Re: No Hockey Fans This Post Season???

Rocket wrote:

With Fuzzy Wuzzy as Rangers fan, so glad series just went 2-1 Rangers, home ice next game.  Lundquist looking very sharp (even on iPad radio)!  39 saves including great one with Ottawa's extra skater on the ice in the last minute with Anderson pulled for empty net.

Pengiuns Adams received a 1 game suspension and coach fined for yesterday's fiasco.  Brawl yes, but not "quite" a good ol ' "donnybrook"!

Go Rangers!

Rocket,
I watched the end of that game and that save was phenomenal! You leave an NHL player alone with the puck directly in front of the net and they probably score 75% of the time or more. That was exciting...although I was hoping for OT...only because I didn't want the game to end!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I haven't felt this excited about ice hockey since the Flyers won back-to-back Stanley Cups in the 70's. I admit I'm not a diehard, watch every regular season game kinda' fan, BUT these play-off games are really exciting even though I'm probably atypical, I don't love all the fighting.  If its allowed because of ratings, I'm even less for it, but that's just me! Part of me is saying its OK if we don't sweep Pittsburgh in 4 games, if we do, I'm afraid one of the Flyers will end up severely injured. I don't really understand the rules when it comes to when fights are broken up or not.

As far as the last game with the Penguins ~ WOW!! I have pity on Pittsburgh and actually I feel really sorry for Crosby and at the same time, I lost so much respect for him.  His behavior to me was all about feeling so desperate, which is really sad.  Why would anyone who has traveled the road he has with concussions, deliberately put himself in harms way like he did-he started it? Stupid, silly and sad and I'm sure so frustrating for him, he has had a frustrating season...but its just a game... And the hair pulling on Hartnell?  I felt like I was watching playground stuff but in adult bodies. lol

Some of the tension between the Flyers and the Penguins goes back to a few weeks ago.  Funny about this Hulk Hogan Penguin fan mocking the Flyers and then the Flyers end up winning in an amazing come from behind.
http://www.thespec.com/news/article/697 … uins-brawl

Rocket ~ No comments from you about the old Broad Street Bullies!! Miss you, Love you - hope you are doing OK, nice to see you posting wink Tinkerbell smile

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

rpic wrote:
Bill S wrote:

Wow! What an exciting day for hockey! OT games...and double OT, last second goals, brawls and loads of penalties, game misconducts...most series tied and the omens that aren't are semi-surprises (LA over Vancouver and Flyers up 2-0 after being down big in both games)
This is why hockey is my favorite sport to watch!
Blackhawks score with 5.5 seconds left and win in OT to tie their series at 1-1. I'll go to sleep smiling tonight after a great day of hockey.

That Blackhawk game was amazing and a good reason why you never stop watching a game. Ya just never know what might happen.

Shame on the Dawg, last night I jumped back to the Giants game when the Sharks were down 4-1 with 6 min.'s to play. The Giants lost to Philly and I flipped back to find the Sharks only down 4-3 with 16.8 seconds left and they just missed a shot on goal as time ran out. Not bailin' next time, Sharks gotta lotta work to do.

Rock The Vote,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Bill S wrote:
Rocket wrote:

With Fuzzy Wuzzy as Rangers fan, so glad series just went 2-1 Rangers, home ice next game.  Lundquist looking very sharp (even on iPad radio)!  39 saves including great one with Ottawa's extra skater on the ice in the last minute with Anderson pulled for empty net.

Pengiuns Adams received a 1 game suspension and coach fined for yesterday's fiasco.  Brawl yes, but not "quite" a good ol ' "donnybrook"!

Go Rangers!

Rocket,
I watched the end of that game and that save was phenomenal! You leave an NHL player alone with the puck directly in front of the net and they probably score 75% of the time or more. That was exciting...although I was hoping for OT...only because I didn't want the game to end!

You guys are right, that was a great game! Playoff hockey at its best. Looking forward to game four.

