Re: JB Fan Safari thread

Konk
I fully subscribe to the guitar chooses you.

How else can you go into the same store day after day and go Yawn.
Then one day,, bam.

They choose you for sure.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Love it Konk!

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

Konkman wrote:

I will participate and Share a couple gear safari stories.

I have been playing guitar since I was a kid.  I started taking lessons when I was 8 years old and have never stopped playing.  I am 42 years old now.  When I was 10 years old I had an uncle who would go to estate sales all the time and buy tons of stuff.  One weekend he invited me and my Dad to go along with him to a sale.  At this point I had been playing guitar for a couple years but was still very young and still very green.  While at this estate sale we came across an old beat-up black guitar.  It was priced at $100.  I didn’t recognize the brand ( my knowledge at that time basically consisted of fender and Gibson).  In any case, my uncle decided I needed to have this guitar.  He bought a ton of stuff and as a result was ultimately able to negotiate the price down to $50 on the guitar.  I took it home and tried to play it.  It wouldn’t stay in tune at all and I basically deemed it a piece of crap.  It mostly just sat tucked away in my closet for years.  It was many years later that I pulled it out, did some research, and realized it is a 1965 Gretsch Country Gentleman.  The guitar was in really bad shape.  The neck was ruined and some other issues.  I have since had the guitar restored and I still play it to this day.  It’s my only vintage guitar I own and holds a very special place for me because of the connection to my uncle.

My second story is around a Paul Reed Smith Artist package Singlecut guitar I own.  For many years I had lusted after a PRS singlecut and had not been able to afford one.  As many of you know Gibson ended up suing PRS regarding the singlecut model saying it too closely resembled the Les Paul.  I had spent many hours at my local guitar shop playing the singlecuts and the owner knew I wanted one badly.  When the lawsuit was announced PRS had to stop all production on these guitars.  The shop owner called to let me know what was going on and indicated if I really wanted one I needed to move quick as it didn’t look good for them to be able to keep producing them and what he had in stock was all he was going to be able to get.  So, I sold a bunch of gear scrounged up all the money I could, and the shop owner was gracious enough to work with me to give me a great deal because he knew how badly I wanted one.  The day came for me to go buy the guitar.  They had 5 Artist Package Singlecuts in stock.  All incredibly nice.  Same guitar obviously but slightly different weights and finishes.  I literally spent about 2 hours playing them all and trying to narrow it down to the one I wanted to buy.  I finally decided on the one I wanted to purchase.  The owner in jest asked me if I was sure.  I said…I think so but you better get these others out of here before I start playing them all again.  He took the other guitars away and indicated he was going to go get the paperwork started.  He told me to go through the case and make sure all the case candy was in there that the guitar is supposed to come with including the hang tag from PRS.  This is the tag they include with each guitar that has all the basic info about the guitar.  I pull out the tag and am reading through and stop completely stunned.  The Guitar had been completed on my birthday of that year.  I was literally floored.  The owner didn’t believe me.  I had to show him my driver’s license to prove it.  We both stood there in silence for a couple minutes and he finally said….”that guitar chose you…it is absolutely meant to be yours”.  Still gives me chills just thinking back to it.  It’s still my #1 guitar and there is just something incredibly special about the connection I have with that instrument.

Wow what a story. That guitar was destined to be yours. Thanks so much for sharing cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
Konkman wrote:

I will participate and Share a couple gear safari stories.

I have been playing guitar since I was a kid.  I started taking lessons when I was 8 years old and have never stopped playing.  I am 42 years old now.  When I was 10 years old I had an uncle who would go to estate sales all the time and buy tons of stuff.  One weekend he invited me and my Dad to go along with him to a sale.  At this point I had been playing guitar for a couple years but was still very young and still very green.  While at this estate sale we came across an old beat-up black guitar.  It was priced at $100.  I didn’t recognize the brand ( my knowledge at that time basically consisted of fender and Gibson).  In any case, my uncle decided I needed to have this guitar.  He bought a ton of stuff and as a result was ultimately able to negotiate the price down to $50 on the guitar.  I took it home and tried to play it.  It wouldn’t stay in tune at all and I basically deemed it a piece of crap.  It mostly just sat tucked away in my closet for years.  It was many years later that I pulled it out, did some research, and realized it is a 1965 Gretsch Country Gentleman.  The guitar was in really bad shape.  The neck was ruined and some other issues.  I have since had the guitar restored and I still play it to this day.  It’s my only vintage guitar I own and holds a very special place for me because of the connection to my uncle.

My second story is around a Paul Reed Smith Artist package Singlecut guitar I own.  For many years I had lusted after a PRS singlecut and had not been able to afford one.  As many of you know Gibson ended up suing PRS regarding the singlecut model saying it too closely resembled the Les Paul.  I had spent many hours at my local guitar shop playing the singlecuts and the owner knew I wanted one badly.  When the lawsuit was announced PRS had to stop all production on these guitars.  The shop owner called to let me know what was going on and indicated if I really wanted one I needed to move quick as it didn’t look good for them to be able to keep producing them and what he had in stock was all he was going to be able to get.  So, I sold a bunch of gear scrounged up all the money I could, and the shop owner was gracious enough to work with me to give me a great deal because he knew how badly I wanted one.  The day came for me to go buy the guitar.  They had 5 Artist Package Singlecuts in stock.  All incredibly nice.  Same guitar obviously but slightly different weights and finishes.  I literally spent about 2 hours playing them all and trying to narrow it down to the one I wanted to buy.  I finally decided on the one I wanted to purchase.  The owner in jest asked me if I was sure.  I said…I think so but you better get these others out of here before I start playing them all again.  He took the other guitars away and indicated he was going to go get the paperwork started.  He told me to go through the case and make sure all the case candy was in there that the guitar is supposed to come with including the hang tag from PRS.  This is the tag they include with each guitar that has all the basic info about the guitar.  I pull out the tag and am reading through and stop completely stunned.  The Guitar had been completed on my birthday of that year.  I was literally floored.  The owner didn’t believe me.  I had to show him my driver’s license to prove it.  We both stood there in silence for a couple minutes and he finally said….”that guitar chose you…it is absolutely meant to be yours”.  Still gives me chills just thinking back to it.  It’s still my #1 guitar and there is just something incredibly special about the connection I have with that instrument.

Wow what a story. That guitar was destined to be yours. Thanks so much for sharing cheers Ron

Goosebumps! Thanks for sharing that pair of great stories.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I'd like to share my one and only 'safari' story.  I live in nowhere Ohio and don't travel much so a couple years ago when I decided to try the guitar again after a couple decades I only had a few choices.  GC, Sam Ash and Music-go-round.  I had a standard Les Paul at one time and went looking in the major retailers for a replacement. I wasn't in the least impressed at what I could get for less than a gazillion dollars so I stopped in the Music-go-round to see what was what.   I didn't see anything in a Les Paul but there was this odd looking guitar from a company I wasn't familiar with.  It was an electric but with this huge pickguard made to look like it was a dobro or something.  I asked to try it out and was impressed with the myriad of tones you could get out of it.  While very interested I thought it was a little expensive for what to me was an unknown brand and I didn't really think it looked like a $650 dollar used guitar (it was in perfect condition except the volume knob was a little crackly).  The sales folks didn't know what model it was and it wasn't marked on the guitar.  I went home to do a little research.  I quickly found that $650 seemed to be underpriced based on what I saw on ebay etc. and there weren't many of them around.  I did go and buy it and haven't regretted it in the least.  But more important to me was something else I discovered while doing the research.  Another name I had been seeing repeatedly, but didn't know, showed up playing that same odd looking guitar.  I had seen the name in reference to guitar strings, Gibson and Epiphone guitars and some pedals but figured since I didn't know the name he must have been in band playing a genre I wasn't into and didn't think much about it.  Seeing it again I was like ok who the heck is this guy Joe Bonamassa.  I clicked the link to a You Tube video of him playing a Chandler Lectraslide, for those who havn't already guessed the guitar make and model, at the Rockpalast.  I was absolutely stunned.  I loved it and haven't stopped being amazed since.

Hogsniper wrote:

I'd like to share my one and only 'safari' story.  I live in nowhere Ohio and don't travel much so a couple years ago when I decided to try the guitar again after a couple decades I only had a few choices.  GC, Sam Ash and Music-go-round.  I had a standard Les Paul at one time and went looking in the major retailers for a replacement. I wasn't in the least impressed at what I could get for less than a gazillion dollars so I stopped in the Music-go-round to see what was what.   I didn't see anything in a Les Paul but there was this odd looking guitar from a company I wasn't familiar with.  It was an electric but with this huge pickguard made to look like it was a dobro or something.  I asked to try it out and was impressed with the myriad of tones you could get out of it.  While very interested I thought it was a little expensive for what to me was an unknown brand and I didn't really think it looked like a $650 dollar used guitar (it was in perfect condition except the volume knob was a little crackly).  The sales folks didn't know what model it was and it wasn't marked on the guitar.  I went home to do a little research.  I quickly found that $650 seemed to be underpriced based on what I saw on ebay etc. and there weren't many of them around.  I did go and buy it and haven't regretted it in the least.  But more important to me was something else I discovered while doing the research.  Another name I had been seeing repeatedly, but didn't know, showed up playing that same odd looking guitar.  I had seen the name in reference to guitar strings, Gibson and Epiphone guitars and some pedals but figured since I didn't know the name he must have been in band playing a genre I wasn't into and didn't think much about it.  Seeing it again I was like ok who the heck is this guy Joe Bonamassa.  I clicked the link to a You Tube video of him playing a Chandler Lectraslide, for those who havn't already guessed the guitar make and model, at the Rockpalast.  I was absolutely stunned.  I loved it and haven't stopped being amazed since.

Cool story great score cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Love the story Hogsniper!

Steve

Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

So, back at it again.  And again...thanks Joe!

I have added two new guitars since my original safari post.  First was a new Epiphone Thunderbird Bass, just had to have a bass.    There are times when playing a song or trying a new song that has a strong bass line, I found I just need that fix.  The Thunderbird is now looking after that need.

As far as the safari is concerned though, it was my next purchase that fits the bill.  It also strongly contributed to me deciding on the Thunderbird.  I have been looking for a Firebird for a while.  Better part of a year.  Johnny Winter, Eric Clapton...Joe!  All influential.  Gibson was out of the question, my skills and bank account wouldn't support such a purchase.  So it was an Epiphone that I was looking for, but they don't make them any more.  Pawn shops and classifieds gave me little to nothing.  None for sale within an 8-10 hour drive.  I located one in Ottawa, in what appeared to be perfect condition, the day after my brother in-law was there!  He could have checked it out and brought it back!  I found one in Toronto, 15 min from my brothers house.  I was going for the David Gilmour concert anyway, perfect.  But it was beat.  A project at best.  Sad face again.

Then, a week after getting back from Toronto I had to go to away for a course for work.  With my evenings free I had some time to kill.  During one of the lunch breaks, while looking for a place to eat, I saw a van in a parking lot with a company name on it.  I was sure it was just for used electronics but it did have a picture of a guitar...hmmm.  I went back that evening to check it out.  First thing I could see before walking in was a bunch of used electronics.  I went in anyway.  As soon as I got in I could see guitars hanging on the wall at the back, but I could also see they were a bunch of knock offs, $75 guitars.  But before I reached them I saw RED!  There it was, hanging on a stand in the middle of the store, not with the other guitars, no, it was all by it's self!  A Firebird!  Get out of my way!  Lemme at it!  Is it just another knock off?  Well, it wasn't a Gibson but it is an Epiphone.  I plugged it in, tried it out.  Put it back, and left the store.  I went for supper.  I need to Google this thing.  Yes, the store front was in view while I was eating.   Google was helpful.  Full belly, time to go back and make an offer.  They countered, I accepted, big grin, NGD!!

As it turns out, it is a 1998 Firebird III.  A few very minor dents but you really need to be looking for them, virtually no fret wear, it really just needed new strings and a good set up.  This model has the bolt on neck, not he typical neck through body.  And it's a hard tail.  Mini OBL humbuckers provide the sound.

GAS is satisfied for now.   

http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/DelZe … =2&o=0

Steve