Re: guilty pleasure tuneage

helrazr84 wrote:

One song I always crank the $hit out of on the radio is Alone, by Heart.. for a guy, that may be classified as on the sissy side but I don't care, I like the song! And I will admit, sometimes I'll listen to a Katy Perry song if one comes up while scanning the stations..thats as far as I'm going for now.

I don't know that anything by Heart could be classified as a guilty pleasure...Nancy Wilson has an AMAZING voice, quite possibly the best female rock vocalist ever. Needless to say being a local band I've seen them countless times, the first time when their debut album Dreamboat Annie was just released, and most recently last Summer.

When it comes to crankability, Hijinx, Straight On For You and Mistral Wind off Dog and Butterfly are cuts that DEMAND high sound pressure levels!

don't think I am embarrassed about any music that I like, - have always had the view that music is about emotion and mood, - and thankfully we have different moods an emotions so there will always be a music to fit..

Love good dance music, - some of it is pretty heavy these days, - Prodigy, Pendulum etc. Love 50's style schmuse, - a bit of 70-'s disco never did anybody any harm, must admit the keyboard era in the 80's was a bit naff but even then some good stuff shone out including Gary Numan, - "Our Friends Electric" is a great song, - there are occasions where a bit of folk can sound good, - The Waterboys have been and still remain one of my favourite bands, - Mike Scott is pure genius. Probably the only music that I struggle with is what I would call naff American country, - the type of country music that is more pop that country, - don't mind a bit of blue grass, - the soundtrack to "Oh Brother where are thou" is brilliant!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

21 (edited by JBFan4Life 2012-09-10 11:53:55)

Hey Stu,

I'm a Heart fan too, and I'm sure you meant Ann Wilson, since she does most of the heavy lifting, vocals-wise.  (EDIT, to add that I wasn't making a sly crack about her weight, either.)  Ann's pipes aren't quite what they used to be, but still a great singer.  She brings it all the way from her toes, still, the best she can.

But the subject is "guilty pleasures", and folks are entitled to their internal "guilt trips".  And even to express them in the light of day (or on the boards). big_smile  Have to agree with Ian916, about "O Brother" soundtrack.  I watched a little bit of a special on bluegrass last night on PBS.

Back on topic, if I went back quite a ways, I would name "Sugar" by the Archies.  And maybe a Monkee's tune or two.  Though the Monkee's had some really good jams, too (IMO).  Even if they were something of a fake band, at one point.

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

JBFan4Life wrote:

Hey Stu,

I'm a Heart fan too, and I'm sure you meant Ann Wilson, since she does most of the heavy lifting, vocals-wise.  (EDIT, to add that I wasn't making a sly crack about her weight, either.)  Ann's pipes aren't quite what they used to be, but still a great singer.  She brings it all the way from her toes, still, the best she can.

But the subject is "guilty pleasures", and folks are entitled to their internal "guilt trips".  And even to express them in the light of day (or on the boards). big_smile  Have to agree with Ian916, about "O Brother" soundtrack.  I watched a little bit of a special on bluegrass last night on PBS.

Back on topic, if I went back quite a ways, I would name "Sugar" by the Archies.  And maybe a Monkee's tune or two.  Though the Monkee's had some really good jams, too (IMO).  Even if they were something of a fake band, at one point.

Ann...yes, my bad! :-)

After thinking a short while, the one that came to mind was Wilson Phillips' debut album.
Pick almost any song...I thought it was a great LP with only one or two songs I wasn't crazy about.
I discovered this while traveling with my wife and two daughters....taking turns on CD picks has paid off on occasion, like when they inserted this disc into the cd player.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I will admit to liking all those syrupy bands in the 60's - Monkees, Paul Revere & Raiders, Rascals.... I have always liked Billy Joel after seeing him on the piano man tour. and in the 90's I liked Terrence Trent D'Arby, Symphony or Damn is worth a listen, he plays every instrument on every song. Since then I've tightened up the tastes a little bit, maybe thanks to Joe. Oh, and forgot to mention Loverboy. roll

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

25 (edited by Stu Craig 2012-09-11 16:41:21)

ahsmith33 wrote:

I will admit to liking all those syrupy bands in the 60's - Monkees, Paul Revere & Raiders, Rascals.... I have always liked Billy Joel after seeing him on the piano man tour. and in the 90's I liked Terrence Trent D'Arby, Symphony or Damn is worth a listen, he plays every instrument on every song. Since then I've tightened up the tastes a little bit, maybe thanks to Joe. Oh, and forgot to mention Loverboy. roll

Billy Joel's "Turnstiles" album ranks very highly among my all time favorite recordings. I was preaching the gospel of Billy Joel back then to all my friends. He eventually moved to more commerically viable material and I lost interest but Turnstiles remains a landmark recording.