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Angela wrote:

Fuzzy ~ Is that the most AWESOME photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated with your goalie?

Your team will likely stand in the way of a few including my Flyers...but its kinda' interesting that the Penguins are favored to win the Stanley Cup according to SI...last night's game was historic !!!!  I can't recall watching a more exciting hockey game in a really long time.  I was in Pittsburgh back in December when the Flyers beat the Penguins...good showing by Flyers fans last night!

fuzzy wuzzy wrote:

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!

Angela, your Flyers are on fire! Gotta be the Philly Cheese! smile

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

42 (edited by Bill S 2012-04-18 13:28:24)

My love of NHL hockey took a serious jolt last night. Hockey fans throughout North America have probably already seen video of the vicious hit that Raffi Torres put on Marion Hossa. A hit like that has one purpose: Hurt the other player.
If you haven't seen it yet: Hossa passed the puck and took two strides...Torres was coming from the opposite direction and had Hossa lined up. Torres clearly left his feet, propelling himself into Hossa...shoulder to head. 4 referees and not one of them called a penalty. You cannot leave your feet when checking another player AND you cannot target the head.
You can see it here: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/4/17/2 … ks-coyotes
Hossa, one of the really great guys in the NHL (meaning liked and respected by everyone) was taken off the ice in a stretcher with his head immobilized.
Raffi Torres is a repeat offend and recently served a suspension for a very similar hit. In fact, exactly a year ago to the day, he elbowed Brent Seabrook in the head, resulting in a concussion that forced Seabrook to sit out a number of games. The NHL, in their infinite wisdom, decided that there was nothing wrong with that hit.
I love hockey, I love the checking aspect and find nothing wrong with utilizing that within the rules of the game. There is no place in sport for the likes of Raffi Torres. He is a headhunter and a dirty player. He needs to be suspended for a very long stretch. If the NHL does not stop this type of action, it will continue to go on and they will absolutely lose me as a fan.

Brendan Shanahan should be fired for his inconsistent enforcement of suspensions and they should bring someone in that will mete out justice so this kind of thing is stopped. Detroit fans saw how he enforces things when Shea Weber slammed Henrik Zetterburg's head into the glass...no suspension, minimal fine. The guy is a farce and I can't wait to see what he does with Torres.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm not happy and I knew I could vent here.

43 (edited by ahsmith33 2012-04-18 15:52:07)

I saw it this morning Bill, quite vicious and no doubt what the intention was. Looked like his head may have hit the ice, probably a concussion. If Hossa cannot come back, then Torres should be suspended for the remainder of this series if not the rest of the playoffs. No penalty?

what does that mean exactly, "suspended indefinitely" ? They could tell him it's OK to come back at some point in these playoffs?

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Money talks and publicity, for good or bad, counts. Pro contact sports are devolving to spectacles of pain. Toss another Christian to the lions, the masses will forget about the evils in the land. hmm
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Rick,

You sound exactly like my husband. He is equating all of what you said with the Gladiator era mentality.

RickB wrote:

Money talks and publicity, for good or bad, counts. Pro contact sports are devolving to spectacles of pain. Toss another Christian to the lions, the masses will forget about the evils in the land. hmm
Rick

ahsmith33 wrote:

I saw it this morning Bill, quite vicious and no doubt what the intention was. Looked like his head may have hit the ice, probably a concussion. If Hossa cannot come back, then Torres should be suspended for the remainder of this series if not the rest of the playoffs. No penalty?

what does that mean exactly, "suspended indefinitely" ? They could tell him it's OK to come back at some point in these playoffs?

IMO, Indefinitely means Brendan Shanahan doesn't know what to do, wants to interview Torres, see what condition Hossa is in, consult his Ouiji board and wait fir the dust (bowl) to clear before handing out what he deems will be justice. Seriously though, the discussion with Torres may be mandatory based on the CBA and the "indefinite" suspension at least acknowledges he's not playing tomorrow. Maybe Torres will tell him he was trying to avoid Hossa by jumping over him and just didn't jump high enough.

