hummingbird" is now That Song...I honestly don't understand how anyone could watch the LATG performance and deny that performance's power and beauty...simply incredible...

Ditch the horns and the backup singers? He will eventually, I suppose, but I'm sure in no hurry to see it happen...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

66 (edited by jhughes 2018-06-15 23:26:13)

We just finished watching Beacon Theater 2011 for Nth time. What an amzing voice Joe has. First time we saw Joe on PBS was in November 2014, first hook was his voice, second hook was his guitar playing. Twenty live shows in as of 2018, still think Joe's voice is amazing. Does he need backup, no in my opion, but in Hummingbird you bet and maybe some other songs. Why not bring them out when needed?

Jim & Cath - Montreal

No horns on the Country tour.
tongue
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

The best thing joes done is bring in the 3 girls.They are great and add depth.Horns sound good as well.Redemption album, out in sept sounds like his best studio album ever IMO.The stripped down basics is all great stuff,and as a live artist nobody to touch him in the blues genre from what i see.I like the way he takes his music to another level,which i didn't think was possible,as he's superb at every show.

I think the horns and back up singers will always be a debate.
  There will always be a faction not into it .
To me it’s like kinda having 2 different joe Bands. But the other band without them  is in retirement for now !!

Your rock candy baby

Joe is just not as good right now.  He doesn’t have the same passion.  My goodness his concerts ruled not that long ago. I listened today to his Tour de Force album in Royal Albert Hall, and it just killed. I attended several of those concerts, and they were mesmerizing.  I’ve attended three of the change in direction concerts, and they just don’t do it for me.  His previous band was way better.  Coach, please don’t attack me.

dsproule wrote:

Joe is just not as good right now.  He doesn’t have the same passion.  My goodness his concerts ruled not that long ago. I listened today to his Tour de Force album in Royal Albert Hall, and it just killed. I attended several of those concerts, and they were mesmerizing.  I’ve attended three of the change in direction concerts, and they just don’t do it for me.  His previous band was way better.  Coach, please don’t attack me.

It happens to artists.  They start out all piss and vinegar, but eventually run out of creative juices.  That’s where Joe is right now, to me.  His new set list doesn’t alter that opinion.

dsproule wrote:
dsproule wrote:

It happens to artists.  They start out all piss and vinegar, but eventually run out of creative juices.  That’s where Joe is right now, to me.  His new set list doesn’t alter that opinion.

I do not completely disagree with some of your points. I am not overly excited about this set list (or that the singers are still around). Seems like same sh*t, different day, again. I'm just trying to keep in mind that I wound up loving the Indy show last fall and, believe me, nobody was more surprised by that than me! Joe can still tear it up and he did so that night. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised again in Chicago next month. Attending both shows.

And what about those Facebook surveys? I recall taking two surveys a couple or so months apart about 3 piece band vs full band and 3 piece won both times (or was it the same survey and I took it twice?). I was so hoping for a major change this spring but it was not to be. That said, I would miss the horns. It's just too much with them and the singers.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST