Topic: Fan Manners

I went to a Blues event yesterday in Media Pa. There were multiple venues inside and out. Great bands (Lil'Ed and the Imperials are a must see). Anyway, the inside venues were small bars. There were way too many people talking and horseing around during the performances. I don't have an answer but it seems sooo disrespectful! Walter Trout's bass player, Rick, played with a local band. When we talked after he said the fans in Europe are so different. He said they are there for the music and really listen. Are we just a crass nation? Other than asking people to be quiet, what do you do?           Cathy

Re: Fan Manners

Thank you a million for the post! I am so damn tired of people who think it is just a social event, go home, I dont want you there, I dont like you. I brought a couple friends with me to see Joe in Nev., they missed 3 songs gambling, and when they got back , they were acting the fool. I had to stop my brother from breaking out a can of whip ****, we were pissed! Went to see E.C., the same thing, 2 women behind us were laughing and jawing most of the time, those tix were 135 bones each too!

You got me all fired up sorry, it is almost noon time, that is heineken time, I'll be ok shortly (LOL)

Shred

P.S......I'm moving to Europe!

i'm a freak about people talking during the shows . they seem to think they are the only ones in the theater and the band is only playing for them . everyone around them has payed good money to see the bands i don't care if you payed 5 dollars for the ticket it might be all you can afford and the only show you can make it to and it sucks that there are people who will be talking to a friend getting on there cell phone while the music is blasting like they could hear anything thats why they make a lobby go out there and jerk off for all i care just don't do it inside the theater when the music is on and there are other people around you . i have told many people to shut up and go to the lobby that i didn't pay money to hear them talk about there kids there work there small penis or who they blew before the show . so if your one of the loud mouths at a show stay home the point of music is to shut your mouth and listen it's the same as the jazz , classical music ect. the people there have respect they keep there mouth shut and hold of on the clapping untill the piece of music is over . there is no reason to yell the artist name out when he is playing do you think he will stop in the middle of the song and ask you what you want . or there is no reason to yell when the artist is playing real low put the muzzel on and open your ears up .well i think i made my point if i didn't feel free to let me know and i will try to do a better job wright how i feel .......later joe

Its not just at music shows,same holds true for movies, theater or any event nowadays. I dont understand theres plenty of time and places to go flap their gums ,dont do it while the entertainment is going on.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Whoo boy, don't get me stated about rude people.

We saw Joe at the New Lafeyette Club in Bloomington last Feb. We got there late and by that point people had been drinking for a couple of hours (because there was an opening act). We got stuck next to these people, obviously drunk, who spent the entire concert in a LOUD conversation about where they were going to go next to party, who they were going to meet, who was dating who, etc. Everything but watching the MOST AWESOME GUITARIST ON THE PLANET!!! right in front of their drunken faces. That's why I prefer theatres to clubs. Yes, you lose the ambience of a club but you also lose the drunks and obnoxious people who come for reasons other than seeing the show.

Ok, I guess I got started.

I'm just saying.

I could write a book about noisy people at concerts - EVERYTIME I go to a show - doesn't matter if it's a bar or arena SOMEONE is talking throughout the whole thing - recently saw Eric Clapton - playing Wonderful Tonight - two guy behind us talking nonstop.  Jeff Beck - two guys behind us on cell phones....and when you have assigned seats it's impossible to move.  If we go to a concert and no one bothers us, it's like a miracle.  Just venting!  Jaci

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind.  Mick Jagger

I was at the KWS concert at the Cleveland HOB last summer and 2 gals behind me were talking about their tomato plants!  I turned around and told them I'd buy them each a 5 gallon jug of Miracle Grow if they would just shut up! 

And I'm w/ you Joebeacon...I don't get why people have to yell out the artist's name, or worse yet, act like they're at a religious revival , "Amen!  Play it, brutha'! 
At one Joe show, this male fan, beer in one hand, kept tapping the stage w/ his other hand, yelling..."right here, Joe...right here, Joe..."  I was ready to give it to him "right there!"

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

I also find it odd that usually those doing all the talking are the ones clapping and cheering the loudest - I always wonder how they could be such a great fan and not shut up long enough to hear the music.

Donna wrote:

I was at the KWS concert at the Cleveland HOB last summer and 2 gals behind me were talking about their tomato plants!  I turned around and told them I'd buy them each a 5 gallon jug of Miracle Grow if they would just shut up!

LOL, Donna.  I love it.  You could give them a choice: shut up and get a jug of Miracle Grow, or they'll be pushing up daisies.

Oh Dear...Donna, I have to confess to being the amen type on occasion. It stems from the interactive nature of many Blues acts. It is a Sunday- go- to- meeting kind of thing. Timing is everything. A pause at the end of a riff or drum solo for applause. At least it shows you're paying attention. Now, I don't drink but I am a reflex wow , yeah, etc, type, don't think it's curable! LOL But I can say Carl was willing to stand by me in Hagerstown after the KWS show, so it can't be too bad....right?.....

My heart always goes out to Joe when he has to SSHH the crowd during the quieter moments........

One of my most memorable "disturbed" moments was during Paul McCartney concert.  I couldn't figure out why my sister kept getting closer and closer to me (I love her and all, but she was like really close)...the couple next to her had been drinking & talking the whole concert, up and down, up and down, up and down.  I looked over and the girl was 3 quarters on my sister's seat....so I whispered in my sisters ear and we gave a heave- ho in the opposite direction and put her almost in her boyfriend's lap.........and the most disgusting was at an outdoor Lynyrd Skynyrd concert.....don't need to say anymore......beyond rowdy crowd comes with the ticket.

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

cathysiler...I get what you're saying, and believe me, I understand about being moved by the music!  And you're right...a well-placed emphatic yell  can do a lot for releasing pent-up emotion, but like patty said, when Joe has to continually shush the crowd, I don't know...I just don't get why some people don't get it.   I'm thinking drinking has a lot to do w/ it, though. 

and joebeacon, I forgot to add that you overhear waaay better conversations than I do!  LOL...

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

Well it's obvious were all cut from the same cloth on the forum, I was beginning to think I might need therapy for my addiction to music!

Shred

Wow,  what a flame of a subject.  I am with everybody on this one.  I remember seeing Buddy Guy in Atlanta, and he was trying to get 3,000 people to be quite while he was hitting some soft notes.  Needless to say when it gets quite, that is when the drunks like to yell, yahooooo.  Buddy stops and says "shut the f*** up, I'm trying to play some music up here".  Well it worked. 

It seems that some people don't get out very much and when they do they have to get blistered and yell.  Sometimes, just turning around and giving a glare/stare will work...

Music is good for the Soul...

Roy - I love your story - those were Jeff's exact words to the people behind us talking on cell phones at the Jeff Beck concert!  It worked for a few songs but then they started up again.  There's always someone to drive us crazy.

Shredit wrote:

Well it's obvious were all cut from the same cloth on the forum, I was beginning to think I might need therapy for my addiction to music!

Shred

My name is Gary and I am a musichaulic

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

It sounds like we all have a story to tell.

gibson335 wrote:

It sounds like we all have a story to tell.

Hey gibson335, I see you are in Venice, we lived in Englewood for about a year many moons ago...  Looks like Joe has at least one scheduled date in Fla. this year...

Music is good for the Soul...