Topic: Why the Rugs ?

Why does Joe have a rug on the floor when he plays live ?
I think Mark had his own rug as well when I saw the guys earlier in the year.

2 (edited by gsj 2006-11-06 17:19:10)

Re: Why the Rugs ?

My guess; apart from it giving a nicer ambience to the stage than worn out floorboards it'll help prevent a build up of static which can discharge through the mics or equipment....ouch!!

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

A wooden stage transfers the sound of feet stomping into the mic stands then out to the Front of House.
You also can hide cords under to tidy up the stage a bit. Actually rugs can create more of a static charge.

Actually, a lot of musicians have their own rugs under them while they're playing...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I've rolled up those rugs before.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Jane H. wrote:

magic carpet

Jane!! LOL! Some reason, I knew you would have the best explanation!!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Wouldn't you only get static from certain materials?

jim m wrote:

A wooden stage transfers the sound of feet stomping into the mic stands then out to the Front of House.
You also can hide cords under to tidy up the stage a bit. Actually rugs can create more of a static charge.

The rug "really ties the room together" - Jeffrey Lebowski

Hiding the cords is nice though, it beats duct tape hand over fist

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Lots of times there is tape marks on them for placement of the equipment, so it is the same everytime....

The rugs can also be an acoustic treatment to help against echo's from the hard reflective surface that the stage is. Same concept as placeing throw rugs in a room with wood floors for home audio or a studio.

yep.  nothin like a nice RUG.

Never really considered that a mandatory piece of a guitar rig, but now that think about it... it should be a staple!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Never staple your rug....the blood makes a terrible mess.:/

13 (edited by pattyluvsjoe 2006-11-13 22:23:17)

Well, if you're not going to staple the rug for fear of blood, one had better not "cut the rug."

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

14 (edited by Demonsterastratofixation 2006-11-16 23:19:59)

To answer Geoff's question: Most rugs/carpets materials generate kilovolts of static electricity, sneakers can work either way, somerimes stifling static completely and others zap up a mini-storm...Anti-static materials are available but generally quite pricey.

As for purpose, they are comfortable for assuming the lotus position and gently tossing the I Ching coins just before sound check....OR maybe it's just comfy?!

An aside from the rugs....Demonsterastratofixation, did you know your user id is 24 letters long......now that's impressive smile

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

My memory is so bad I sometimes have trouble remembering my user name, so heaven knows how I'd manage with a name like that.

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

An aside from the rugs....Demonsterastratofixation, did you know your user id is 24 letters long......now that's impressive smile