Re: Super Group CD with Joe

It's like putting a guitar through an overdrive pedal or box. It pushes the amp past it's normal limits creating a distorted sound but idealy a "good" distorted sound.

Listen to DP In Rock or Made in Japan. There is plenty of overdriven Hammond on those two records. It's a killer sound and one you don't hear much anymore. There aren't many of these Hammonds around anymore. They are vintage gear. They play it through a Leslie which has a cylindrical shaped part that spins creating it's unique sound. I'm no keyboard expert by any means. Some others may have more insight.

182 (edited by CarljMD 2010-01-16 20:22:25)

Forever Young wrote:

It's like putting a guitar through an overdrive pedal or box. It pushes the amp past it's normal limits creating a distorted sound but idealy a "good" distorted sound.

Listen to DP In Rock or Made in Japan. There is plenty of overdriven Hammond on those two records. It's a killer sound and one you don't hear much anymore. There aren't many of these Hammonds around anymore. They are vintage gear. They play it through a Leslie which has a cylindrical shaped part that spins creating it's unique sound. I'm no keyboard expert by any means. Some others may have more insight.

Listen carefully to the organ into to "Lazy" from Made in Japan....you can hear sort of a distorted overtone to some of the keyboard notes.

For those of you unfamiliar with Derek Sherinian, he is an AMAZING keyboard player, did a few years with Dream Theater, has played with Alice Cooper's band and is currently touring with Billy Idol.   Those of you who don't have disdain for "shredding" guitarists should check out some of his "Planet X" project CD's, featuring Australian phenom Bret Garsed (think Alan Holdsworth), and Tony MacAlpine, who toured for some time as keyboard/2nd guitar with Steve Vai.  Many of you probably wouldn't like it, but I am sure some of you would.

Here's a little sample.....but he can do lots of different stuff well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUGrMXXu … re=related

I am personally STOKED about this project.

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

CarljMD wrote:
Forever Young wrote:

Listen carefully to the organ into to "Lazy" from Made in Japan....you can hear sort of a distorted overtone to some of the keyboard notes.

For those of you unfamiliar with Derek Sherinian, he is an AMAZING keyboard player, did a few years with Dream Theater, has played with Alice Cooper's band and is currently touring with Billy Idol.   Those of you who don't have disdain for "shredding" guitarists should check out some of his "Planet X" project CD's, featuring Australian phenom Bret Garsed (think Alan Holdsworth), and Tony MacAlpine, who toured for some time as keyboard/2nd guitar with Steve Vai.  Many of you probably wouldn't like it, but I am sure some of you would.

CarljMD

Yea because Jon Lord was a beast and used a Marshall stack for his Hammond instead of the famous Leslie cab.... hence the overdriven keys.

Ben

Jason talking about what he has been up to on a video interview. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=133503

GoT MuLe 31788 wrote:
CarljMD wrote:
Forever Young wrote:

CarljMD

Hey! The guy's wearing a Sopranos T shirt ..... I'm liking him already!
~ Brack ~ tongue

Yea because Jon Lord was a beast and used a Marshall stack for his Hammond instead of the famous Leslie cab.... hence the overdriven keys.

Ben

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

That sure is a wild sound he gets out of that keyboard. Fingers flying.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

187 (edited by Rocket 2010-01-17 03:59:16)

CarljMD wrote:
Forever Young wrote:

CarljMD

Speaking of Allan Holdsworth Carl, Allan Holdsworth,Tony Levin, Pat Mastellotto, & Terry Bozzio have started touring together. 

Back to THIS group...I also am bleepin' stoked.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

I wonder if they are going to play Arrowhead Credit Union (minor league baseball) Park??? Oh yeah, it's San Bernardino, kind of like leaving the "r" out of February when you say it, but not spelling it...Or just say San Berdoo as we locals say wink

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

188 (edited by ayersdj 2010-01-17 06:10:41)

This really would be a super group, and I am really looking forward to hearing the CD.  However, a bit of anxiety as a long-time follower of Joe and his shows back to the Eric/Kenny days.   What does this mean for Rick, Carmine and Bogie, and the old style of very personal, come-out-and-talk-to-fans-and-sign-stuff after that we've known for years from Joe at his shows?  What's going to happen to that fine blue-rock style?  Is Joe going to abandon his solo work and touring with the old gang to work with Black Country?  Guess we'll see.