And the Monkees? OMG...(now hanging my head in shame) I did buy "More of the Monkees" with money I earned mowing lawns. And yeah, I did dig it at the time.

Oh no don't look at me like Auntie Grizelda...

26 (edited by Bill S 2012-09-11 18:46:29)

Additional reflection brought these to mind:
Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables (soundtracks).

No embarrassment in my part since you won't find a better collection of voices anywhere on the planet!

Joe Bonamassa's "drink coaster"?

Linda Ronstadt, John Denver. Still love them.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Okay I admit, I've been holding off because it is somewhat embarrassing, but I have been known to dance around in the livingroom to Prince and the Revolution. Yes, I admit it, and to be further "exposed before my peers", as Roger Waters would say, I do actually enjoy the Gotye song:"somebody that I used to know". I will understand if I am now ostracized from the group. smile

LOL...as they say, confession is good for the soul.

I'm getting more than a few chuckles from this thread.  Thanks for starting it, pelajane1.  (I think there have been others in this vein, too.)

And thanks to all who are participating.  Been more than a few replies where I've thought, "really?  Me too."  Prince being the latest.  I used to refer to him as "that li'l purple dude" (not original to me), but he can really play guitar, and writes some decent tunes, IMO.  Remember doing some serious dancing with a good friend to "Let's Go Crazy".  (Well...she did the serious dancing, I just had fun moving.  Which is what dancing is all about.)

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

never considered Prince to be laughable in any way. I like a lot of it, and the guy can play guitar pretty well. He's a little over the top, but a very kool kat imo.

RickB wrote:

Linda Ronstadt, John Denver. Still love them.
Rick

John Denver, no - but Linda, OH YES! cool tongue

I have always loved her voice whatever she sings. Man, this has just sent me down such a nostalgia trip! Linda was one of my holy ladies trilogy together with The Goddess (Bonnie) and Emmylou. I will confess that whereas Bonnie was just always way up there on that pedestal, and Emmylou had a waif-like innocence that prevented me from having any of 'those' feelings for her, Linda was the complete deal for me. On top of loving everything about her, her voice, her innocence, her looks, yes, I also lusted for Linda. *blush smilie*

Thinking about Linda reminded me that I have an astonishingly sensational concert from 1980 on an old VHS, though like most of us, I no longer have a VHS player connected. Google is your friend! big_smile

I discovered that most of the concert, which I believe was filmed in Santa Barbara for HBO, and which features one of the most bad azz, kick azz bands ever assembled as a 'backing' band, was (of course) available on youtube if you knew how to look for it! wink I have also discovered that the concert is (or was) available in very good quality on dvd (from VHS) from  Ioffer or 70s-tv.com for around $14!!

Here's your starter, Rick. Watch for the band intro around the 7 min mark, after which she kicks into a Poor Poor Pitiful Me that's maybe even a little better than Warren Zevon's original! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBR2u5CeBvw

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

nmagcorn wrote:

it is somewhat embarrassing, but I have been known to dance around in the livingroom to Prince and the Revolution.

Love Prince, in his hay day - great all round musician & producer.

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

wow, great footage there G. I have also loved her since day one of hearing that voice. I recognized Kortch and Billy Payne immediately. Silver Threads is wonderful, appeals to my country leanings and that's another somewhat guilty pleasure that I'll bypass for now.

ahsmith33 wrote:

wow, great footage there G. I have also loved her since day one of hearing that voice. I recognized Kortch and Billy Payne immediately. Silver Threads is wonderful, appeals to my country leanings and that's another somewhat guilty pleasure that I'll bypass for now.

Ain't it just? big_smile

Here's a whole half hour of the same concert - I just can't get over how good this band was! Not surprising really, when you see who's on keys. cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgIv-kJzURU

Do we need a dedicated Linda appreciation topic? There isn't one, I've just done a really good search.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

36 (edited by RickB 2012-09-12 11:33:17)

Oh wow, I hadn't heard that one GDawg. I will admit a bit of lust back in the day myself. What a BABE! The wife and I saw her here 5 years ago. Age has taken its toll and she is pretty hefty but the pipes remain. Tremendously versatile chops as well. Rock, pop, folk, country, Broadway musicals, opera and then the sojourn into Mexican Mariachi music which reignited her career in Latino culture. (She is fluent in Spanish since her heritage is Mexican.) None like her ever, surely the voice of her generation! Glad my secret love has friends. big_smile
Rick
I'll confess a love for Mariachi as well. Here she is tearing your heart out in a classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJfXiOrK … re=related

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381