Topic: Entry Level Advice

It's been over 25 years since I last touched a guitar. I never was much good and didn't practice enough to get any better, so I gave it up.
So anyway, I got this itch to start playing and it won't go away....so at the ripe age of 50, I find myself in the market for a guitar. My main interests are blues/rock.
I don't want to spend a ton of cash at this point, but don't want to buy crap either. I started looking at prices/reviews, and it seems like a Standard (Mexican) Strat gives a pretty good "bang for the buck". With a Fender 25R Frontman amp, I'm in for under $600, which is the price range I had in mind.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated, including thoughts on pick-up options (single coil vs. the HSS) and amps.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

2 (edited by Jess 2006-12-31 19:17:21)

Re: Entry Level Advice

Take a look at the Fender Blues Junior amp, maybe even try to find one secondhand. Its a small tube amp and would be great for your purposes, would sound a ton better than the Frontman and be louder. Even if you have to spend a bit more to buy it I really recommend you should, the sound quality is so much better with a tube amp and it will help you to get that blues tone very easily! All I know is that once you start getting into it the Frontman's tone will not satisfy you.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

3 (edited by gsj 2007-01-01 11:17:56)

Good advice Jess. if the budget doesn't run to the Blues Jnr then check out a Fender Pro Jnr, a Laney LC15R or even the Epiphone valve amps. All not bad for the money and fairly low powered for home use. If you can spend a little more than go for a Cornell Romany or Romany Plus. As for the guitar I'd suggest a used Japanese 50's or 60's reissue Strat or a Mexican Classic series instead of the Mex Std. They're just that bit nicer to play. Good luck.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Maybe it's worth it to check out Vox's Valvetronix range of amps. I own a AD15VT (15 watt) amp which i'm really satisfied with. It's got some great presets modelled after well known amps. With that you can easily switch from a roaring marshall sound to a bluesy BB King sound etc. It's also got some good onboard effects(reverb, chorus, compression, tremolo, flanger etc.) which helps a lot for recreating specific sounds, as well as saving some money on stompboxes wink
And the guitar...well it really depends on whose sounds you like and whichever model that feels comfortable to you. Indeed the mexican strats should be affordable. If you're going for a mexican one then maybe you could see if they still sell the 60th anniversary standard model somewhere, which has texmex pickups instead of the usual standard ones. The texmex pickups are comparable to the texas specials which are used in Stevie Ray Vaughn's signature strat, could be interesting if you're after that sound. http://www.fender.com/products/search.p … 0146002355
With the vox amp I bought a fender lite ash strat http://www.fender.com/products/search.p … 0265002521 it's korean made but it has some powerfull seymour duncan pickups in it and it is made out of quality woods.
My total for that package was around 600-700 euro's but I wouldnt know what the prices are like in the US.

We have just one world, but we live in different ones.

Second on blues junior, bang for buck thing.  Look on Craigslist for deals locally, you will see them quick.  Also, get on Gear Page to get you up to speed on everything out there.  I'd buy a mex strat or epiphone locally as they all match musicians friend prices; but you can look it over; fit, feel, neck, ect.  I'll go thru like 20-30 epips at local stores before I find one acceptable; strats seem more uniform but really look necks over.   I have a couple strats and have changed to S.D. surfer pups, Callaham bridge, LSR nuts (to play around with different strings), and I really like those Planet Waves tuners; also luv them snake oils.  Can't figure how fender sells their stuff with standard single coils.   

My 14 year old wanted geetar 2 years back; I had mustang/vibrolux reverb late 60's.  Hadn't played in all that time.  So I bought him amer strat, TRRI custom 15; he played for a month or so and didn't sound like Jeff Beck, gave up; too immature I think.   Six months later, I picked it up, started doin cowboy chords again, making wifey sing, ha  ha.   Got  a few dvd's (Greg Koch, Johnny A, Jim Weider, Ronnie Earl, bunch of them out there), and Hal Leonard SRV  Lightnin Blues 2nd edit & Edly's Music Theory for Practical People 2nd edit.  Will get ya goin quick.  THen you can go back to Robert Johnson, T-bone, Hooker, O Rush, freddy King, on and on.  GET WITH other players, do more good than anything. 

Ya know, I play an hour or so in morn and again before go to bed; boy I wish would have connected as a kid many years back.  Quick got a couple fender amps, and bought a Bruno 35 Cowtipper, couple strats and gettin ready to order a lentz.  Playin makes one feel so good.  And ya know, best thing about it all just playin myself, got me into Bonamassa, Duarte, Trout, and all the great music been missin for all these years.

I have guitar friends that are forever buying selling geetars like other friends buy/sale guns as they get tired of them.  Usually these guitars are in nice shape and got all the probs worked out, smooth as silk; check those out.  My 2 cents.

