Topic: When you hear Joe playing on the radio

This morning I was listening to the request show on Planet Rock (7 - 10am Sats and Suns) when I heard the opening bars of Tea for One. My attention was immediately grabbed and so was the volume knob as it was cranked. It was only 7.35am, and as my 20 year old daughter's room is above the kitchen where I was listening, she got a bit of a blast - that'll teach her not to go out clubbing till the small hours. smile I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing myself, as I think it's the first time I've heard Joe's version of TfO on the radio, and thought I was still asleep and dreaming. Hearing Joe's playing on the radio always sounds really special to me as I think of all the new listeners who'll be turned onto Joe for the first time.

Anyway, hearing Joe on the radio made me think about posting a thread so that whenever anyone hears a Joe song on the radio in the UK, the rest of Europe or the USA or anywhere else they can post on this thread which station it was, when it was and which song plus any commentary from the DJ. This will gauge how the word is spreading, as it surely will in 2009.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Re: When you hear Joe playing on the radio

I heard two Joe tunes on the radio last night.  The local radio station, Z94, had a DJ that loves blues and they have a 2 hour blues set on Sunday nights thats just awesome.  They played 'Bridge to Better Days' and 'Blues Deluxe'.  Woke up my 6 month old while drivin home. smile

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Planet Rock - just before 8.00am yesterday (Sunday) morning - Sloe Gin

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”

I'm currently listening to Gary Moore's Blues Power show on Planet Rock (highly recommended - see timings below) and earlier GM played Lonesome Road Blues from TBOJH. Now, I don't want to be mischievous, but he didn't make any mention of Joe or the song title before or after playing it. Makes me wonder if he was playing it because he was told to.

Gary's show is on Sunday (evenings in the UK) at the following times and you can listen live via the net at: http://www.planetrock.com/

2.00pm-4.00pm on the East Coast (EST)
1.00pm-3.00pm in Chicago (CST)
11.00am-1.00pm on the West Coast (PST)
8.00pm-10.00pm in Europe (CET) (except UK, Ireland & Portugal where it's GMT)

He's just played So Many Roads by Otis Rush. smile

I walked into our local HMV record store at 9.45 yesterday morning to be met by the strains of "Stop" from TBOJH coming from the shop PA. As it is the same in every HMV nationwide, it's great to know that TBOJH is getting some good exposure. Stop may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it should ensure Joe's playing reaches a wider audience and hopefully they'll become long term fans, like us. wink

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

and on the next show on Planet Rock they've just played Funkier than a Mos's Tweeter. That got me jiving in my seat. big_smile

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

My daughter told me she heard Joe on NPR (National Public Radio) yesterday. They played Asking Around for You.
She was a bit surprised, but I guess they play a bit of blues on Saturdays.

My wife was in one of the local grocery store chains (Dominick's for the local people) a few weeks ago and said she heard If Heartaches were Nickels playing over the store's music system, which is amazing to me (usually they seem to play muzak).
I asked my wife if it was Joe's version, but she only heard the end and couldn't tell. My initial reaction was along the lines of "My God, you must have heard Joe's version 100 times over the last 4 years, how can you not know"! Of course, I kept my mouth shut.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

This morning I went into the kitchen to be greeted by the strains of “India/Mountain Time” from LFNIP playing on Planet Rock and Kathryn saying “I like this, who is it?” roll

Nurse, we need to increase the dose. The treatment’s only partially working. lol lol lol

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Murray J on Planet Rock played Sloe Gin (studio version) this morning.

'Try as you might to keep a lid on a good time, you can't do it. When people want to have a good time....' - Billy Gibbons

Wooders wrote:

I'm currently listening to Gary Moore's Blues Power show on Planet Rock (highly recommended - see timings below) and earlier GM played Lonesome Road Blues from TBOJH. Now, I don't want to be mischievous, but he didn't make any mention of Joe or the song title before or after playing it. Makes me wonder if he was playing it because he was told to.

Gary's show is on Sunday (evenings in the UK) at the following times and you can listen live via the net at: http://www.planetrock.com/

I walked into our local HMV record store at 9.45 yesterday morning to be met by the strains of "Stop" from TBOJH coming from the shop PA. As it is the same in every HMV nationwide, it's great to know that TBOJH is getting some good exposure. Stop may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it should ensure Joe's playing reaches a wider audience and hopefully they'll become long term fans, like us. wink

Phil

Re:Gary not mentioning Joe or the song might be as your conjecture suggests. Or it may be just a slight oversight, actually possible I suppose.  Or it could be Gary wanted to see if the phones light up and how much to survey and gauge Joe's reel 'em in factor and /or to figure out how he'll make HIS next move if he wants to get the queries about himself and his music.
Regardless, it is exposure.

Rock On Planet Rock! Keep the Faith and lotsa Joe Bonamassa spinning,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Bill S wrote:

My daughter told me she heard Joe on NPR (National Public Radio) yesterday. They played Asking Around for You.
She was a bit surprised, but I guess they play a bit of blues on Saturdays.

My wife was in one of the local grocery store chains (Dominick's for the local people) a few weeks ago and said she heard If Heartaches were Nickels playing over the store's music system, which is amazing to me (usually they seem to play muzak).
I asked my wife if it was Joe's version, but she only heard the end and couldn't tell. My initial reaction was along the lines of "My God, you must have heard Joe's version 100 times over the last 4 years, how can you not know"! Of course, I kept my mouth shut.

She heard Joe's version!  I'm sure, otherwise she wouldn't of recognized it... Well it seems likely in the former and unlikely she could've in the latter... Now, that daughter is a sharp, sophisticated one wink US of A= still a surprise.  Planet Rock, definitely gets the plan, by definition even...

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Jane H. wrote:

Stop! again on WTMD June 30,2009 10:40am

I guess they don't want to cease & desist cuz they can't resist!  Don't STOP!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Just before 9pm last night on Planet Rock, DJ Nicky Horne mentioned the official release of the RAH DVD this weekend and how Joe had gone from an audience of around 60 at his first London gig to a sold out RAH in five years. He then played STOP from the DVD. Hearing Joe on the radio always makes me stop what I’m doing and listen, but last night I had goosebumps at the thought of all those thousands of other listeners who were hearing it too.

At the end of STOP Nicky mentioned that he played the track from the CD version of the concert. Was this a special version for radio? I don’t know, but it could signify that there will be a music CD at some stage. Anyone have any info on this?

Phi

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Wooders wrote:

Just before 9pm last night on Planet Rock, DJ Nicky Horne mentioned the official release of the RAH DVD this weekend and how Joe had gone from an audience of around 60 at his first London gig to a sold out RAH in five years. He then played STOP from the DVD. Hearing Joe on the radio always makes me stop what I’m doing and listen, but last night I had goosebumps at the thought of all those thousands of other listeners who were hearing it too.

At the end of STOP Nicky mentioned that he played the track from the CD version of the concert. Was this a special version for radio? I don’t know, but it could signify that there will be a music CD at some stage. Anyone have any info on this?

Phi

Thank you very much for that! Good to know and wonder.... yikes smile

Planet rock played  Blue and evil about 15mins ago.

it is good to know that some out there are playing his music, what...the begining of the 20 year arrival? my son and I are in Alabama and sans satellite, if we hear JB on the regular radio it would probably signal the endtimes. So, exposure is good, many more converted to the Bonamafia (my pick), and maybe they could vary it a bit and play some other tracks. As is, sadly, all of our Joe is at work and home.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Wooders wrote:

Phil

didn't know he had a radio show... i shall start listening to it.

long live gazza

if i was a woman, i would be his girlfriend

17 (edited by RickB 2010-03-03 08:24:46)

This evening I finally got the bug out of the computer and could listen to net radio. First thing I tried, just to see if the patch worked, was Phoenix Radio. After midnight there. Lo and behold, the first 6 tunes were a medley of Mr. Joe Bonamassa's tunes from 5 different albums! The heck with local broadcast radio. They Rock! It was still running when I had to leave. Straight Joe.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Rick, it sounds like Phoenix is definitley our kind of radio station. A great find. You should mail them and congratulate them on their taste.  smile

Tripod, I'm sorry to tell you that GM's Blues show on Planet Rock ceased sometime ago, around the time Joe started his shows on PR. Good luck with the gender reassignment.  lol

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis