1 (edited by cj19m 2007-03-15 02:28:34)

Topic: Joe's Big Reverbicated/delayed tone.

Hey guys,
            The very first thing i noticed about Joe B's tone when i first heard him was that he had a really nice subtle delay that really cleans up his gain and gives humongeous depth to his tone.  this sound is mostly from the New Day Yesterday Live CD and blues deluxe era.  Joe says he uses a Boss DD-3, i bought one and fooled with it, and i just cant get it to sound right, its too in the way and digital sounding, so i returned it and got an Ibanez AD-6 Analog Delay pedal, its better, but still way too in your face with a high gain setting.  Im not looking to get Joe Bonamassa's tone, i just want to know how he works his delay,  does anyone have any suggestions?  again, im not looking for "Run Like Hell" really prominent delay, its almost used as a reverb, i just cant seem to find a pedal that works.  heres the funny thing. I can achieve this tone on my practice amp its a Marshall MG30, the delay that comes with that amp is Phenomenal!!  the amp is just too small.  I need a good delay for my Jcm900 cuz it doesnt come with any effects.  all comments welcome!
Peace,
Conner

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

Re: Joe's Big Reverbicated/delayed tone.

I remember Joe saying that he uses the DD-3 with all the knobs on 12 o'clock. I don't know if he uses an older or newer DD3 though.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

Running in stereo is a big part of his sound one side dry one side wet. If your Marshall is a stereo cab all you need is to buy another amp. smile

jim m wrote:

Running in stereo is a big part of his sound one side dry one side wet. If your Marshall is a stereo cab all you need is to buy another amp. smile

Hey Jim, I like that little smiley face you put after "all you need to do is buy another amp"
LOL. That usually makes me smile when I think of buying a new amp or guitar!!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Yeah, a second amp really sounds good.  I don't gig with this set up, but I find that the stereo out on my Maxon AD999 works real well to spread out the delay.  My two amps are set about 8' apart (THD Univalve and Fender Champ).

Russ B.

Joe of course doesn't spread his amps out. They are behind the plexi shield. they are mic'd and panned hard left and right in the FOH.

The plexi shields are the best thing to happen for controling stage volume. The club I book for in OKC has them available and require their use for all local bands. With some convincing even the national acts will give them a try. Mato was here in early December and used one. He wanted to buy it and take it with him.

Clear Sonic recently started making a 3 foot tall by 4 foot wide panel that will cover a Marshall cabinet. Joe uses a custom made 34" by 6' that covers his side by side Marshall style cabinets. They have a 2' by 4' standard size that will cover any Fender.

We had a Tool type act in last week and they couldn't believe how much it helped their stage volume problems and being able to hear the monitors.

I read an article where Warren Haynes uses a piece of plywood in front of his amp wich also had a mic on it. He called it plywood slapback. He says this technique yields a stereo image with more balls and immediacy than youd get from a typical stereo reverb or effects processor.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback!  its funny that you mention it, his "A New Day Yesterday Live" Cd is mixed in that stereo you guys were talkin about.  the left side is really reverbicated with some delay on it, and the right track has a completely dry guitar track,  the reverb/delay track on the left is a bit quieter to creat the far away echoing sound.  this tone is exactly what im talkin about!  thanks guys......oh **##....now i need to buy another amp!   lol.
Peace.
Conner
PS. OO i just thought of something...do you think the same thing would happen if you ran the signal through the PA at the venue and double miked the amp, and panned one hard right and one hard left and added the effects in through the pa?  i guess you wouldnt get the same feeling while playing, a completely dry guitar track is a little harder to play with, or maybe hearing it through the monitor would help?  oh well.  thanks anyways guys!

Fender '62 reissue Stratocaster, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio(Stock), Marshall JCM900 100W Head, Original 1972 Carvin 4/12 Cabinet,Ibanez Ts9 Reissue, Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox Wah