I think Ramonster is missing the point...sorry to say. A Vox Valvetronix, as good as it is, will never sound like a good valve amp. And the Tex/Mex pickups that you mention are comparable to Jimmie Vaughan's signature model. The SRV uses Texas Specials which are hotter.

it depends if you want to gig or if you want to play out places.

Line 6 amps have a lot of bang for buck because of all the different simulation sounds.  Even Joe used one as a back up to his vintage twin reverbs...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

it depends if you want to gig or if you want to play out places.

Line 6 amps have a lot of bang for buck because of all the different simulation sounds.  Even Joe used one as a back up to his vintage twin reverbs...

The Vetta II is a very cool amp- I've played around with it in guitar stores on numerous occasions- it's probably one of the best modeling amps out there and it's pretty cool that you can put two models on at once... although, it is about $1500...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Well it's just that I'm very satisfied with the Valvetronix amp. It's quite versatile for an entry level amp. The TexMex pickups are indeed different from the Texas Specials, but I read some reviews where people actually preferred em over the Texas Specials, even for getting an SRV sound. I only played the 60th anniversary one in the shop though, never played the SRV strat, so sorry for my lack of experience there wink
You might also try some epiphone les pauls too if you're more into the thicker sound of humbuckers.
Just make sure you always try the gear yourself and pick what feels and sounds good to you, as different people have different opinions.

We have just one world, but we live in different ones.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm certainly gonna spend a bit more on an amp, and I'll have to handle a few guitars before I decide.
My problem right now is, with my current lack of skills, it's sorta like trying to pick out a sports car without ever shifting into second gear...I know what's comfortable and what looks good, but I can't tell what's under the hood.
I guess I'll hold off on buying the Mazerati until I can open it up a bit.

If you listen very closely you can actually tell the difference between single coil Fenders and humbucker type Gibsons. You probably have the ability because you have listened to so much music (Joe etc.). Yes, I know that you can purchase humbucker Fenders and hybrids of each manufacturer. Many great guitarists can mix and match amps to produce the sound "in theirs ears" and produce great sounding Cd's etc. Much recorded sound that you have heard and "liked" is quite complicated and beyond the realm of a hobbiest. The production engineer is quite unappreciated and humble to say the least. So now you wonder my thoughts.

Pick a guitar you want to play. My first and only guitar is non-tremolo (Tele).
Pick an amp you can crank (tube 15-40 watts)
Get a dirty pedal that overdrives (your choice)

\

I guess the answer to the age old question of "what's the best amp or guitar?" is...the one that you own and enjoy playing. Nothing wrong with Valvetronix Ramonster..as you rightly say...opinions differ.

Ramonster wrote:

Well it's just that I'm very satisfied with the Valvetronix amp. It's quite versatile for an entry level amp. The TexMex pickups are indeed different from the Texas Specials, but I read some reviews where people actually preferred em over the Texas Specials, even for getting an SRV sound. I only played the 60th anniversary one in the shop though, never played the SRV strat, so sorry for my lack of experience there wink
You might also try some epiphone les pauls too if you're more into the thicker sound of humbuckers.
Just make sure you always try the gear yourself and pick what feels and sounds good to you, as different people have different opinions.

Pick up a nice, well maintained 70's era Fender Champ (all tube) amp.  They should still be under $300.00 bucks.  Great Fender clean tone!  Pick up a 'Tube Screamer' type pedal for the overdrive (blues to rock) and you're all set.  MUCH, MUCH better tone than solid state amps or modelers will give you!  I used this set up when I got back into playing after a long layoff (I'm 45) to save some cash.  I've 'upgraded' a bit since, but I STILL find this combination appealing.

Russ B.

Amen! Modeling amps are cool if you are in a cover band and need quick, reasonable facsimiles of a wide variety of tones. Make no mistake, they can sound really good. The problem is that modeling amps, at least to my knowledge, do not deliver touch dynamics and tube compression which is crucial for playing blues. Along with the Blues Junior you might look at the Crate Palamino or V-Series which offer all tube, Class A tone for a very modest price for 20 watts or less.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

my problem with amps is that Id rather spend the money on another guitar, while keeping the amp i am unhappy with...   Once you do get a really good amp you'll realize having good guitars and a less-than amp was a terrible way to live!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I wound up buying a 60th anniversary Mexican Strat (it has the tex mex pick-ups) and a Blues Junior Fender amp last weekend, which I'm pretty happy with so far. It seems like a good fit for now and I know I can always add or upgrade later.

Solid choices - Good luck (and have fun) Bill S!

Russ B.

Yeah I agree! EXCELLENT choice!!! smile

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub