Re: Joe, Derek Trucks, Old Man Brown at Hot August Blues in Md. !!!

Jane H. wrote:
TXBluesFan wrote:
Shredit wrote:

I'll be booking my flight, so look out yikes!!!!!!!!!!

What a great way to celebrate my 40th b-day..
Great Blues and a visit to Baltimore (never been)..
The wife's planning of my  bash just got easier.

hey now I don't know you but one of my homegirl soulsister child of the sun is gonna be there with the rest of my rowdy friends and her 40 is 8-13 so loook out!

now one other thing i hesitate to mention. the weather.....just saying, maybe a 1% chance looking forward to a lightning shut out. small chance but ever present. if and i mean if it happens usually a late afternoon event that passes but can linger. but still, Rare... just saying , i've done the august road trip and/or outdoor party plannin thing....no bad juju here. can't wait to see what Joe's schedule is around this though

So Jane..IF the weather turns sour, we'll grab Joe & Co. and head to your farm for our own private party!!! I may learn to love August in Maryland..That would be a big change for me!!!
Cathy

Jane H. wrote:

now if this link works, to the north you see oregon ridge park a 100+ acre woods... then travveling south toward TEXAS, MD you see the one quarry
http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmI … p;q1=21030

the other quarry is here to the north
its been filled since angnes hurricane of 72 or whenever, they recently drained it mumblemumble into the trout stream i think
http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmI … p;q1=21161

actually there are three, another slightly to the north west
http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmI … p;q1=21161

also i can't seem to yahoo up the one thing, its not in operation anymore and is on private property but there is a sign at the road of a quarry who's stone was used in the building if the Washington monument.
here's a link with some old photos of some of the quarries
http://external.bcpl.lib.md.us/hcdo/cfd … olistq.cfm
contrary to whatever Joe said in the liner notes, Maryland is also called the land of pleasant living, quarries and all... wink

I'll bet you that Joe never, ever, wants to see a rock quarry again. At least not that quarry in Georgia!

Talk about a positively AWESOME Blues Festival!  Joe and the boys plus the Derek Trucks Band playing at the same show.  You mean dreams can come true.  Cathy and Jane count me in I will be there.  OH YEAH......  Barbara  wink

Oh wow...this looks VERY interesting...and kids are free!!! I may be able to turn this into a mini vacation...thanks for the heads up!

If heartaches were nickels
I'd be the richest fool alive

Geoff wrote:

That's more than decent of you Cathy, thank you. Maybe nearer the time we can have another look, but I don't think it's a reality after where we are going next month - me to the South Pacific and Sue to Mexico?

Hey Geoff,

Did Sue tell you we're just going to be down the road from her in Cancun?

Roy

Joe is the Best!

Wow, this festi is really drumming up some widespread excitement here, huh?  Would be great to meet all you people who are talking about coming.  I just did a google map for myself and it's only 1 hr 18 min for me, even closer than Baltimore, yay.  Now I am NOT a fan of humidity, as I get horrible headaches, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (hydration is the key I believe)... it's worth it for a great day of music like that! big_smile

--Vik cool

25 (edited by LisaG 2009-03-07 04:06:45)

OMG I'm so jealous!  I'd LOVE to see this lineup!  Hmmm maybe I can fly cross-country in August?????

Is this lineup playing any other festivals in the US this year?  Does anyone know?

Hey, I have a question for people who have been to this blues festival before.

After seeing it here yesterday, Scott and I are SERIOUSLY thinking about flying back there for it.  We have family in PA, and it would be a great combo visit.  But we want to know some stuff about the festival--

Is there one stage or competing stages?  Meaning--will the acts be competing with each other on different stages and we'll miss one because we're seeing another?

Seating--tickets go on sale April 1--is it open seating and should we bring chairs/blankets or do they have seats?

Those are the 2 biggest questions now.  Some needed to know by the Pennsylvania family who are also interested in going.

Thanks!
Lisa.

LisaG wrote:

Hey, I have a question for people who have been to this blues festival before.

After seeing it here yesterday, Scott and I are SERIOUSLY thinking about flying back there for it.  We have family in PA, and it would be a great combo visit.  But we want to know some stuff about the festival--

Is there one stage or competing stages?  Meaning--will the acts be competing with each other on different stages and we'll miss one because we're seeing another?

Seating--tickets go on sale April 1--is it open seating and should we bring chairs/blankets or do they have seats?

Those are the 2 biggest questions now.  Some needed to know by the Pennsylvania family who are also interested in going.

Thanks!
Lisa.

Also - I was wondering if this event could sell out, or will there definately be tickets available the day of the show.  smile

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

28 (edited by cathysiler 2009-03-08 12:32:59)

Let's see if I can answer your questions, but I encourage you to check the Festival's web site..There is only 1 stage....set-up is like an amphitheater..yes you bring chairs or a blanket and it is open seating. I can't say anything about whether it will be a sell out. IMHO this is the best line up ever....Hope this helps!    Cathy
http://www.hotaugustblues.com/

(the nocturnal editor has been here) wink

It's looking like I'll be there with some friends - with Spider riding shotgun.

Question - did Davy get back with Adam and Ross or is this BDS v. 2.0???

Cathy your yard is going to look like a tent city that night! lol

Major Tom to ground control...

EVERYBODY!!! WHETHER YOU INTEND ON GOING OR NOT!!!!  I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

I gave Ryan McGarvey a heads up about the "TBA" slot at this event. He called the booking office and talked to the person in charge. If you have heard Ryan's "Forward in Reverse" CD you'll know that he would fit right in.

What you need to do is call, email or whatever to the people at Hot August Blues and request that they offer that spot to Ryan - he is really psyched to do it!

Thanks from Ryan and his band (and me too!!)

RICjunkie wrote:

EVERYBODY!!! WHETHER YOU INTEND ON GOING OR NOT!!!!  I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

I gave Ryan McGarvey a heads up about the "TBA" slot at this event. He called the booking office and talked to the person in charge. If you have heard Ryan's "Forward in Reverse" CD you'll know that he would fit right in.

What you need to do is call, email or whatever to the people at Hot August Blues and request that they offer that spot to Ryan - he is really psyched to do it!

Thanks from Ryan and his band (and me too!!)

That would be awesome if Ryan finally makes it out to the East Coast!!!  I'll try to get in touch with these people first thing in the morning!!!

If heartaches were nickels
I'd be the richest fool alive

Ryan McGarvey Too???!!!! I'm all over it!!! Perfect!! He can come crash at Camp Cathy too!!! Thanks Tom!!!!   Cathy

33 (edited by RICjunkie 2009-03-10 04:33:32)

cathysiler wrote:

Ryan McGarvey Too???!!!! I'm all over it!!! Perfect!! He can come crash at Camp Cathy too!!! Thanks Tom!!!!   Cathy

Well I think you DID say something about wanting to see him live! smile
I'm just trying to make Hot August Blues just a tad hotter!

Made flight reservations last night.  Scott and I will be going, and bringing family and friends from PA along!  Very excited about it!

Ok, ok, I'll make this a serious target! wink

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

36 (edited by cathysiler 2009-03-11 01:56:51)

I'm stoked too Jane!!! I would like to add that I have "Old Man Brown" CD's that I can send to whomever is coming to this fest. I don't want to forget them, great young guys and good musicians. I think getting tickets as early as possible is a good idea. This is the best line-up they've ever had! I also plan to bring some kind of tent to set up in the back so we can get a break from the sun when we need it....lots of time to plan! Still, very exciting!!!   Cathy