Hey everybody....
          Heres how you do the delay thing.. 1st ( Jim your right) you need a wet and a delay amp.. Preferably two different kinds of overdrive.  ex.Marshall/lFender or Marshall / Dumble..  Those are the two I use..  One side ( Marshall) put a DD-3 with all knobs set to 12 oclock, you may have to tweek them depending on the unit itself.. I have 6 DD-3s and they all sound a little different..Keeley makes a good version with a analog switch thats my current fav.  Next take your Fender/ Dumble style amp use a out board reverb (ex Boss digital reverb or old fender spring) or if your amp has reverb so much the better. Disclaimer: the old Fender springs are a constant battle to keep working.. They sound great but are the crutch of my existence right now.. I carry 3, two in the trailer and one on the bus.  Maybe one works right on any given day.. maybe...  So delay on one side reverb on the other.  This makes it all naturally separate both on stage and in the house..  Next is the most imortant thing.  The Delay must be run through the effects loop..  Running a delay in front the amp is extremely difficult to handle.  It runs away from you and its hard to control.  The effects loop is the only answer..  Now as far as effects loops are concerned.  Standard Marshall ones wired in series are the best..  Stay away from the ones wired parallel with all the knobs and controls and switches. They are way too much work and render poor results.. The rest is personal taste.. more subtle or wet or inbetween is up to you.. Its also important to realize that this is not my original recipe, its Eric Johnson's circa 1988.   Got to give credit were its due. Lots of racking my brain trying to figure that one out.     Thanks Joe Bonamassa

Conner,
Thanks for the good question and Joe for the explanation. Although you lost me at the FX loop part. I guess that means the delay is between the pre and power amp instead of in front of. I'm going to stick this topic since a lot of people wonder how Joe gets that fat sound. The first time I saw Joe Eric Johnson is who he reminded me of and I could hear the influence EJ had on Joe.

Hey Joe- When you use the Two Rock (Which, for those of you who don't know, is one of the better Dumbleish amps on the market) do you run it fairly clean or do you push the tubes with some gain?

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Joe...Thanks so much!  I'd just like to add that you've given me a new boost of motivation on the axe man, im hoping to get down to New Haven in Febuary to see your show, if i run into you ill say hi!  anyway this goes out to anyone that can answer me, i know it sounds dumb...I dont know too much about gear i kinda play and worry about my tone, but i dont know **## about gear, lol.  anyway here it goes.  How do i run two amps simutaneously?  theres gotta be some signal splitter...but how do i do that without losing tone and volume and stuff? 
thanks guys,
Conner

ps. joe, I go to Berklee in boston and im sure Berklee would be more than happy to have you for a clinic at the performance center!  see if you can swing that next time your in boston cuz most berklee guitarists havent heard of you, i try and preach your music as much as possible, but a clinic would get you some exposure.  take care.

The best dumble style amp  have run across is the a amp that I use in europe and will have in the states later this month.  Its called a Twinkleland and its made by Peter VanWeelden in Holland.  Simply a stunning amp.  The Two Rock has more of a high gain Eric Johnson thing.. Alot of people rave about the clean sound about those.. I think there is something wrong with mine cause it has no clean headroom.. The reason I havent sent it back to get serviced is that I really like it the way it is..  The fuchs is a combination of the the two amps I just described.  All very good, very articulate and very direct.  They are good a showcasing all my mistakes.  Like playing a acoustic guitar in a outside way.. thanks Joe Bonamassa

14 (edited by ross 2007-01-18 11:53:25)

Joe
Did you use the dd-3 in your Budda loop as well?

Joe, did I see a Fulltone Tube Echo next to your amps Saturday night?
I noticed the echo intensity and repeats did not change during the show.
Sacrificing flexibility for tone, possibly?

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

"1st ( Jim your right) you need a wet and a delay amp.. Preferably two different kinds of overdrive.  ex.Marshall/lFender or Marshall / Dumble..  Those are the two I use.."

By the way, I use a Marshall DSL100 Channel B along with an old Hiwatt for overdriven stuff, and the Marshall channel A along with a Fender for cleaner things.  Similar to Joe's setup, just different.  My DDL runs in the effects loop of the Marshall.  Very big sound and very versatile.

Craig's Guitar Tech Resource - free information online.
Guitar Repair and Customization in Northeast Ohio since 1979.

http://www.guitartechcraig.com

jim m wrote:

Conner,
Thanks for the good question and Joe for the explanation. Although you lost me at the FX loop part. I guess that means the delay is between the pre and power amp instead of in front of. I'm going to stick this topic since a lot of people wonder how Joe gets that fat sound. The first time I saw Joe Eric Johnson is who he reminded me of and I could hear the influence EJ had on Joe.

yeah me too.  I dont use a effect loop so I dont understand.  I go
Strat or my Silverburst LP-> Boss Tuner TT-2->EVH 90-> Ibanez TS9-> Line 6 Flextone III

overdrives and wahs dont sound good in the effects loop. keep those in front of your amp.  delays and chorus, etc. do have a different sound in the loop as opposed to the front of the amp...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool