Topic: Joes 59 Les Paul Reissue

I have read that Joe has a 59 Les Paul reissue with original PAF 59 pickups. Does anyone know what guitar that was? Joe has many so I dont know wich one it is. Does he play it on any of his dvds? I have read some articles that a set of original 59 PAFs run as high as $9,000 dollars or higher! I have an article in Guitar One Mag that has an article on someone paying $9000 dollars for the PAFs. Maybe it was Joe!!!????

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Re: Joes 59 Les Paul Reissue

I thought it was the 58 that he plays, but not sure

and I doubt he paid 9,000

think he's been a vintage collector for some time

but tone guys swap out pickups quite frequently, hard to be sure
it's the PAF unless the big guy himself verifies

I think I remember hearing JB's dad has a guitar shop. All kinds of deals are a possibility if you know the right people.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I wish my dad had a vintage guitar shop sad but you can't always have it all...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

i've got an "original" '59 Les Paul.... (well almost original, i had to change the machine heads) it was a gift from my dad for my 18th birthday..many many years ago.   9 GRAND for a set of PAF's ?????   i believe my dad only paid about $2500 for it....original case & all, but that was in the early '70's
it's not in mint condition but very very good condition, a few buckle scratches on the back.

i have no idea what it would be worth today....but i play it & would never part with it...it was the only thing that got me through a very messy divorce.

"growing older but staying immature"

http://www.myspace.com/rkomgt

RKO wrote:

i've got an "original" '59 Les Paul.... (well almost original, i had to change the machine heads) it was a gift from my dad for my 18th birthday..many many years ago.   9 GRAND for a set of PAF's ?????   i believe my dad only paid about $2500 for it....original case & all, but that was in the early '70's
it's not in mint condition but very very good condition, a few buckle scratches on the back.

i have no idea what it would be worth today....but i play it & would never part with it...it was the only thing that got me through a very messy divorce.

Either your playing with us all or you really dont know but an original 59 Les Paul? I wouldnt be bragging about it too much because they are worth a small fortune. You better take out a bigger insurance policy on your house! As far as them $9,000 dollar PAFs, I have the Guitar One Magazine right here in front of me showing the article. Go look on Ebay for any vintage 59 Les Paul guitars or parts. I just got my last Guitar One Magazine and they have another article on a 58 Gibson Explorer that sold for $250,000. They said there were only 19 Explorers made that year! Neil Young, Slash and Billy Gibbons are known to own one of them. Only 434 58 Les Pauls were made that year and is priced quite a bit higher than the Explorer. Vintage guitars are going through the roof these days! The 58 and 59 Les Pauls are in the hunt these days. RKO, do you have a Les Paul or a Les Paul Jr.?

Rob

No Rob...i'm telling you straight.
1959 Les Paul Standard, it was a gift from my dad....i know he paid quite a bit, and he got it from a family member who owned a music store in New York in like 1970-71 I have all the documentation / verification of its authenticity direct from Gibson.  Not to worry it is insured....but i have it to play not to hang on the wall as an art piece...the tone is incredible....friends who have played it have offered me everything from cash to cars....but as i said...it got me through some of the roughest times in my life & i'll never part with it.  I don't really follow up on pricing of vintage equipment...but i see stuff on the internet that is absolutely insanely priced.  I also have an old Marshall Plexi 100watt head, but like a lot of Marshall equipment it is very tempermental as to when it wants to work.

RKO, Wow!! Thats incredible dude!! If I owned one myself, I would be bragging thats for sure. The 59 is worth tens of thousands of dollars. Ill bet Mr. Bonamassa is jealous!! LOL!! Ahh, he probably allready owns one or will in the near future. Thats pretty cool that you own one!! Congrats! Your Father did you well.

Rob

zosozep7 wrote:

RKO, Wow!! Thats incredible dude!! If I owned one myself, I would be bragging thats for sure. The 59 is worth tens of thousands of dollars. Ill bet Mr. Bonamassa is jealous!! LOL!! Ahh, he probably allready owns one or will in the near future. Thats pretty cool that you own one!! Congrats! Your Father did you well.

Rob

Just Tens of thousands?  I bet it it's in good condition, it could be worth even hundreds of thousands... I've never gotten why a vintage guitar in good condition fetches more than one that looks like it's been used... I prefer guitars to look worn in- I've never played a brand new guitar that I thought felt good- that's including Les Pauls, Rickenbackers, Strats, Martins, etc.

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

kwsjb1238 wrote:
zosozep7 wrote:

Rob

Just Tens of thousands?  I bet it it's in good condition, it could be worth even hundreds of thousands... I've never gotten why a vintage guitar in good condition fetches more than one that looks like it's been used... I prefer guitars to look worn in- I've never played a brand new guitar that I thought felt good- that's including Les Pauls, Rickenbackers, Strats, Martins, etc.

I know its worth lots! I didnt want to freak RKO out incase he didnt know but the 59 Les Pauls are astronomical! The 58 and 59s are like the holy grail of guitars! I have a 58 RI and I check Ebay often on them and I see original parts along with guitars that have huge price tags.
RKO, will you be at the Mt Clemens show this December?? If so, can I touch your 59?? LOL!!! Looking forward to seeing you there if you are coming. Remember, I will buy the first drink because I was the Newbie!

Rob

ok.....i've done a little homework....

1st off...the guitar HAS to be in absolute mint condition & 100% original w/case to fetch the money that everyone is talking about here.  Mine is a "59  Les Paul Standard in very good condition...i had to replace the machine heads because the originals were slipping...thus it's not 100 % "original"...the volume pots are starting to get a bit noisy so in time i'll replace those.  I don't put a "Holy Grail" tag on my paul...i love it to death, but i'm "old school" and i treasure it for what it does..not what its worth. & Rob...i DEFINITELY will be at the Hayloft show !
looking forward to meeting you & the rest of the "D" troit street  team ! & i'm holding you to that 1st drink !!!
either a Jack & Coke or Labatts !!!...i won't be to hard to find...just look for the old F**K with the long pony tail !
LOL

RKO wrote:

1st off...the guitar HAS to be in absolute mint condition & 100% original w/case to fetch the money that everyone is talking about here.  Mine is a "59  Les Paul Standard in very good condition...i had to replace the machine heads because the originals were slipping...thus it's not 100 % "original"...the volume pots are starting to get a bit noisy so in time i'll replace those.  I don't put a "Holy Grail" tag on my paul...i love it to death, but i'm "old school" and i treasure it for what it does..not what its worth. & Rob...i DEFINITELY will be at the Hayloft show !
looking forward to meeting you & the rest of the "D" troit street  team ! & i'm holding you to that 1st drink !!!
either a Jack & Coke or Labatts !!!...i won't be to hard to find...just look for the old F**K with the long pony tail !
LOL

LOL!!!! hahahahaha!! You got it bro! First one is on me and I like Jack and cokes also. Speaking of Labatts, I have one right now!

Rob

RKO wrote:

LOL

I'll still take it smile smile

14 (edited by gsj 2006-11-13 19:23:58)

Machine heads rarely 'slip'. They either work or they don't. More than likely the nut needs re-cutting to prevent the strings sticking and therefore not returning to pitch. Ask a good local luthier.....you may save yourself a few quid (dollars, euros ????)....and you're right....play it every day 'cause that's why it was made.

RKO wrote:

LOL

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young