Re: Fan Manners

my ears seem to pick up that kind of talk don't know what it is but they seem to be near me all the time . maybe because they know i'm taping and they have some secret fantasy about being on tape lol ....i would be more then happy to tape them if there are no tunes playing .joe

Donna wrote:

cathysiler...I get what you're saying, and believe me, I understand about being moved by the music!  And you're right...a well-placed emphatic yell  can do a lot for releasing pent-up emotion, but like patty said, when Joe has to continually shush the crowd, I don't know...I just don't get why some people don't get it.   I'm thinking drinking has a lot to do w/ it, though. 

and joebeacon, I forgot to add that you overhear waaay better conversations than I do!  LOL...

I'm not one for bringing up a problem and not suggesting some solutions so....In my dreams..a "pretest" for admission..esp to a sold out Joe show, if you can't answer a few simple questions..stay out! Squirt guns, this I may try! I would prefer a Tasar but then I'd get locked up and miss the show. This next one won't go over well , but, a limit on drinks until after the show. If that fails, a trick I use now, if there's say 1 obnoxious drunk, I buy them shots to finish them off before the show. (I'm not very nice, am I?). Mostly, I want some of you guys to go to shows with me 'cause your some bad a##es!!!!

this is what i do i carry around a a squirt gun with lsd in it and if they get to out of hand i put them out for the night . or this one i have used at a show i bring a straw and some pea's and then i get behind them and shot them in the head they get the hint after a few shots . you have to practice first so you don't miss and hitthe wrong person .just draw a head on paper with a few other heads around it and aim for the head you want to hit .lol .........joe

cathysiler wrote:

I'm not one for bringing up a problem and not suggesting some solutions so....In my dreams..a "pretest" for admission..esp to a sold out Joe show, if you can't answer a few simple questions..stay out! Squirt guns, this I may try! I would prefer a Tasar but then I'd get locked up and miss the show. This next one won't go over well , but, a limit on drinks until after the show. If that fails, a trick I use now, if there's say 1 obnoxious drunk, I buy them shots to finish them off before the show. (I'm not very nice, am I?). Mostly, I want some of you guys to go to shows with me 'cause your some bad a##es!!!!

Great suggestions, joe and cathy!  (aside to joe:  does lsd come in liquid form?)  But really, I'm at the age now that I can confidently tap someone on the shoulder and tell them to shut the *&$% up!  Wouldn't quite work w/ the drunk people, though, would it, cathy?  And clubs certainly wouldn't go for your idea of a drink limit. That's where they make their money, right Jim?  Not on ticket price.   So, cathy, your shot theory has some merit!  Get the really obnoxious ones passed out before the show even starts!  I like it!

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

i have no problem with enthusiasm.  one thing i cant stand is when people want to have long coversations during live music.  i mean come on people this isnt the thursday night cover band at your local dive bar.  this goes for any band.  lsd does really come in liquid form, in fact it doesnt come in a solid form, just mediums the liquid may have been dropped on to.  and believe me that would be a very very effective way to get those drunks sobered up shut up and really feeling the music.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

liquid form it comes in i have done hundreds of liquid hits so i know it works lol....enjoying the band is one thing but screamming and talking through out the show is another . you ever notice those people that are talking the whole and not even watching the band or listening to them are  always the ones that you hear walking out of the show going that show was great . i like to go up to them and say how would you know you were talking the whole night . what kills me on a sold out show there are hardcore fans stuck outside with no ticket while these idiots are inside just don't get it . i think some of them it's there only night out so they act like a **** spend loads of money on 7 dollar beers, throw up in a piss soaked toilet and then say they had a great night .....what i think we should do is all of us travel from show to show wit hjoe and start stomping the **## out of all the drunks . i figure it will only take one summer tour to weed them all out ..................joe

Donna wrote:

Great suggestions, joe and cathy!  (aside to joe:  does lsd come in liquid form?)  But really, I'm at the age now that I can confidently tap someone on the shoulder and tell them to shut the *&$% up!  Wouldn't quite work w/ the drunk people, though, would it, cathy?  And clubs certainly wouldn't go for your idea of a drink limit. That's where they make their money, right Jim?  Not on ticket price.   So, cathy, your shot theory has some merit!  Get the really obnoxious ones passed out before the show even starts!  I like it!

Ok Ok, now I know I love poundin em wheh I go gigging, only if I'm not driving ( ya, your right I've drove drunk more than once, but I've mellowed alot, I swear! ). Having said that, I always know my spots when to yell out, just like Jane said. The problem I have are the people who just dont care period, the've bought their ticket and nobody is going to tell them what to do. My love for music takes me to fantasy land, I dont have to worry about nothing, mortgages, cars, visa bills, the kids. It is my time to trip, and I'm thinking it's probably true with most of us. You know what the worst time of the gig is, when I got to leave, dont want to, dont want to go back to the real world. Having said that, it's probably the biggest reason I get so angry at the ones that interupt my fantasy. If I had my way, I'd go giggin nearly everynight, hell, I ought to buy a night club, yall want in (LOL). Anyways, I know what you are all saying, we just have to do the best we can I guess.

Shred

P.S.......I'm a mellow drunk, no matter what I look like, I wont kick your ****!

Dear, dear Jane....I've been with you and it's about the music! You're right there and you pay attention. How drunk you want to be is your choice. No problem, I'll be taking a shower after anyway, what's a little beer? LOL But you know the kind of people we're talking about. And I agree with Joe Beacon, so many true fans don't get in. For me the primary offenders are what Roy calls Bimbos and Oblivious drunks. To see a performer live is a privilege, esp. a world traveler like Joe. And, as has been posted re:Lowell George, you never know when it's a last performance. You know I'm not exactly quiet myself!! It's all about the timing..I'm ready to go anywhere and anytime with you my friend!!!! Cathy  Oh, and I'll drive.....

Funny story to pass along to you guys.  Before I knew anything about Joe, we went down to N. Myrtle Beach about in 2000 to see Kenny Wayne at the HOB.  We had great seats in the balcony on the side over looking the stage.  We were in the second row.  Well, right in front of us was this guy and girl, and the guy kept getting drunker and drunker and drunker.  He was a goofy drunk and he was gushing all over his girl friend, during the show.  Even before KWS took the stage the girl tells us, while he was getting another drink, that he was an animal, I guess in a good way. 

Anyways, after a while he decides to kiss her feet, they were propped up on the rail.  He goes for it, remember he is wasted, and she moves her feet when she saw him coming in.  His opened mouth went right into the rail, teeth and all.  We all cracked up and he kinda laughed too, but with a strange smile.  It was not long after that they left.   It is strange what people will pay good money to do at a show!

Music is good for the Soul...

David A. You probably would not recognize Englewood it’s not that little town anymore. 
Saw Joe early this year in Tampa, Jacksonville and West Palm. Will be going in in November also.

Ok my story. It just happen in Hagerstown. We were to the left of the stage in front of Joe. Some time into the show this guy comes out of nowhere and just starts screaming at the top of his lungs. At first its cool this guys having a good time then it doesn’t stop and people start asking him to stop. But he will not stop. Finally his wife/girlfriend says something to him and we don’t hear a peep out of him the rest of the show. Sure wish I heard what she said.

Bill

Jane H. wrote:

maybe i will come up with different signs that say
"Joe I liked that part"
or "killer intro dude"
and stuff like that and i'll hold them up - wait then nobody can see.
nevermind

Jane...they could be small signs, on little sticks,  like the numbered circles that you see at auctions!  Although I think that would be kinda funny, and may work if you have laryngitis or something, that really would be a rather sterile way to show appreciation, wouldn't it?   Aw heck, stick w/ the "well-placed" whoop!

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

We could hold up "QUIET" signs like they do at the golf tournaments - they seem to work there!

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind.  Mick Jagger

so am i, i'm the quietest guy i know . i never speak my mind .lol

BluesMan wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

so they don't get Roy the Joe B. Beat team leader after them,lol

Now Jane,

I'm a very quiet compassionate man. Kind of the wall flower type at a party. I'm sure my wife would vouch for that................................................YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!........LOL!!!!!!

Since this thread has reached page three, I feel compelled to weigh in with my thoughts, which are gonna be redundant:
Talking during any songs....bad
Whistling during any songs....bad
Hooting, Hollering during any songs....bad
Any of the above between/after songs....very good (& expected)
Premature cheering, hooting, hollering at the tail end of the song (sorta like cheering at the baseball game and drowning out "home of the brave" at the end of the Star Spangled Banner)...not great, but most people do it (myself included)
Pounding a few brews during the show...good, as long as you're not too sloppy

Finally, I'll share one story that sorta contradicts the above a bit:
The second time I saw Joe play was at Shank Hall in January of 2005. He's playing Blues Deluxe and doesn't make it past the opening line "I don't know too much about love...", when he's interrupted by a loud female voice in the crowd "Me neither"! Well, Joe stops playing and starts laughing, then says "yeah, they don't teach that sh** in a book".
Bad manners? Maybe, but I got a big laugh out of it, and it seemed like Joe did too.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"