Topic: effects processors

i'd like to tap into the vast knowledge of you guys so here goes. i'm looking for an effects processor. only been playing for a year or so so limited abliity, need something where i can lay a rhythum track over a drum beat then play lead over the top and be able to listen to the lot back.basic processor really 4 track or so, nothing that i would have to sell one of my kids to buy, and something fairly simple to use. names that have been mentioned to me so far are zoom digitech & korg. but have any of you guys used any these particular  models?
sorry if this is a bit basic for this forum but if anyone can help..
thanks

Re: effects processors

So from what it sounds like, you're looking for a drum machine that has built in guitar effects and amp simulators.  I haven't tried the Zoom (but I heard they're pretty good) or the Korg (don't know anything about them really).  I have tried the Digitech- it was good for a beginner, but once you get more advanced and know what sound you're after, it really doesnt' cut it anymore.  I know for a drum machine, the best one is the Boss DR-5.  you can pretty much do anything with it.  I don't have one personally, but  I know someone who does and it's really easy to program, you can play guitar through it and it can track the guitar so it sounds like any number of other instruments.  I think, but don't quote me on this, that it also has an amp simulator.  You can record backing tracks over the drum samples and solo over those.  Pretty cool.  Unfortunately, they don't make these anymore and the only place you can get one is on ebay or a music store that has a lot of used sutff, but it's worth it to check them out.

Hope this helps,

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

3 (edited by Ges 2006-11-16 14:52:07)

Hi Brazman

I posted a reply you might be interested in the post on the General section - message for Joe.

4 (edited by gsj 2006-11-17 09:39:34)

Try one of the new Boss digital recorders. They don't cost too much, have plenty of features and are easy to use. (No, I don't work for Roland/Boss). Just remember that the lower priced ones usually use Flash memory cards instead of an internal hard-drive.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

gsj
the boss one i've been told about is the boss micro br. know anything about this one?checked out the website www.microbr.co uk seems to have all i need but would like to know if anyone has used them.

Not seen one yet but I'm sure I will (I manage a guitar store - kid in a sweet shop syndrome). I'll let you know but remember that the smaller units can be a bit more fiddly to use. I've had a BR1180 for ages and it's so easy to use for demos that I'm not going to change it until it stops working....which'll probably be tomorrow now that I've said that.

Brazman wrote:

gsj
the boss one i've been told about is the boss micro br. know anything about this one?checked out the website www.microbr.co uk seems to have all i need but would like to know if anyone has used them.

the boss recorders are cool.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

gsj
thanks i'd appreciate your opinion once you had yours hands on one.

will do

Brazman wrote:

gsj
thanks i'd appreciate your opinion once you had yours hands on one.