Topic: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

His addition of horns and backup singers the last several times I’ve seen him has led to a decrease in my enjoyment of his shows.  Enough so that I’m hesitant to buy tickets for his upcoming tour.  I go to see Joe wail, on guitar and vocally.  The singers and horns detract from that, at least to me.  I love Joe, but would prefer him to go back to the basics.

Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

That’s a comment I an  surprised hasn’t come up till now here. I’m on the fence on this one.I enjoy the horns and back up singers, but sometimes I just want a more basic Joe set up with keyboards. I think in a perfect world I would  have both.With a  little less horns.
  However,I am not in favor of them being ditched all together because there are songs where they are a big part of why I like  the song.
  I can see how if you are more in tune with Joes earlier works you don’t need all the extras.But Joe  is an evolving artist and will incorporate different sounds in his music.In my opinion I still get enough guitar for my money’s worth along with the fact I enjoy the rest including the horns and back up singers where it doesn’t detract from my overall enjoyment.In fact with out really knowing it consiously,it makes for a different experience that might keep me from being bored seeing the same ol same ol.
Also I think the amount of shows he plays per year has accumated affects where he may need to scale back a bit on the sheer amount of guitar solos.Perhaps a bit of self preservation having others fill in some gaps.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I would assume that horns and backing vocals feature on the new album and probably on the "country tribute" so they will be around for a while.
I should think they will also appear at the RAH tenth anniversary concerts in May 2019(tbc).
Joe does change his line up now and again so I wouldn't rule out a return to a three or four piece at some stage but not just yet.
An interesting discussion to have.

Lester..

dsproule wrote:

His addition of horns and backup singers the last several times I’ve seen him has led to a decrease in my enjoyment of his shows.  Enough so that I’m hesitant to buy tickets for his upcoming tour.  I go to see Joe wail, on guitar and vocally.  The singers and horns detract from that, at least to me.  I love Joe, but would prefer him to go back to the basics.

+ 1 I agree with you all day long.

I still remember watching Joe at the Cheese and Grain in Frome for the first time. He ripped the place apart playing raw blues rock all night.

Over time I’ve probably seen him live Ten times, but not at all during the past Five years. This is mostly due to the ridiculous ticket prices, but also the change of direction.

No matter how far you try to push the envelope, it remains stationery

dsproule wrote:

I think there are a lot of people who may share that view but after all this is a 'fan' sight so we watch Joe where he goes as he goes. I have found every lead break he plays seems to have a love affair with the seventeenth fret... but that's Joe. Throughout my life many artists go off down a road (in Joe's case I think it was the 'thematic show' road) but they will eventually circle back to where they came from. Maybe he'll even call Eric Czar one day... tongue

6 (edited by Rocket 2018-03-19 20:32:25)

I’ve predicted some changes, not necessarily based in my preferences in the faaaaaarrrrr past.  I’ve hoped for quite a few things publicly, a very few privately.  Many of those hopes have come to fruition concerning Joe and various aspects of Joe’s professional and personal life.  Hoping for horns and (I believe backing vocalists) one day way back when was indeed one of them.  Thoroughly enjoying the ride so far with them as well as the occasion without them (ex: Tour de Force Borderline, and up to current songs which the section members are not part of).  Incidentally, back in the second trio days,  I had hoped for not ever having a permanent keyboard player! yikes ...Then Rick Melick came onboard......
WOW, was I glad ever I could accept change that I had never even considered. 

So, yeah, I DIG THE HORNS cool AND THE SWEET SINGERS cool  Oh yeah, I’m looking forward to the country music tribute, sure as hell not remotely close to the worst thing ever!!!  But then again, I have always had diverse musical tastes-everything, more or less.  And again, I have always had an openness to revisit my feelings, actions, and opinions...perhaps much less than more roll tongue

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

7 (edited by RickB 2018-03-19 22:22:02)

I’ve enjoyed the evolution to what I think is the dream Joe’s followed. He got his start with BB King and that big band. Now he has one of his own full of all stars and I love it. Sure it costs more, talent like he’s assembled doesn’t come cheap. Brass and horns add texture which fills the spaces, and the singers are terrific. I’ve had my ears opened by his junkets into other forms and now here comes country with a 4 piece and 3 great singers. As PLJ says, country’s come a long way if you skip the corporate stuff. I’ve been sniffing around. Some of Sturgil Simpson’s work is very good. My ears are open again. Maybe this old dog has more to learn. I’m in for the long haul.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

8 (edited by Rocket 2018-03-19 23:58:03)

RickB wrote:

I’ve enjoyed the evolution to what I think is the dream Joe’s followed. He got his start with BB King and that big band. Now he has one of his own full of all stars and I love it. Sure it costs more, talent like he’s assembled doesn’t come cheap. Brass and horns add texture which fills the spaces, and the singers are terrific. I’ve had my ears opened by his junkets into other forms and now here comes country with a 4 piece and 3 great singers. As PLJ says, country’s come a long way if you skip the corporate stuff. I’ve been sniffing around. Some of Sturgil Simpson’s work is very good. My ears are open again. Maybe this old dog has more to learn. I’m in for the long haul.
Rick

Attaboy, Rick!  Old school country sits fine with me.  And new?!  Well, they decided the rock people had somethin’ all along...and the rock people whom had decided the blues people had somethin’ all along...and bluegrass tain’t too far separated neithermore no how... big_smile. ...an the folkies war’int far off until some stiffs didn’t like anything electedriffied. 

