Topic: New Tube amp for blues/classic rock under $1,000

I love to hear what you guys think about this subject.

I am trying to decide which amp to buy.  I need something that can be used on stage (so atleast 40 watts i'm guessing).

Fender makes a few in that range....

One choice of mine is the Fender Super Sonic and another is the Traynor YCS50.  I kind of like the features of the Traynor.
So please throw out some suggewstions and feed back on the Traynor and the Super Sonic!!!

Thanks,
Barry

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Re: New Tube amp for blues/classic rock under $1,000

$1000 kind of limits what you can get in the halfstack format...some great combos in that range are the Fender RI Deluxe Reverbs or Princetons, a used 59' Bassman,  Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues, anything from Valvetrain amps (tweed Fender handwired clones, mostly lower wattage), used Marshall JCM combo, used Budda Superdrive 18, Ceriatone combos (vintage marshall, hiwatt, fender, matchless if you don't mind the wait times), used Dr. Z Maz 18, used Hiwatt Bulldog 40, used Mesa Lonestar...etc etc etc.  All of these are plenty loud for stage use and luckily for you this is a great time to get into some VERY nice amps for around $1000.  People can't give their gear away due to the poor economy!  Keep your eyes open on the 'bay or your local stores.  It also helps if you already have a cab or have something to trade as well.  If you have a cab a head would be a little cheaper and open up even more options. Good luck!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Oh I forgot, if you are in a tossup between the Traynor and the Supersonic...the Supersonic eats it's lunch.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Look for a used first version of a Mesa Lonestar to try out.  Its sickly loud, but the way the amp works, you can drive the hell out of the power tubes and control the volume.  I'd also change the tubes from 6l6's to el34's (JJ's recomended on both power and pre), but that is just me (remember no biasing required witht his amp - selectable el34's or 6l6's).  Its got an excellent effects loop and reverb as well.  Both clean and drive channels are great.

Ben

If you can get me a 220V Mesa Lonestar for under $1'000, let me know. They're about $3'500 to $4'000 over here.

The supersonic is a sick amp.  I love the overdrive and the clean is great because you can choose between 2 great clean channels... on the fly too via footswitch.  Great feature. 1400 dollars for a combo.

Look at used Fender Twins with a 25/100 watt feature. They are great. about 800.00 Also if you like Vox they make a AC30 that usually falls in around 800.  Also a great amp.  700.00

The Fender Deluxe Reverb is one of the best amps on the planet. Brand new around 1000.  22 watts is far more than you will ever need unless you play large venues with really big stages. 

Good Luck.

Yeah, it's a good time to find deals on used stuff. So, if you don't mind used you'll get a LOT of great options.

All of the amps already mentioned are great amps! So, it's a matter of trying a few different ones out, if possible.

Here's a couple not yet mentioned I have first hand experience with, and can recommend:

Silver Faced Fenders. For your price range, you could get a SF and have a real Classic amp. Something that will more than likely go UP in price. And they sound GREAT!

The Peavey Classic series is very under-rated. I am especially fond of the Classic 50 410 Combo. Heavy, but really great sounding. And about $350.00 used.

A used Budda can be had for $800.00 to $1,000.00. But, you gotta be patient, and ready to jump on one when it appears. Great amps! I have a Twinmaster 210 Combo. It's 18 LOUD Watts. Sounds great for any type of Rock, Country, etc. I also have a 30 Watt Twinmaster Plus Head. I play it through a Traynor 212 Cab W/ Texas Heats. KILLIN'!

And then, there's Kits. If you feel comfortable soldering, etc., you can really get something nice for 1K.

Happy hunting! Please let us all know what you end up with. It'll be great to hear your findings.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Ok...  This is too much fun to stay out of.
500 pounds or about $1000 usd

Amps I like for that much new/used

Marshall DSL 50 1X12 combo
Fender hot rod deville 2X12 combo
used Vox AC 30 reissue
used circa 94 Peavey Classic 30 or 50 and while you are at it try to find a Val-Verb
vintage Lab Series L-5 or L-7 solid state but BB King and Ty Tabor love em.. so do I
used Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2X12  maybe a bit more than a grand but a good amp
used Marshall 30th anniversary 1X12 combo again maybe a bit more again
vintage silver face Bassman or bandmaster
vintage marshall JCM 800 combo
vintage Garnett 30  (by Gar Gilies of Winepeg CA)

Amps to beware of... Im not saying dont buy them but give them a good listen

DR Z...I know I know people love them.. I have never played one that did it for me, again if you own one and like it .. thats great.
Fender Blues Deville series... The original ones were very very very bright... did I say they were bright?
Anything that says Crate and voodoo on it
Anything that says Johnson or Cyber on it
Anything that says KRANK on it.. They are used in a lot in Heavy Metal,  but sound like vacuum cleaners to me.

anyway thats my 2 cents...
Thanks
Joe Bonamassa

( From http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5126 )

Joe Bonamassa Wrote this in a quite old topic...hope it helps!

Rock on// Simon

Guy info eveyone...looks like i have a bit more research to do but that is the fun part of my quest....

just another question through...for small to mid size clubs and bars, what would you say is a good minimum wattage...30?...40?...50?

Barry

If you mike through the PA you could use whatever you want.  I would probably get two cheap combos and run them at the same time because 15 watts + 15 watts = 30 watts.  A couple of cheap tube combos together would produce a nice stereo spread and allow a bigger/louder sound.  I have a Dr. Z Maz 18 that is twice as loud as a Deluxe Reverb RI...I swear to God!  Tell your drummer to take a chill pill if you can't hear yourself with an amp 30 watts+

11 (edited by LesPaul4 2009-02-13 13:53:19)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I would probably get two cheap combos and run them at the same time because 15 watts + 15 watts = 30 watts.  A couple of cheap tube combos together would produce a nice stereo spread and allow a bigger/louder sound.

I didn't think 15 watts + 15 watts = 30 watts...i thought it was 2 15 watts which isn't any louder to hear over drums and not 30 watts?  the second 15 watts isn't making the first watts any louder...it can give a fuller sound esp if you use el84's and 6v6's amps...

from a Math point of view it works but for decibles does it work?

Am I way off in this logic?

If anyone can further explain this to me that would be great....cuz I would love to just find a second 15 watt amp to go with my AC15...but for some reason I'm not sold on this theory.

LesPaul4 wrote:
stratpaulguy86 wrote:

I would probably get two cheap combos and run them at the same time because 15 watts + 15 watts = 30 watts.  A couple of cheap tube combos together would produce a nice stereo spread and allow a bigger/louder sound.

I didn't think 15 watts + 15 watts = 30 watts...i thought it was 2 15 watts which isn't any louder to hear over drums and not 30 watts?  the second 15 watts isn't making the first watts any louder...it can give a fuller sound esp if you use el84's and 6v6's amps...

from a Math point of view it works but for decibles does it work?

Am I way off in this logic?

If anyone can further explain this to me that would be great....cuz I would love to just find a second 15 watt amp to go with my AC15...but for some reason I'm not sold on this theory.

Okay here's how I understood it and made sense to me...I could be wrong though.  If you have one person talking at a certain db and then you add 50 people talking at the same db, the overall sound is much louder.  That concept to me means that volume adds together...I dunno I could be wrong.  I run 2 100 watt heads (a Marshall and Dumble style head both 100 watts) and I run the Marshall a little louder than the Dumble type amp.  BUT, when I add the Dumble type amp to the mix it adds a serious bump in the overall volume/sound.  Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me!

I have no idea if I am right or wrong...that's why I asked...LOL

But thanks for the ideas...I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing....

What about a Marshall Vintage Modern? I've got one, really like the low dynamic range! Modern version of a plexi..
Add a tubescreamer..classic blues-rock tone!

15 (edited by radiographer 2009-02-16 11:52:52)

LP 4,  whatever you do,  please just dont under estimate a lower wattage amp. like budda said,  the superdrive 18 is a LOUD amp.  too many people ( around springfield, IL where i play ) think you absolutely HAVE to have a 100 watt amp to sound good....you dont.  you want a good sounding amp for less that 1000 bucks... my advice to you is look at a ceriatone amp. they have some excellent stuff for much much less that most anywhere else.   anyway...this is just my own opinion. good luck with your search.

almost forgot... budda your right about the peavy classic 50, i own one and use it with my vibroverb,  the classic 50 is a PHENOMINAL sounding amp.  worth lots more than 350.... had an offer of 800 for mine last year. but never parting with it, lol.

Blues Junior

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

You can add a cab (2 x 12) maybe?

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Pieter-Jan wrote:

What about a Marshall Vintage Modern? I've got one, really like the low dynamic range! Modern version of a plexi..
Add a tubescreamer..classic blues-rock tone!

How is the Vintage Modern's clean sound...headroom?