Re: Ditch the horns and backup singers.

gary wrote:

Kind of tells you basically forget about the New Day Yesterday Era because it’s an old day now!

Yes, yes we saw what you did there... lol

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Coach305 wrote:
gary wrote:

Kind of tells you basically forget about the New Day Yesterday Era because it’s an old day now!

Yes, yes we saw what you did there... lol

☺️

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

39 (edited by TeleMan23 2018-04-07 22:46:31)

Okay, this is what needs to happen: Joe needs to ditch his whole band, reunite with Berry Oakley Jr and the rest of bloodline, throw his tweed amps out the fricken window and pull out the super lead, sell his all of his suits on craigslist and pull out the jeans and the newsboy hat, shed some old eric johnson licks, were gonna get lou segretti on keys and lenny milano on drums and its gonna be great.

No just kidding, Joe should do whatever he wants (although I do miss the old days)

I love, love, love the horns and back up singers. The Greek Theater show is one of my favorites of Joe's.
Not a criticism, just a matter of personal taste, but when I saw this live, the ladies' voices were a few octaves too high for me.
The DVD seemed to have toned this down a bit.

Like many, I've loved every iteration of Joe but like seeing him move forward rather than backward.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I’ve thought a lot about this.  I don’t think Joe has moved forward as much as he has become a different musical genre (within the blues) than he was.  I looked at his most recent setlist, and watched all the songs I didn’t know on video.  He solos much less, and spotlights the backup singers, the horns, and keyboards.   Then I watched  a few of the London dvds, where it’s basically Joe with a few keyboard solos.  I personally felt sad that Joe has diverged from what we grew up on.  I will always love Joe.   But I hope someday he gets back to why I became a fan in the first place.

Good point, well made.
I also prefer a lot of Joe's earlier material, probably because I first saw him on the Sloe Gin tour in quite a small venue.
Put simply IMO, the horns/singers sound great on a recording but I prefer the four piece line-up in a live setting.

Lester..

Here is Joe in the future.At least that may be a big fear here in these parts !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z0pP8FqYvk

Your rock candy baby

gary wrote:

Here is Joe in the future.At least that may be a big fear here in these parts !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z0pP8FqYvk

With some new moves by the gals! tongue

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

45 (edited by TeleMan23 2018-04-17 19:38:26)

dsproule wrote:

I’ve thought a lot about this.  I don’t think Joe has moved forward as much as he has become a different musical genre (within the blues) than he was.  I looked at his most recent setlist, and watched all the songs I didn’t know on video.  He solos much less, and spotlights the backup singers, the horns, and keyboards.   Then I watched  a few of the London dvds, where it’s basically Joe with a few keyboard solos.  I personally felt sad that Joe has diverged from what we grew up on.  I will always love Joe.   But I hope someday he gets back to why I became a fan in the first place.

I agree with this. I think Joe has been moving into a more traditional blues direction which is cool but I do miss the days of the really big, almost atmospheric-like Marshall sound when he soloed more and was in more of a blues rock vein than in a traditional blues vein.

dsproule wrote:

I personally felt sad that Joe has diverged from what we grew up on.  I will always love Joe.   But I hope someday he gets back to why I became a fan in the first place.

100% where I am on this.  I've been a big fan for 10+ years and I'll always be grateful for what Joe's music did for me through some tough times.  If he ever goes back to what made me a fan in the first place I'm in but for now... I'll spend my $$ of KWS, EJ, EG, etc.

47 (edited by gary 2018-04-18 20:17:20)

I think he did do a slight return on a few tracks from BOD which to me rocked it out pretty good.Im not enough of a gear head to know what all the tweed amps mean?
I am wondering what the new one will be like.
I could use some new Kick a** jams from Joe.
Actually put on  Pain and Sorrow the other day.Well that’s in another old thread...

Your rock candy baby

Rockfarmer wrote:
dsproule wrote:

I personally felt sad that Joe has diverged from what we grew up on.  I will always love Joe.   But I hope someday he gets back to why I became a fan in the first place.

100% where I am on this.  I've been a big fan for 10+ years and I'll always be grateful for what Joe's music did for me through some tough times.  If he ever goes back to what made me a fan in the first place I'm in but for now... I'll spend my $$ of KWS, EJ, EG, etc.

Gary Hoey!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

I just saw this RickB post on fb fun page - so on point. I am reposting it here - RickB hope you don't mind

"Rick Beck: Joe is spreading his wings while pacing himself is my feeling. I think the slow blues became boring to him. He quit power trio when it began to grind him down and he could take a breather mid song while keys piced it up. He said that then. I’ve seen him a lot more than most, including his side shots into Rock with BCC and retro Jazz Funk with RCFP. It was eye-opening to see him play for the sheer joy of letting it rip with equals in a funky dive bar with just a few watching, or kicking it as a sideman mostly instead of paying the bills to keep it going. If some dislike the new direction you should have seen the uproar when BCC came out as an encore for his show in Riverside and Glenn Hughes fronted! A lot of fans turned their backs and walked away then. Now he’s hanging with the Nashville cats so much he got a house there. Here comes a Country mini-tour that has a lot of fans passing, but the shows all are 95% sellouts well in advance. Try and get a ticket. If you can’t hang with his changes, others will be attracted. Keeping it a commercial success is job one and he’s got lots of competition, so hang on, it might get bumpy. I’m not ruling anything out, and I’ll be there."

Impressions from yesterday show: love, love, love horns and back up singers. Awesome solos from Paulie Cerra and Lee Thornburg, perfect singing from Jade Macrae and Juanita Tippins, I didn't feel they were overpowering Joe's voice at all, it was the opposite - they were complimenting it, giving a nice female flare to the songs.

reo l wrote:

I just saw this RickB post on fb fun page - so on point. I am reposting it here - RickB hope you don't mind

"Rick Beck: Joe is spreading his wings while pacing himself is my feeling. I think the slow blues became boring to him. He quit power trio when it began to grind him down and he could take a breather mid song while keys piced it up. He said that then. I’ve seen him a lot more than most, including his side shots into Rock with BCC and retro Jazz Funk with RCFP. It was eye-opening to see him play for the sheer joy of letting it rip with equals in a funky dive bar with just a few watching, or kicking it as a sideman mostly instead of paying the bills to keep it going. If some dislike the new direction you should have seen the uproar when BCC came out as an encore for his show in Riverside and Glenn Hughes fronted! A lot of fans turned their backs and walked away then. Now he’s hanging with the Nashville cats so much he got a house there. Here comes a Country mini-tour that has a lot of fans passing, but the shows all are 95% sellouts well in advance. Try and get a ticket. If you can’t hang with his changes, others will be attracted. Keeping it a commercial success is job one and he’s got lots of competition, so hang on, it might get bumpy. I’m not ruling anything out, and I’ll be there."

No problemo. My nsho. Longevity is the toughest thing to maintain in the entertainment world. He’s still hanging when many others are dim memories. Something’s working.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Just if we want guitar solos, the horns , keys backup singers fill where Joe could solo.

Yes they give him "breathing " time

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

DougH wrote:

Just if we want guitar solos, the horns , keys backup singers fill where Joe could solo.

Yes they give him "breathing " time

I would say he probably needs the break.
Given the “miles”

Your rock candy baby

54 (edited by daryljohnson60 2018-05-12 22:20:31)

Only my second post, but anyone performing at Joe's level has to have different feelings as the years go by. Anything that he feels adds to his enjoyment of his performances will only make him better, if that's even possible, at conveying what he's feeling at the time. Top performers do different things as time goes on. Maybe he's bored with just kicking it every night. They say that it can be lonely at the top, and Joe is certainly at the top of his profession. He always looks like he's having a great time on stage with other guitarists too. The show with Brian Setzer is a good example. Joe will add in a few fills while the other guy is wailing, but his smiles and stage etiquette show that he likes to have friends on the stage. It would be less fun for me without Reese nailing it on his piano. Time will tell.