Re: Beacon Theater NYC

Does anyone know where I can read the set lists for the shows?

Angelemerald wrote:

Page 6 of this thread.

Thanks.  Cool.  Is there a place where they are all assembled?  I would like to see a few of them.  I know some artists have a data base for all their set lists.

Lee wrote:
Angelemerald wrote:

Page 6 of this thread.

Great review Michael, you should write a book about Joe. wink

Michael wrote:

Beacon .... Definition  = (A person or thing that serves as a guide, inspiration, or warning)

Joe Bonamassa ..... Definition  =  (A person that serves as a guide and inspiration)
guide to those who believe in real live music and an inspiration to keep it alive for the future of Blues and Rock.

A little over 2 years has passed since the Joe Bonamassa Holy Grail show at The Royal Albert Hall  in London. Here he is in his home State playing at the equally impressive Beacon Theater on Broadway in New York City. He states that when he lived a few blocks up, he would walk past this grand theater often and dream of his seeing name on the marquee.

Well Joe Bonamassa stepped out onto the stage of The Beacon Theater at 8pm and set about parading his unique style of Raw Rock and Subtle Blues, but this was no normal full on electric Bonamassa assault, this was Supercharged to the max with the added energy of 3 very talented guests at the top of their game.
The show starts with the precision of an engine finely tuned on Slow Train, and it's full steam head for over 2 hours of Blues fused with Rock and Soul, Cradle Rock follows in raw fashion with it's jagged groove,then When The Fire Hits The Sea washes over you with that relentless riff,  that's a tremendous 3 song opening then out of the night flows the velvety Midight Blues Joe steps up to the microphone head slightly tilted at an angle as to caress the words to this atmosphere stealer, the audience watch in emotional silence as the guitar cries it's own lonely story, stunning, just stunning ... Up next is the expansive sound of Dust Bowl with it's Mid western theme and a rip snortin' solo to fade out into the distance, then there's no let up with The River making a very welcome return, slide guitar afficianados drop their jaws with glee as Joe tears it up dirty low and nasty.
Joe's first guest of the evening Beth Hart is welcomed with raptuous applause, they both pour their souls out on I'll Take Care Of You, a slow burning ember of a tune that captures the audience from the start and created a sumptous atmosphere with some tender soul, awesome. and the evening had just got rolling, next they brought some raw gospel blues to the room with Sinners Prayer, my lord it was religious and cleansing with Beth rasping her beliefs through tune, this huge musical extravaganza continues with the ever soul thieving Sloe Gin, it's intro takes you to a place thats other worldly, serene your heart is touched by it's violinesque beauty, the song just pours and pours emotion to you and you feel pure, standing ovation is compulsary .... You Better Watch Yourself comes out shuffling and the seats are rockin the whole place is alive and jumpin,  Oh Yeah wooo hooo.
The show just flows on through tunes like Steal Your Heart Away a bad a$$ slice of Zeppish Rock that floors with slabs of crunchy chords... a sweet change of pace as we move into the lonely realm of empty bar room heartache on Bird On A Wire, joe's vocals are hauntingly correct on this tale which showcase his soft subtle tone. The strong history laced  tune The Ballad Of John Henry follows in all it's glory with a chugging chunky riff to a real life fable of old America, Carmine Rojas hammers down the thickest layers of Bass Guitar imaginable resonating through everyone of the 3000 in attendance, Joe blends some wicked slide playing alongside the relentless rhythm, a show highlight for sure which leads us into the nights second guest Mr John Hiatt, the legendary American songbook writer and the pair provide us with John's very own Down Around My Place, a sad song about life's change put marvellously to word and then a very lively version of I Know A Place with a stomping midsection with smiling exchanges between Joe & John which connects to the audience, these excellent two songs give way to Blue And Evil, yes an evil riff moves along at a devilish pace and is driven by Tal Bergman's thunderous beat rockin' The Beacon.
Sloe Gin opens up the soul of the audience who are silenced by the sheer poetic beauty of this power gem, violin guitar notes soar and pierce the night which stun the listener.... truly epic and very fittting for this memorable night in Joe's career.
After the standing ovation subsides, Joe introduces his final guest for this momentous evening,
Paul Rodgers the classic vocalist who fronted Free, Bad Company and Queen too, Wow! he sounded so great and rocked it like old school, on Walk In My Shadows with it's funky rock groove and scorching solo the crowd lapped it up and more was to follow, the punchy Free tune Fire And Water tore out some Blues/Rock of the finest 70's calibre breed into a 2011 sure fire show stealer with screaming guitar to boot, Rodgers still has that magic rock god presence when you hear his voice, it is truly real rock tone vocals.
Mountain Time is Joe Bonamassa's very own signature tune and is another epic delivery in his repetoire which yet again can silence an audience with it's inbuilt arrangement of stunning beauty, and the guitar solo within tells it's own meandering tale of lonely life in the mountains,
a sublime finish to the main set, the band take their bows but soon return after continuous applause.
Joe alone with acoustic guitar plays his own classical blues piece Woke Up Dreaming, teasing the audience with every sinew of his skills, every spot on the 6 strings and fretboard are tested to their limits with 12 minutes of a stunning acoustic overture.
We arrive at the final song of the evening, a full frontal assault brutally delivered in the rawest fashion that doesn't let the pace let up til the very last note of this absolutely amazing show.