An ya cain’t play “Ring Of Fire” without horns... wink

Rock ON & Keep The Good Ol’ Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I would have agreed with this until live at the Greek which totally changed my opinion. We all have different tastes, I personally prefer the Marshalls to the tweeds, I also quite liked the different pedals over the stripped down style and the Rockpalast sound was the bees knees. Does it stop me liking Joes music, not in the least. The music has changed considerably over the years but the quality is the same high standard. Not a big country fan but some of the country rock is great so I will wait and see. I would think the biggest problem to the big band modern era is the cost of touring and the rise of ticket prices. This will put people off especially in the UK at the moment. Will I still be there.. Hell Yeah... big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

I personally love the change in direction Joe takes on different projects. Looking forward to the country tribute to see where he takes us. I am a rock/Blues guy but today’s country is more rock then country to me. Well some of it. Joe is in my mind a artist artist, willing to push himself down different paths to shape his craft. Awesome to me cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

I like the horns and backing singers on some tracks, but not on every track.

I'd be more keen to see a return to the old Silver Jubilee and Dumble style rig - that tone did more for me than his current tweed tone (ironically is slightly more accessible due to the need to run a HPTT at full belt).

I'd also like to see some of his older numbers, such as Sloe Gin and Happier Times return to the set.

Guitars: Fender American Original 60s Strat, Fender American Vintage 52 Tele, Gibson Les Paul Traditional
FX: Various including - Ceriatone Centura, Fire Custom Shop Carpe Diem
Amp: Fender ML212 Deville + 212 extention cabinet

It's always amusing to see a new forum member introduce himself by bashing whatever Joe happens to be doing at the time... roll

I've seen Joe nine times since my Bona-baptism in 2011, and I've enjoyed every version of the band he's performed with over that span. Perhaps I'm odd, but it would never occur to me to want Joe to stick to any particular style or band configuration. I think Joe's at his creative best when he's happy, and I think it is crystal clear that he doesn't want to settle into just one bag. Didn't the Tour de Force shows prove that once and for all?

There may come a time when whatever Joe decides to do doesn't please me musically, but he sure hasn't had that problem yet as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to the country tribute show in Omaha this August (the last gig before he plays the Ryman in Nashville)...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

No bashing to Joe meant.  He’s the greatest, I was just sharing my thoughts.  In the end I’ll probably end up and see him on this tour.  He comes here November 7th, I think.  The only reason I know that is that our local PBS affiliate was advertising a fundraiser featuring Joe.  He is very generous to the arts community.  Several years ago, I contributed $500 for tickets and a meet and greet.  Wife wasn’t pleased.  I was.

14 (edited by dknight16 2018-03-20 19:15:45)

Constant evolution and trying new things has broadened Joe’s appeal to a level that was hard to imagine a decade ago.  I admit I miss those days on some level, but generally have enjoyed the ride.  I have no doubt we’ll be getting back to basics at some point as Joe doesn’t know how to stay still.  We’ve seen Joe about a dozen times over that decade, and the last show in November was my wife’s favorite. A lot of song variety and a lot of things to focus on or roam as you wish.  So a bit less guitar theatrics to make room for other musicians and things (not to mention serving the song), but I’m accepting and anxiously awaiting what comes next.

P.S. I do miss the days I knew all of the songs!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Jane H. wrote:

It's always amusing to me when  a teacher fails to do their research before handing out their grade big_smile

I am well rebuked, but in fairness it was the post count (2 at the time of my comment) which led me to conclude dsproule was a newcomer. And of course there have been instances in the past where people signed up for the forum for the express purpose of posting negative comments about a concert, or an album release, etc. Easy mistake to make, but you're right...should have looked closer before jumping to a conclusion.

Jane H. wrote:

I do think the subject line could have been better worded but I didn't see the post itself, from a 4 year forum member, to be bashing. big_smile

Here we'll have to agree to disagree. The poster indicated that he didn't enjoy the recent band configuration, to the point where he's thinking about not buying tickets for the upcoming tour. That's not a mild criticism, to me.

I will take dsproule at his word that he meant no offense, and I ain't mad at nobody... big_smile

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

I, for one, am looking forward to Joe “evolving” away from the backup “singers.” When I saw the BBE on PBS last week, I loved Russ Irwin. I thought his singing was much more complimentary paired with Joe’s voice. Most important, it wasn’t overpowering. Three out of the four shows I saw last year were painful for me. The ladies are TOO LOUD. I can’t continue paying almost $200 a pop for a ticket, travel costs, etc. when all I want to do is crawl under the seat. Hummingbird, a song that was literally bringing me to tears in 2016, was ruined in 2017. Instead of Joe wailing on his guitar, I had to listen to the ladies doing the wailing. No thanks. And in what universe is it acceptable for them to be not only drowning out Joe’s voice but also his guitar? Keep the horns; Paulie can sing backup when he’s not blowing his sax.

I doubt I’ll be able to stay away for too long, but as long as they are in the fold I’ll be thinking very hard before buying any tix. Luckily there aren’t any shows in my area so far this year.

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

17 (edited by Rocket 2018-03-22 08:43:11)

Coach305 wrote:

I will take dsproule at his word that he meant no offense, and I ain't mad at nobody... big_smile

I ain’t mad at anybody, either...yet.  But while we’re all being frank, let’s consider:
Please=inferred polite request
Ditch (as in the wayside of a road)= pretty much a demand without tempering.

In my final analaysis, I thank you, username  dsproule, whomever and wherever you are, for instigating a plethora of potent commentary.  Ya woke some of us up. Thanks for sharing, please feel free to continue to comment exactly how you feel.  We love ya.  Rockin’ The Forum ‘burbs!!! cool

Rock ON & Keep The Faith, horny or not,
Rocket

Yes Rocket good point ! This post is our forums version of the movie Cocoon.All is old timers woke up and came alive again for awhile!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky