Re: Joe's Big Reverbicated/delayed tone.

Ok so I am getting it,  what is the main point o separating the delay to one rig and reverb to the other?  I have heard the term 'washed out' but a slightly more detailed explanation would be great!

cragginshred wrote:

I have a question about the delay on one side and reverb on the other.    I am currently running no fx out of a 5150 III 50w head  dry to 2  2x12 cabs then line out to and Axe FXII to two Rcf monitors for a wet signal. I was thinking of removing the reverb from the wet side and putting a pedal in the loop of the head to have the traditional cabs with reverb and the monitors wet with delay and whatever else I want to run.   Thoughts?

where do you get the line out signal from? i´m getting my line out from a small box, a tech built me after the dry amps´ speaker out...so what´s so nice about that is that i don´t have to use the amps´ (whatever amp i use) fx loop, which often leads to loss of tone...so i´m running my axe fx II with the reverb panned to the left and the delay to the right side...

cragginshred wrote:

Ok so I am getting it,  what is the main point o separating the delay to one rig and reverb to the other?  I have heard the term 'washed out' but a slightly more detailed explanation would be great!

Well mainly cause some people heap gobs of reverb on their amp and then switch a big delay on top of it for solos and stuff. At which point all you hear is a large echo and little crisp note definition. Delay and reverb on one amp works perfectly fine as long as there isn't too much of each. By separating them into 2 separate amps, you can get a nice wet reverb tone overal and when you want delay, it comes thru another dry amp and you can get away with a bit louder delay cause the notes aren't also washed out with reverb on the SAME amp. Sometimes tho on albums, you'll hear the guitar signal doubled and panned left and right. One side will be just the wet reverb signal where basically you only hear ambiance and the other side will be dry guitar. Not my cup of tea but people do it.

I've played a few times doing a quick set with just a combo amp and my line 6 m9. So I'd set a good reverb and delay on the same channel. Since only one effect will be on at a time per channel, I easily toggled between the two for rhythm and solos. Worked great and is a other option side you're running mono. You could not use your monitors and just toggle between the two.

I do not use much Reverb, but the dry signal path to the traditional cabs is a pretty crappy sound, it's the Axe Fx with even the slightest amount of Fx that make the rig come alive.  Planning to buy a Boss reverb pedal and try using it in the loop.

I'm using a 4 amp set-up, running the amps in pairs, so only 2 on at any one time.
Pair 1 are a Marshall JTM1 paired with an Egnater Tweaker 15 (set up for Fender tone). Both amps semi overdriven, so clean up pretty quick when guitar volume rolled back. The Tw15 has a splash of chorus and a Boss Fender Spring Reverb running in the FX loop. Very nice tone for Blues Deluxe/Midnight Blues.
Pair 2 are a Marshall JMP1 again paired with another Tw15 which has another Boss reverb (plate) in the FX loop. This is my lead tone and is close to what you hear on Live from Nowhere in Particular.
My pedal board is forever expanding but overdrive is provided by a Fuchs Plush Drive and a Ibanez TS808. May add a Bogner Ecstacy Blue into the mix in the near future.
Main guitar is a Gibson LPR8 with Burstbucker 1&2's...

JB shows: Newcastle 2015, Hammersmith nights 3&4 2015, Calling Festival 2014, Newcastle 2012, Bridlington 2010
Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls; Skinnerburst #018 (Aged), Texas Burst (Heavy Aged), Fender Custom Shop Strat '63 Relic
Amps: Mini Jubilee Head, Carol-Ann Satin

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

overdrives and wahs dont sound good in the effects loop. keep those in front of your amp.  delays and chorus, etc. do have a different sound in the loop as opposed to the front of the amp...

Hey mate. im totally newbie on Amps and just got a Marshall haze 40w that has effects loop. How does this work? do i have to split my pedals (delay and reverb) to this input ? normally the pedalls are inline with each other right? just dont understand the basics of it.
thanks for any tip

Vandergledison wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

overdrives and wahs dont sound good in the effects loop. keep those in front of your amp.  delays and chorus, etc. do have a different sound in the loop as opposed to the front of the amp...