So The Beacon Theater has been given The Joe Bonamassa treatment just lke The Royal Albert Hall and folks i gotta tell you it was as just as magnificent in stature and performance.
Infact i would go as far to say it was Joe Bonamassa's greatest show ever .....
Roy Weisman (Joe's Manager), Len Bonamassa (Joe's Dad) Both in attendance and even Joe himself have said same, don't take their word, get the dvd when it comes out ......
Yep it's time for The Royal Albert Hall show to step aside, The Beacon Theater show is
Joe Bonamassa's new benchmark.

............. Michael

ps .... tired last night, so hopefully put it right  cool

221 (edited by Rocket 2011-11-21 16:08:42)

Actually, Michael IS a book about Joe...a living audible book about Joe!  cool

Rock ON & Writing Aloud On the Walls of Times, & Faithkeeping Kept,
Rocket

Hombre wrote:

Great review Michael, you should write a book about Joe. wink

Michael wrote:

Beacon .... Definition  = (A person or thing that serves as a guide, inspiration, or warning)

So The Beacon Theater has been given The Joe Bonamassa treatment just lke The Royal Albert Hall and folks i gotta tell you it was as just as magnificent in stature and performance.
Infact i would go as far to say it was Joe Bonamassa's greatest show ever .....
Roy Weisman (Joe's Manager), Len Bonamassa (Joe's Dad) Both in attendance and even Joe himself have said same, don't take their word, get the dvd when it comes out ......
Yep it's time for The Royal Albert Hall show to step aside, The Beacon Theater show is
Joe Bonamassa's new benchmark.

............. Michael

ps .... tired last night, so hopefully put it right  cool

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

OK Brother Rocket, Me and Jefe have laid down the gauntlet, let see and hear some New York (Fulton) Style Wordsmithing

That night i feel had to be honored in a grandiose effort post, It Was Truly Epic Worthy
3 songs in, we knew  wink , that guy behind us Joe just really slayed him so so bad, he walked out in emotional tears
i guess what made it so good was it reached in further than any other show, cmon bro let it flow

............. Michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Michael wrote:

OK Brother Rocket, Me and Jefe have laid down the gauntlet, let see and hear some New York (Fulton) Style Wordsmithing

That night i feel had to be honored in a grandiose effort post, It Was Truly Epic Worthy
3 songs in, we knew  wink , that guy behind us Joe just really slayed him so so bad, he walked out in emotional tears
i guess what made it so good was it reached in further than any other show, cmon bro let it flow

............. Michael

I will...
Jeff is going to do his royal treatment to the Florida show, let's let that blossom first...

