Re: No Hockey Fans This Post Season???

Amsterhammer wrote:

Bringing this back up for the playoffs.

edit - adding rpic's post from the new topic he started.

edit 2 - I understand that the Black Hawks aren't likely to get very far, which kind of reduces my interest this year.

rpic wrote:

The NHL Playoffs. Nothin' like it.

The Blackhawks have had. Jekyl and Hyde season, leading the entire league early in the year and losing 9 straight at one time...and looking horrible doing it. I would not be money on them, but I wouldn't bet money against them either. Loads of talent on that team and they play best with their backs against the wall. I see them squeeking past Phoenix and then anything can happen...especially with Toews back. Lots of great series going on now...Nashville and Detroit, Pittsburgh and Philly the most compelling to me.

After reading the last couple posts, I don't know if I ever shared my Boundary Waters pics from last year. For anyone that's interested...here's a link to lots of pics, lots of fish:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/billsta14/ … 999782572/

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

The Wings stumbled into the post season, and now lost Helm for the balance.  We need some luck and some big efforts.  Sick of going out in the first round!  Time to bring the cup back home to Hockeytown.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Amsterhammer wrote:

edit 2 - I understand that the Black Hawks aren't likely to get very far, which kind of reduces my interest this year.

rpic wrote:

Hey Amster.....All those post are from last year. Was there a problem with a new NHL topic for this year?

rpic wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:

rpic wrote:

Hey Amster.....All those post are from last year. Was there a problem with a new NHL topic for this year?

We have one topic for each major sport. Since I knew that there was a hockey topic I added your post to the existing one. It wasn't as if you posted anything that would merit a separate topic, was it?  No offense intended, just keeping things tidy. wink

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Fuzzy ~ Is that the most AWESOME photo on the cover of Sports Illustrated with your goalie?

Your team will likely stand in the way of a few including my Flyers...but its kinda' interesting that the Penguins are favored to win the Stanley Cup according to SI...last night's game was historic !!!!  I can't recall watching a more exciting hockey game in a really long time.  I was in Pittsburgh back in December when the Flyers beat the Penguins...good showing by Flyers fans last night!

fuzzy wuzzy wrote:

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Amsterhammer wrote:
rpic wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:

We have one topic for each major sport. Since I knew that there was a hockey topic I added your post to the existing one. It wasn't as if you posted anything that would merit a separate topic, was it?  No offense intended, just keeping things tidy. wink

No worries. I just didnt think we were running out of space or anything like that.

Pulling for the SHARKS here, although the way they squeaked into the playoff getting past the first round would be something.

There are some great games going on right now. A huge melee in the Rangers v Senators game...two game misconducts already and NY leads 1-0. Bad blood sure to continue in periods 2 & 3.
In the meantime the Blues lead San Jose 1-0 after a San Jose defenseman shot it in his own net while trying to clear the puck.

Blackhawks v Coyotes in less than 1-1/2 hours.
Go Hawks!

I understand from Cathy that the Caps-Bruins game was so thrilling that she stayed tuned till the climax in double overtime. That's saying something because normally she wouldn't be watching at all.

Do 'game misconducts' mean you're excluded from the remainder of the game? Does it also entail any subsequent suspension or punishment?

You know I'm with you, Bill. wink

Go Hawks!

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:

I understand from Cathy that the Caps-Bruins game was so thrilling that she stayed tuned till the climax in double overtime. That's saying something because normally she wouldn't be watching at all.

Do 'game misconducts' mean you're excluded from the remainder of the game? Does it also entail any subsequent suspension or punishment?

Go Hawks!

George,
Game misconduct does indeed mean you're ejected for the remainder of the game. They also have a 10 minute misconduct, which is self explanatory.
I'm pretty sure the misconducts I saw in the Rangers game were the full game misconducts. Those usually result in fines.

Wow! What an exciting day for hockey! OT games...and double OT, last second goals, brawls and loads of penalties, game misconducts...most series tied and the omens that aren't are semi-surprises (LA over Vancouver and Flyers up 2-0 after being down big in both games)
This is why hockey is my favorite sport to watch!
Blackhawks score with 5.5 seconds left and win in OT to tie their series at 1-1. I'll go to sleep smiling tonight after a great day of hockey.

Bill S wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:

Go Hawks!