I very seriously doubt that Joe is going to stop being a solo artist. Now, he might not be releasing an album every year, but I could see him being a Warren Haynes/Derek Trucks type, playing in different bands while still having a solo career. It can be done. smile

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Deezer wrote:

I very seriously doubt that Joe is going to stop being a solo artist. Now, he might not be releasing an album every year, but I could see him being a Warren Haynes/Derek Trucks type, playing in different bands while still having a solo career. It can be done. smile

I'm planning on seeing him with my wife in Glenside PA (outside Philly) on April 24.  (Unless the show sells out before I can raise the $$$ -- it's already about half sold.)  Anyway, I guess I'll see then what if any changes this means for his solo shows.

I can almost guarantee you that if Joe has shows booked, they will be played.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Not being a fan of Glenn Hughes, I have been curious to what this new project may be like. I checked out this YouTube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsN_kJVR-YI

I think it's going to be one of those things that you are either going to love or hate. I do think that this "SuperGroup" moniker is a bit of a stretch.

Best of luck to all. Including Carmine, Rick and Bogie,
Thraak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfldtt7wxqM

No matter how far you try to push the envelope, it remains stationery

I personally think that the worry about Joe's solo activities is just a bit pointless. roll

I think you will find that Black Country is just a side project. Joe has described Carmine, Bogie & Rick as a "Band of Brothers" and I am sure that will remain so. cool

Why can't Joe do something different without starting up speculation about the end of his solo endeavours; come on guys lighten up, it's what musicians do to stay fresh and try out things that might not suit their 'normal' work direction.

ayersdj wrote:

This really would be a super group, and I am really looking forward to hearing the CD.  However, a bit of anxiety as a long-time follower of Joe and his shows back to the Eric/Kenny days.   What does this mean for Rick, Carmine and Bogie, and the old style of very personal, come-out-and-talk-to-fans-and-sign-stuff after that we've known for years from Joe at his shows?  What's going to happen to that fine blue-rock style?  Is Joe going to abandon his solo work and touring with the old gang to work with Black Country?  Guess we'll see.

I think this is what most of us are wondering about...

I hope Joe can chime in and ease our anxiety by telling us his plans for the future...

Anxiety? I think thats stretching a bit. JB does over 200 shows a year, he's released an album every year for the past X years or so.
He has and is on a constant cycle of Tour and more tour, record, tour and more tour. He's done us proud giving us endless product and performance and maintained and incredibe quality throughout.
The worst thing that could happen to an artist is to start getting into a same old, same old routine, despite unflagging enthusiasm. This sort of collaboration with new musicians provides new impetus to that enthusiasm.

There is no need for any anxiety. This a parallel diversion. As Deezer has said, commitments will be met, before any schedules are cleared for a new project. Don't forget this as come together quickly. Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonham have solo careers too. There will be a period before any product from this combo is produced, released and ready to tour - if they want to.

In the meantime maybe there will some cross over. Embrace it and enjoy. I mean if he was to join Mariah Carey's backing back I would be concerned but this........no way. Lets keep it real people.

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Joe has put a lot of effort in his solo project to get to where he is today with it. What he has built is something you don't walk away from. It has allowed him to take a chance on something like this where he can cut loose a bit and experiment.

If there is a demand for them to tour then they might tour. How much time is devoted to this project no one can say. I like the buzz it is creating speculating on who, what and when of this side project is good for all parties.

If it helps open Joe up to a broader audience in other regions and genre's then it helps the Joe Bonamassa Band too.

In his comments regarding Black Country, Kevin Shirley said to watch the date March 17. So far this is listed as just Joe Bonamassa:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B004 … norcatid=4