Hey mate. im totally newbie on Amps and just got a Marshall haze 40w that has effects loop. How does this work? do i have to split my pedals (delay and reverb) to this input ? normally the pedalls are inline with each other right? just dont understand the basics of it.
thanks for any tip

As a general rule you'd run modulation, delay and reverbs through your amps effects loop and then leave wah and boost/overdrive/distortions in front of the amp. smile

JB shows: Newcastle 2015, Hammersmith nights 3&4 2015, Calling Festival 2014, Newcastle 2012, Bridlington 2010
Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls; Skinnerburst #018 (Aged), Texas Burst (Heavy Aged), Fender Custom Shop Strat '63 Relic

cj19m wrote:

Hey guys,
            The very first thing i noticed about Joe B's tone when i first heard him was that he had a really nice subtle delay that really cleans up his gain and gives humongeous depth to his tone.  this sound is mostly from the New Day Yesterday Live CD and blues deluxe era.  Joe says he uses a Boss DD-3, i bought one and fooled with it, and i just cant get it to sound right, its too in the way and digital sounding, so i returned it and got an Ibanez AD-6 Analog Delay pedal, its better, but still way too in your face with a high gain setting.  Im not looking to get Joe Bonamassa's tone, i just want to know how he works his delay,  does anyone have any suggestions?  again, im not looking for "Run Like Hell" really prominent delay, its almost used as a reverb, i just cant seem to find a pedal that works.  heres the funny thing. I can achieve this tone on my practice amp its a Marshall MG30, the delay that comes with that amp is Phenomenal!!  the amp is just too small.  I need a good delay for my Jcm900 cuz it doesnt come with any effects.  all comments welcome!
Peace,
Conner

Run the delay thru your fx loop

R8 LEMONBURST wrote:

I'm using a 4 amp set-up, running the amps in pairs, so only 2 on at any one time.
Pair 1 are a Marshall JTM1 paired with an Egnater Tweaker 15 (set up for Fender tone). Both amps semi overdriven, so clean up pretty quick when guitar volume rolled back. The Tw15 has a splash of chorus and a Boss Fender Spring Reverb running in the FX loop. Very nice tone for Blues Deluxe/Midnight Blues.
Pair 2 are a Marshall JMP1 again paired with another Tw15 which has another Boss reverb (plate) in the FX loop. This is my lead tone and is close to what you hear on Live from Nowhere in Particular.
My pedal board is forever expanding but overdrive is provided by a Fuchs Plush Drive and a Ibanez TS808. May add a Bogner Ecstacy Blue into the mix in the near future.

The JMP1 has been sustituted for a JCM1. I can't put my finger on it but it just sounds better. Also using my '79 KM Model Les Paul again, now it's got a nice pair of SD/JB pickups and 50's wiring and bumblebee caps... Tone is a wonderful thing big_smile

im looking for Joe's Reverbicated/Delayed tone, i have 2 egnater tweaker 40s, a marshall 1960 Bv (which can be run in stereo), i am running a 2008 les paul G0, i am about to swap the pickups with home made paf replicas, and i am going to swap out the pots and caps for vintage reissue ones. i am running a gigrig quartermaster 10, through that i am running a boss tu-3, bonamassa wah, mxr '74 phase 45 reissue, a danelectro reel echo, and a catalinbread dirty little secret. and i am thinking about getting a hall of fame reverb. it is worth mentioning that the egnaters have FX loops, but i am not using them at the moment. oh and i am running my echo to be a mock-delay. what setup with all of these components would work best for joes huge reverb/delay, semi-cleanish lead tone, as found on Stop! and both solos of Dislocated Boy?

thanks

R8 LEMONBURST wrote:
R8 LEMONBURST wrote:

The JMP1 has been sustituted for a JCM1. I can't put my finger on it but it just sounds better. Also using my '79 KM Model Les Paul again, now it's got a nice pair of SD/JB pickups and 50's wiring and bumblebee caps... Tone is a wonderful thing big_smile

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BV6HfASIAAA27Ys.jpg

^^^^^
I thought about making a rig like that with 1x12s, looks rad dude!

I had one of those Marshall micro stacks. The had actually sounded half decent thru a bigger 2x12. Was a fun home amp but sold it for home improvements eventually.

Hey as joe uses multiple amps his delay tone only goes through his main amp which is a marshall silver jubilee the delay runs through the effects loop so using multiple amps means that the dd3/ delay doesn't mush your hole tone smile

Does anybody know the settings on his catagory 5 and Jubilee?

The effects loop is the secret. Thats what Joe does.

[img]fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10347570_745554602154273_8520138001384401961_n.jpg[/img]

Jub with DD3 in effects loop, Mark IV with Reverb. Two separate cabs for those 2 sounds.

Hey, I just shot a video discussing this rig - giving tips how you can set it up etc.
youtube.com/watch?v=A-xwbfkP4VY

So???? Is it bad that I don't use an effects loop?? I just run a clean amp with all my fx through the front .-. Effect loops confuse me ....like I see why u would use one if u r  running a dirty amp ...but....

Joe Bonamassa changed my guitar playing in a good way