George,
Game misconduct does indeed mean you're ejected for the remainder of the game. They also have a 10 minute misconduct, which is self explanatory.
I'm pretty sure the misconducts I saw in the Rangers game were the full game misconducts. Those usually result in fines.

Ok, on the same theme, after the ridiculous scenes tonight during Pitts-Phil - what's the point of a 10 min penalty when there are only five mins left? Does the time carry over to the next game? Do all those expelled tonight - how many were?? - miss the next game, or can they all play? In soccer, a red card, or expulsion, automatically means you miss at least the next game, if not more than one.

Glad that the Flyers won, the Penguins seemed to me, as an entirely impartial viewer, more to blame for things going off. To be fair, I only saw the last two periods after being told about the mass brawls in the first period.

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:
Bill S wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:

Go Hawks!

George,

Ok, on the same theme, after the ridiculous scenes tonight during Pitts-Phil - what's the point of a 10 min penalty when there are only five mins left? Does the time carry over to the next game? Do all those expelled tonight - how many were?? - miss the next game, or can they all play? In soccer, a red card, or expulsion, automatically means you miss at least the next game, if not more than one.

Glad that the Flyers won, the Penguins seemed to me, as an entirely impartial viewer, more to blame for things going off. To be fair, I only saw the last two periods after being told about the mass brawls in the first period.

No carry over to the next game. If you receive a 10 minute penalty with 5 seconds left, you serve 5 seconds. Egregious penalties typically result in suspension for a game or two. The Blackhawks Duncan Keith was suspended for 5 games near the end of the regular season for elbowing Daniel Sedin. I was enormously surprised when Nashville's Shea Weber received no suspension after he grabbed a Detroit players head and slammed it into the glass. Very inconsistent enforcement IMO, although they are usually stricter on repeat offenders.

Bill S wrote:

Wow! What an exciting day for hockey! OT games...and double OT, last second goals, brawls and loads of penalties, game misconducts...most series tied and the omens that aren't are semi-surprises (LA over Vancouver and Flyers up 2-0 after being down big in both games)
This is why hockey is my favorite sport to watch!
Blackhawks score with 5.5 seconds left and win in OT to tie their series at 1-1. I'll go to sleep smiling tonight after a great day of hockey.

That Blackhawk game was amazing and a good reason why you never stop watching a game. Ya just never know what might happen.

Bill S wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:
Bill S wrote:

George,

No carry over to the next game. If you receive a 10 minute penalty with 5 seconds left, you serve 5 seconds. Egregious penalties typically result in suspension for a game or two. The Blackhawks Duncan Keith was suspended for 5 games near the end of the regular season for elbowing Daniel Sedin. I was enormously surprised when Nashville's Shea Weber received no suspension after he grabbed a Detroit players head and slammed it into the glass. Very inconsistent enforcement IMO, although they are usually stricter on repeat offenders.

The league has been VERY erratic with calls (2min vs 5min vs 10min) on flagrant penalties and suspensions. It a shame too because they get pretty much everything else spot on. No sport works the review to perfection like the NHL. They do, however, need to work on consistancy with penalties/suspensions.

The NHL, especially at playoff time is the best. IMO it's the best sport going.

The SJS / STLB game tomorrow (Monday) should be very interesting since it ended in a huge brawl.

Not really feelin' it with The Sharks though, they've been out played in both games and are lucky to be tied.

Vancouver on the brink....of ELIMINATION. Hehehehehe. And then I'll hate the Kings.

Hope the town doesn't go berserko.

am trying to keep up with it, but it's difficult between the baseball and basketball telecasts. My one team (sort of) the Hurricanes are gone, so I have no dog in the fight. I thought it was pretty weird that Carolina's goalie is Cam, and Carolina Panthers QB is also Cam. I guess I'll pull for Chicago, Wilbon likes them.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

36 (edited by Rocket 2012-04-16 21:15:40)

With Fuzzy Wuzzy as Rangers fan, so glad series just went 2-1 Rangers, home ice next game.  Lundquist looking very sharp (even on iPad radio)!  39 saves including great one with Ottawa's extra skater on the ice in the last minute with Anderson pulled for empty net.

Pengiuns Adams received a 1 game suspension and coach fined for yesterday's fiasco.  Brawl yes, but not "quite" a good ol ' "donnybrook"!

Go Rangers!

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”