Topic: Jumbo frets. Anyone try them?

Hey all-

I've been listening to a lot of Philip Sayce lately. I think his tone is just to die for and after a little research I found out he uses heavy strings (11-59... I figured that was the case) and 6000 super jumbo fret wire so he can really dig in. This is something that I'd like to try, but it makes me nervous because I have no idea if ill like it or not and I'm sure it's pretty pricey for a re-fret. Let alone two if I don't like it. Anyone have any experience with it? I'm about to get a strat neck made.... Maybe ill just have it made with 6000 fretwire and have it changed if I don't like it.

Also - I know his tone lies in his super cranked fender amps. Just trying to thicken my own strat tone.

Thanks!
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Jumbo frets. Anyone try them?

Hello Logan,
As a player AND a luthier, i have all sorts of run-ins with all sorts of fret sizes and string guages. In my personal opinion/experience it really is all up to what kind of feel you desire. For my playing style I tend to like to use 11's on my standard tuned guitars, and i like to dig in. Ive tried out all different fret sizes and they all have a different feel. But, if you like alot of "meat" under your fingers the bigger frets are nice, not to mention they tend to last longer. I have had a few experiences doing re-frets on customers guitars where the customer wanted the absolute biggest, most gigantic frewire i could find. Personally i felt it was too much, but the customers loved it.
      I tend to use a, what i'd call, medium-jumbo fret wire on my guitars. They have enough meat on them to feel comfortable when "digging in" But it dosent feel unnessasarily chunky under my fingers. Also, if you do end up going with super jumbo fretwire and you dont like the height, they can always be filed down a bit more to relieve some of that. But not much you will be able to do about the width of the wire after installed.

But you will never really truly know what you like till you try it. Maybe also try going to a guitar shop and asking if they have any examples of guitars with super jumbo frets to try out.

-Steve Balkun

Hey Steve-
Thanks for the reply! I am in the middle of a '63 strat replica build right now... I ordered a neck from musikraft (chunky C with brazilian rswd veneer board). Originally I had ordered 6000 Super Jumbo Frets, but was worried that I may not like it, so I had it switched to M. Jumbo stainless steel frets... we shall see when I get it all put together!

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

I think I have 6105 frets on my Explorer. The old 1979 E2 had pretty flat ones on it, so I had it refretted in 1997. It was WELL worth it, and it actually felt like a different guitar, in a good way. The old frets were really keeping it from blossoming. I think this same way when I play my brother's "fretless wonder" Les Paul Custom 25th anniversary black guitar. The frets are so low on the thing, I think to myself, if it was mine I'd have it refretted!

In the studio, I like using frets that aren't so high. If you get a rush of adrenaline, you can push down harder on the string and make the note go shart. sad so I use my guitars that don't have as high of frets.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Awesome - thanks Nic.

On a completely different note, let me know next time you visit Cleveland and want to go to the rock and roll hall of fame. I have some contacts there that could give you a private tour through the vaults.

Logan

Logo33 wrote:

Hey Steve-
Thanks for the reply! I am in the middle of a '63 strat replica build right now... I ordered a neck from musikraft (chunky C with brazilian rswd veneer board). Originally I had ordered 6000 Super Jumbo Frets, but was worried that I may not like it, so I had it switched to M. Jumbo stainless steel frets... we shall see when I get it all put together!

Thanks,
Logan

I have an '85 strat with factory medium jumbos - it is great.

I have jumbo SS frets (0.57 x 0.110) on my Suhr modern and I like them.  I'm not sure i'd go jumbo again, though, they're just so much bigger than I'm used to.  This is the first guitar I've had with them, although I have used various "medium jumbo" frets before.  I like that you can really dig in, but you can also use a light touch.  Some days I like not feeling the wood, some days I miss it. smile

In short: I do like them, but it's a bigger difference than I was expecting.  You might want to try before you buy, so to speak.

Also, I know some folks don't like them, but personally I'd never buy a guitar without stainless frets again (unless it was a cheapie or a vintage guitar).  Love the slinky feel.  I hear good things about EVO frets, too, almost as hard as SS but not as much of a pain to work with.  Never tried them myself, but I hear good things... for what that's worth (2c).

Logan, Don't forget that whilst Philip uses 11's, he tunes down to E-flat too, which will reduce the string tension and give an overall more sonorous tone.

I've played a few guitars with big frets, but they are not my preference.  I didn't like the 'washboard' feel when I did glissandos etc. up and down the neck.  My favourite frets are the 6150's which I have in a couple of my newer guitars.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

sbalkun2 wrote:

Hello Logan,
As a player AND a luthier, i have all sorts of run-ins with all sorts of fret sizes and string guages. In my personal opinion/experience it really is all up to what kind of feel you desire. For my playing style I tend to like to use 11's on my standard tuned guitars, and i like to dig in. Ive tried out all different fret sizes and they all have a different feel. But, if you like alot of "meat" under your fingers the bigger frets are nice, not to mention they tend to last longer. I have had a few experiences doing re-frets on customers guitars where the customer wanted the absolute biggest, most gigantic frewire i could find. Personally i felt it was too much, but the customers loved it.
      I tend to use a, what i'd call, medium-jumbo fret wire on my guitars. They have enough meat on them to feel comfortable when "digging in" But it dosent feel unnessasarily chunky under my fingers. Also, if you do end up going with super jumbo fretwire and you dont like the height, they can always be filed down a bit more to relieve some of that. But not much you will be able to do about the width of the wire after installed.

But you will never really truly know what you like till you try it. Maybe also try going to a guitar shop and asking if they have any examples of guitars with super jumbo frets to try out.

-Steve Balkun

Hey Steve
What is the location of your web site?
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

He's not doing anything Stevie Ray Vaughan didn't do in the 80's.  SRV would use .013 with the biggest fret wire he could find then tune down a half step.  I'm sure it made playing acoustics easy.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Ad- I agree about the Stevie ray thing. He is very, very srv/Hendrix inspired, yet he can still sound like himself. I really love the custom by cougar amps he's using but unfortunately they are way out of my price range. The tones he pulls with an old fuzz, a vintage strat, and those amps is just out of this world (I think).

Hey dude, super big/tall frets are going to have a similar (not exact) effect as scalloping your fretboard. So if you're not into that, extra tall frets might not be for you. It will almost feels like you string action is higher because your fingers aren't going to make as much if any contact with the wood. Overall; the guitar will be a bit more difficult to play.

I had both of my strats "lightly" scalloped. The frets are a normal size and I prefer that combination but I doubt you'll want to scallop what is to be a specific year replica guitar. I had one board with a deep scallop and extra tall frets put on to boot... awful.

I think unless you're left hand is more on the aggressive side, you'll prefer more of a normal size fret.

cindyron wrote:
sbalkun2 wrote:

Hello Logan,

-Steve Balkun

Hey Steve
What is the location of your web site?
Cheers Ron

Hi Ron,
My guitar shop webstie is www.balkunguitars.com, it needs quite a bit of updating but that is it for now. If you are at all interested in seeing more, i have a facebook page for the shop as well. Which is updated much more regularly. that can be found here : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Balkun-G … 0896850469

-steve b

Helrazr- the only scalloped guitar that I've played was an Yngwie strat. That was several years ago and I don't think I liked it, but those scallops are pretty extreme. I need to find a guitar in my area that is set up like that. I played one with jumbo frets yesterday, but it was an Ibanez with a super thin neck and thin strings.

Logan

Logo33 wrote:

Helrazr- the only scalloped guitar that I've played was an Yngwie strat. That was several years ago and I don't think I liked it, but those scallops are pretty extreme. I need to find a guitar in my area that is set up like that. I played one with jumbo frets yesterday, but it was an Ibanez with a super thin neck and thin strings.

Logan

Some of the most recent year model Yngwie strats do have a deeper scallop. Like I said, they aren't the same animal but tall frets have a similar feel. I think a good compensation is a taller fret wire but not the biggest unless you really have good technique and of tear into the strings hard.

I guess another problem is that I don't really know if I have a heavy or light touch... I don't really know how to compare it. I don't really have a set preference when it comes to necks because I just pick it up and play it. Being to thick or too thin is about the most that I even really notice.

look at your most played guitar and check for dinged frets.  If you find dings in your frets and the guitar isn't 10 years old odds are you have a heavy touch.  If you have frets that have even fret wear due to bending but no dings you have a light touch.  People who start off playing guitar generally alway have a heavy touch until they get some playing time under them.  So don't look at your first guitar.  Maybe your most recent purchase like that ES-335 you've got.

a refret on a strat is not THAT expensive... about 300-350 depending on the luthier.  my feeling is, go to a local GC and find some SRV strats or something that would come with jumbo frets, and give one a spin.

Amp: Firebird Musical Amplifiers
Guitars: 2x 1962 LPs , 02 FB VII, 76 Electra Omega, 64 SG Special, 63 LP Jr, 73 LPC
Effects: Van Weelden ROD