FuzzyWuzzy,

The Flyers were so hot, they MELTED on the ice. Talk about extremes-from the best to the worst game EVER!!

Sometimes I question WHY I get emotionally hooked to my Philly sports team ~ it can be so painful. lol

fuzzy wuzzy wrote:
Angela wrote:

Fuzzy ~ Is that the most AWESOME photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated with your goalie?

Your team will likely stand in the way of a few including my Flyers...but its kinda' interesting that the Penguins are favored to win the Stanley Cup according to SI...last night's game was historic !!!!  I can't recall watching a more exciting hockey game in a really long time.  I was in Pittsburgh back in December when the Flyers beat the Penguins...good showing by Flyers fans last night!

fuzzy wuzzy wrote:

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!

Angela, your Flyers are on fire! Gotta be the Philly Cheese! smile

I saw a bit of the Caps-Bruins game before bed, and I have to say that I was struck by the similarities with the Chelsea-Barca (soccer) game - the dominant side, the side exerting all the pressure, the side with all the shots on goal, winds up losing. Odd how things can go sometimes....

Sorry about the Hawks, Bill. sad

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

I saw a bit of the Caps-Bruins game before bed, and I have to say that I was struck by the similarities with the Chelsea-Barca (soccer) game - the dominant side, the side exerting all the pressure, the side with all the shots on goal, winds up losing. Odd how things can go sometimes....

Sorry about the Hawks, Bill. sad

It's not over yet, but it sure looks grim. The Hawks seem to play their best when their backs are against the wall...and they are pressed up against it now.
Totally outplayed Phoenix in the first two periods last night and went into the 3rd tied 0-0. They had a bunch of high quality chances, but didn't capitalize.
Obviously two evenly matched teams, since this is only the second time in NHL history where teams played 4 straight OT games.

saw where Neil Young was at the Blues-Sharks game last night, didn't help San Jose any.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

ahsmith33 wrote:

saw where Neil Young was at the Blues-Sharks game last night, didn't help San Jose any.

I heard he was a fan of the Blues...pun intended.

On behalf of Cathy's relatives, and for Angela....

GO FLYERS!

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Bill S wrote:
ahsmith33 wrote:

IMO, Indefinitely means Brendan Shanahan doesn't know what to do, wants to interview Torres, see what condition Hossa is in, consult his Ouiji board and wait fir the dust (bowl) to clear before handing out what he deems will be justice. Seriously though, the discussion with Torres may be mandatory based on the CBA and the "indefinite" suspension at least acknowledges he's not playing tomorrow. Maybe Torres will tell him he was trying to avoid Hossa by jumping over him and just didn't jump high enough.

Don't get me started on Shanny - last season in the playoffs Mike Richards slammed Tim Connolley head first into the boards and got a 2 minute minor. Earlier this season Milan Lucic layed out Ryan Miller and IIRC didn't even get a penalty. Shanahan turned a blind eye to both of those. Open season on Sabres is just fine with him it seems.

Major Tom to ground control...

Tom, I hope it's just my imagination, but Shanahan appears to have teams he doesn't like, based on some of his judgements. Last year Torres knocked out Brent Seabrook (literally unconscious) with an elbow to the head in the playoffs...no penalty, no fine, no suspension. Although I thought Andrew Shaw deserved a suspension for running Mike Smith, when he started behind the net there was room to get by along the boards...Smith leaned forward to shoot the puck and that space disappeared. Shaw had nowhere to go and (to me) it seemed clear that he wanted to avoid the hit...he went upright, not a checking position. I figured a game, but he gets three. Funny how Smith was fine as soon as they tossed Shaw from the game.
Seems Shanny doesn't like the Sabrrs or the Hawks!