They're swirling in my noggin in the meantime..better with age...

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Michael wrote:

............. Michael

It was mean't as a compliment. smile

Rocket wrote:
Michael wrote:

............. Michael

I will...
Jeff is going to do his royal treatment to the Florida show, let's let that blossom first...

They're swirling in my noggin in the meantime..better with age...

Rocket

I may not make it to the show.  I've got stuff at the house came up.  Hopefully Friday.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

226 (edited by Rocket 2011-11-22 16:18:19)

Hombre wrote:
Michael wrote:

............. Michael

It was mean't as a compliment. smile

He knows, he is just asking for me to spew a gusher...not sure I can do it justice at times...just dwelling on the cat sitting behind us is book worthy!  And Joe needs to know that. The Saturday show was off the solar system chart...

Rocket

Yeah! Considering the heavyweight wordsmith content of the audience, the output has been relatively paltry. One great one from an import though. I know, it's been so long you all forgot what happened and in what sequence.  wink
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

Yeah! Considering the heavyweight wordsmith content of the audience, the output has been relatively paltry. One great one from an import though. I know, it's been so long you all forgot what happened and in what sequence.  wink
Rick

Not so.  Nigh on a month's worth of residual showmanship from the Beacon's Peakin' are still playing on as we speak...The weekend was captured on brain cells AND DVD and that DVD is 7 months from release...so no hurry.  To those able to attend remaining US of A and 1 Canadian show before year's end....you best get out there before this phase passes (transforms) into history...  wink
If never released on DVD, we remember...remember it all.  A memorable show awaits you...

Rocket

Does anyone know what songs on the beacon theater Dvd will be the November 4 show and November 5 show are the both shows gonna be mixed in 1 cd

What night will each song take place

youngbluesman wrote:

Does anyone know what songs on the beacon theater Dvd will be the November 4 show and November 5 show are the both shows gonna be mixed in 1 cd

I would hope they'd at least release it as a 2-CD set, as they did for the CD version of the RAH concert.  In a perfect world, they'd go all Pearl Jam on us and release BOTH concerts as separate 2-CD sets...   big_smile

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

youngbluesman wrote:

Just an educated guess, based on being there both nights, I think most of - if not all - disc 1 of the DVD will be from Saturday's show. Looking at the bonus disc 2, "If Heartaches Were Nickels" was done on Friday only and "Woke Up Dreaming" was done Saturday only.

Thanks I was at Friday nights show

This is the track listing from the store and their description of what's on the DVD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Order Joe Bonamassa Beacon Theater Live In New York

Track order for DVD:

Disc 1

1:  72nd St. Subway Blues
2:  Slow Train
3:  Cradle Rock
4:  When The Fire Hits The Sea
5:  Midnight Blues
6:  Dust Bowl
7:  The River
8:  I'll Take Care Of You  (w/ Beth Hart)
9:  Sinner's Prayer  (w/ Beth Hart)
10:  You Better Watch Yourself
11:  Steal Your Heart Away
12:  Bird On A Wire
13:  Down Around My Place  (w/ John Hiatt)
14:  I Know A Place  (w/ John Hiatt)
15:  Blue And Evil
16:  Walk In My Shadows  (w/ Paul Rodgers)
17:  Fire And Water  (w/ Paul Rodgers)
18:  Mountain Time
19:  Young Man Blues

Disc 2: Bonus DVD

1.  If Heartaches Were Nickels
2.  Woke Up Dreaming
3.  A Friend Stops By
4.  A Busker's Tale
5.  Photo Gallery

Pretty much reads the same as The Saturday 5th November setlist.
All the 6 songs from Beth John & Paul are from the 5th too as they were reversed the night before
If Heartaches Were Nickels is from The Friday 4th November Show
With just The Ballad of John Henry & Sloe Gin being ommited unless they do appear in the extra's or Blu Ray.
So looking forward to receiving this DVD/BluRay
It Will Be Emotional Again

..................... Michael

PS ..... Hoping the busking sequence is long

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg