Re: The impossible combination??

Don't forget- he's also running multiple amps in stereo- that really attributes to his wall of sound and the thickness of the tone...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum although I have been "lurking" for quite awhile.  Have to say compared to other web forums yall are pretty squared away and have good advice/information to offer on guitar topics...atleast I appreciate the sincerity anyway.

I think the last post by kwsjb1238 touches on a critical element to achieving the sound yall are talking about.  Alot of times guys are running multiple amps at the same time.  Especially when recording but often times live as well.   SRV was known as a "Fender" guy but most of his recordings were done with Fenders, Marshalls, and various others all at the same time.   

It would be nice if we could all do that but I suspect most of us don't have roadies so lugging one amp around is plenty.  And remember as long as your playing with good gear (tube amps) your always your own worst critic when it comes to "tone".    If you don't believe me, ask your wife or girlfriend or even your drummer if your "tone" sounded ok.  They'll look at you with some confused expression and say "Yeah its great, when are yall/we gonna play Sweet Home Alabama".  But half the fun is searching for that sound we all hear in our heads but can never seem to duplicate.

Anyway lots of good info here from all of you...I enjoy reading it.

Kazan01 wrote:

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum although I have been "lurking" for quite awhile.  Have to say compared to other web forums yall are pretty squared away and have good advice/information to offer on guitar topics...atleast I appreciate the sincerity anyway.

I think the last post by kwsjb1238 touches on a critical element to achieving the sound yall are talking about.  Alot of times guys are running multiple amps at the same time.  Especially when recording but often times live as well.   SRV was known as a "Fender" guy but most of his recordings were done with Fenders, Marshalls, and various others all at the same time.   

It would be nice if we could all do that but I suspect most of us don't have roadies so lugging one amp around is plenty.  And remember as long as your playing with good gear (tube amps) your always your own worst critic when it comes to "tone".    If you don't believe me, ask your wife or girlfriend or even your drummer if your "tone" sounded ok.  They'll look at you with some confused expression and say "Yeah its great, when are yall/we gonna play Sweet Home Alabama".  But half the fun is searching for that sound we all hear in our heads but can never seem to duplicate.

Anyway lots of good info here from all of you...I enjoy reading it.

Welcome to the forum!  The most important part of SRV's sound (except for the man himself) is his use of multiple amps- that's how his tone is so thick... he used some Fender Super Reverbs, a couple of Dumble Steel Slingers, and some Marshalls together and used a Tube Screamer in front of them to get some more volume and a little breakup... the only way most people can get their "ultimate sound" is through use of multiple amps... Just remember that when you're looking for your perfect tone- it's almost impossible to come by...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I just bought a Radial Tonebone (dig that) ABY Switchbone box- very cool. It's a Class A circuit. In our rehersal space I set up the plexi and a Line 6 Flextone, which might be lacking in some tonal qualities at volume but as a second amp running dry, it sounded cool. Made for a much bigger sound, particularly as the single guitarist. it covers more air. Nice box for $200. I can pop the L6 in and out, the TB has a ground lift so no hum, and a boost. I set it to 10db which was way too loud for solos (I just now occured to me I can also set it for 5), but it is a really nice addition.
It also has a pickup load emulator- never heard of that before- but it is a tiny pot that allows you adjust the load on the pick ups that changes when you add a second amp.
The little bugger is heavy too.
Jim

Hello,

first I'd like to thank everybody for all the replies to my question,great!!

My verdict is that the kind of tone JB has can not be (or hardly) be reproduced at home but for me, I'm not looking for JB tone exactly, therefore I do not have the right technique and fingers...(and equipment) but an upgrade of my sound can be possible.

So, next week I'm heading to my local shop and I'm gonna try out some Marshalls, especially the new ModernVintage for Marshall (I like to 50W combo).

Again, thank you all,

Jurgen

Jurgen-
Das wird bestimmt ein ganz schone Anfang.
Tschuss
Jim