Re: Bonamassa Signature ES-335

Cathy calls me "Baby Face". At 54 I take that as a badge of honor. A show of love. I've never liked the term "boy". I never will. But like I said, what someone "says" whilst pounding out at a keyboard on some forum is of no consequence. Say it to my face and we'll go at it.

If anyone is looking for a Bona-335, there is one available at Wildwood. There was two, but one is currently en route to me. big_smile My only regret is that it won't be here by the time I leave for tomorrow night's show.

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

Jimmy wrote:

If anyone is looking for a Bona-335, there is one available at Wildwood. There was two, but one is currently en route to me. big_smile My only regret is that it won't be here by the time I leave for tomorrow night's show.

Awesome, congrats!  Looks like these have vintage  Tone pro tuners, where as the GC ones have std. Klusons?
Jim

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products … 10&n=0

jclark42796 wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Awesome, congrats!  Looks like these have vintage  Tone pro tuners, where as the GC ones have std. Klusons?
Jim

Hmm, I would think the tuners would be the same. All I know is it has a neck that's similar to my Bonaburst, I don't already own an ES-335, and it's Gibson CS, so it will sound terrific!

Jimmy wrote:
jclark42796 wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Jim

Hmm, I would think the tuners would be the same. All I know is it has a neck that's similar to my Bonaburst, I don't already own an ES-335, and it's Gibson CS, so it will sound terrific!

They are one and the the same. Tone-Pro  now makes the Kluson tuners.
http://www.toneproskluson.com/

Chuck Fleming
Bloomington, Indiana

Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa Es-335, Gibson JBLP Studio Gold Top, Epiphone JBLP Gold Top, Gibson Les Paul "Standard" Gold Top, 2 Gibson ES 339's,Carvin (Self Built), Gibson SG Standard, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Ibanez (Something or other), Yamaha Acoustic.

Thanks Chuck.  Looking at the WW picts the tuners looked aged which I equated that to vintage.  My 335 tuners appear to be just regular klusons.  Maybe they're considered vintage, just not aged?  Are yours aged in any way?

Jim

jclark42796 wrote:

Thanks Chuck.  Looking at the WW picts the tuners looked aged which I equated that to vintage.  My 335 tuners appear to be just regular klusons.  Maybe they're considered vintage, just not aged?  Are yours aged in any way?

Jim

Jim, Mine appear to be aged the same way as the rest of the Hardware. The Kluson tuners on ours are replicas of what was used in the day. Here is a link to a great article about some of the tuners used over some of the years. This article will also clear up some of the terminology used in the identification process.

I keep this article handy when I start looking at details of vintage guitars I might be interested in.

http://www.doctorvintage.com/tuners/50s_klusons.html

Chuck Fleming
Bloomington, Indiana

Guitars: Gibson Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa Es-335, Gibson JBLP Studio Gold Top, Epiphone JBLP Gold Top, Gibson Les Paul "Standard" Gold Top, 2 Gibson ES 339's,Carvin (Self Built), Gibson SG Standard, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, Ibanez (Something or other), Yamaha Acoustic.

Chuck wrote:
jclark42796 wrote:

Jim

Jim, Mine appear to be aged the same way as the rest of the Hardware. The Kluson tuners on ours are replicas of what was used in the day. Here is a link to a great article about some of the tuners used over some of the years. This article will also clear up some of the terminology used in the identification process.

I keep this article handy when I start looking at details of vintage guitars I might be interested in.

http://www.doctorvintage.com/tuners/50s_klusons.html

Thanks Chuck!

In case anybody's looking for one... I saw #44 hanging on the wall in the "platinum room" of the Guitar Center on Orange Blossom in Orlanda yesterday - looks great and the tag reads $3,335 - go get'em boys! smile

kestrou

I went to my local GC Friday, saw the manager who went the extra distance to get mine. He wanted to know how I liked it etc. I told him the story about JB seeing mine and signing it.

He said the 335 that was supposed to be mine (if you recall, they forgot to 3-day ship it as requestd, so it wouldn't have arrived before the Pgh show) eventually did come in. The mgr sadi it didn't last a day or two before someone put it on layaway. He did say that the case had a hole punched through it, but the shipping box was fine. Wonder if the prior GC caused it or if Gibson let it go out like that?

I can't imagine the Gibson Custom Shop sending out a case with a hole in it.

So, how is everyone liking their Sig ES335?

Frankly it took a bit of time for me to get used to it...I was mainly a Tele player, and mine is about as opposite as you can imagine from the 335: maple U-shaped neck (quite thick, but very comfy to play), of course single coil, compact body, etc. The neck is a bit wider too, which helps when you're ham-handed like me! smile

Mine being an 8502 (ltd production from 2003 - 2007) the p'ups are a bit more rock-oriented than most Tele's, sort of like a Nocaster.
Anyway, been playing the 335 a lot lately, and realize the more I play the better I like it! Starting to really bond such that it may be my #1.

No complaints , its here to stay.  I'm really loving mine!  I'm digging the action and the 57 classics!  I think we found one of those hidden treasures!

Jim

The 57 classics are great sounding stock pickups when they have the 50s style wiring to go along with them. I like them better than the burstbuckers.

Today, messing around the the 335 acoustically, I find the D string is buzzing on the 3rd and 4th fret, as if I am playing 2 notes at one time.
Not familar with setting up a 335, how should I go about correcting this buzz?

TJNies wrote:

Today, messing around the the 335 acoustically, I find the D string is buzzing on the 3rd and 4th fret, as if I am playing 2 notes at one time.
Not familar with setting up a 335, how should I go about correcting this buzz?

If everything else (truss rod, string height) is adjusted properly, I would assume the nut is cut to deep.

hey guys !

I'm a gibson artist but I had to BUY that one and I am SO happy with it...here's a videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XScut0XMk0U