Re: What is your amp of choice?

2 1992 fender vibro king and a 1967 fender super reverb.

56 (edited by JohnTB 2008-11-26 07:00:32)

Since the day I played through a cranked Marshall 1959 head I just havent been able to find a sound I like with my blues deluxe, so Im gas'ing for a Marshall bit of a pain really not being happy with your sound :x

I think atm I spend more time messing with the eq than I do playing, I guess thats the reason why I'm 1. playing more acoustic and 2. playing alot less in the free time I have sad

What would you guys recommend as a good low powered Marshall amp? I was thinking of a 1974x 18w handwired 1 x12 combo, a bluesbreaker combo or a jtm45 head with a small cab..

JohnTB wrote:

Since the day I played through a cranked Marshall 1959 head I just havent been able to find a sound I like with my blues deluxe, so Im gas'ing for a Marshall bit of a pain really not being happy with your sound :x

I think atm I spend more time messing with the eq than I do playing, I guess thats the reason why I'm 1. playing more acoustic and 2. playing alot less in the free time I have sad

What would you guys recommend as a good low powered Marshall amp? I was thinking of a 1974x 18w handwired 1 x12 combo, a bluesbreaker combo or a jtm45 head with a small cab..

I think you should check out www.martamp.co.uk
I'm not connected to them in any way (other than owning one), they are a small company about 1.5 hours from you.
I have a custom made Martamp Roadstar head with a 1x12 cab (it's the burgundy one on the website). It is based on the 1974x with the exception that it is powerscaled so you can still crank the output tubes at TV volume.

Another great little amp that might work well for you is the 18w Suhr Badger. I tried one before deciding on the Martamp which was just as good but cheaper

I'm a simple man with no on-stage needs at this time so my Vox ac15cc1 is perfect for me.  And if ever comes a day when I may play on stage, then I'll just get an extension cab for now and run the Vox through it.

Barry

2009 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS (with black plastic)
2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Goldtop (with the cream plastic from the 58RI)
> Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal >Boss sd-1> DD3 > Vox Ac15cc1

Favorite amps:  under a grand!!

Used AC -30 with greenbacks
Used Marshall  JCM 800 50 watt
Orange Tiny Terror.. Pretty good.. it'll do in a pinch
Marshall Lead Overdrive 30 circa 1979 (solid state)
Fender Bandmaster head circa 1966 or 1967
and the NUMBER ONE favorite!!!!!
LAB Series L-5.. mine cost me $400 dollars in North Carolina!!! mint with tags..  best pound for  pound dollar for dollar

60 (edited by Spider 2008-11-26 12:14:36)

Fender 57 twin.
Marshall 2205
Marshall 2555
Fender Blues DeVille (original)

Love the AC-30's, the tiny terror was a pleasant suprise, not my first choice but I had to use one when equpment did'nt show up, and it did great! I've got a 100 Watt jcm 800 mark11 I use for a paperweight!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

LAB Series L-5.. mine cost me $400 dollars in North Carolina!!! mint with tags..  best pound for  pound dollar for dollar

If heartaches were nickels, I'd have 35 cents!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =383604393

currently using:  guytron gt-100, naylor sd-60 and marshall jcm2000 dsl50 in my set-up

pictures of the rig can be found at:  http://community.webshots.com/user/guytron

been looking at a Suhr OD-100 ( Mike Landau Classic Model )

Jay

Self-Professed "GOLDIE" Nut-Job!!!!

JBLP #267

My amps of choice. smile

Blues/Rock project amps:
-Budda Sperdrive head (1st series, ptp)
with a Marshall 2x12 cab (fitted with G12H30 heritage)
- Marshall 1989 Bluesbreaker
Both amps paired with a Lehle P-split

Bryan Adams Tribute:
- Valvetech Hayseed (AC-30 clone, fantastic!)

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Never had this many posts on any of my topics, but i was real happy when Joe posted a comment! Dont see too much of his posts, but im always really interested when he posts up on the forum! YAY

Rus

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Just bought a Marshall MG30 DFX. I will never be good enough to perform but i do want an amp that is well priced and gives me a good sound, this amp  has tone a wonderfull overdrive channel and power to bring down a moose at 100 feet. It's good because i dont have alot of space for loads of gear and it can fit away nicely. 

Keep Rockin

Stevie Boy

I wonder what Joe's favorite amps would be if all amps were free!

I've yet to find the "amp" of choice.  I did have a Marshall JCM 800 50 watt head but I didn't care for it personally.  My favorite amp I've had was a Fender Vibroluxe Reverb, but I wasn't happy with that either.  Now I own crap amps.

Aiken Intruder
Komet Concorde clone..aka the Komutt

Evo wrote:

Just bought a Marshall MG30 DFX. I will never be good enough to perform but i do want an amp that is well priced and gives me a good sound, this amp  has tone a wonderfull overdrive channel and power to bring down a moose at 100 feet. It's good because i dont have alot of space for loads of gear and it can fit away nicely. 

Keep Rockin

Stevie Boy

There not bad amps, they get alot of crap but when they work they sound good shame they break so much I had 2 break on me :x I has a lush delay setting on it

Anyone in England who's looking for that plexi sound for small pub gigs should check out the Cornell Plexi 18/20.

I use one of these through one of the reissued 60s-style Marshall 2x12s with the basketweave grille.

With a Les Paul it nails that Kossoff era sound. Not for those who want bells and whistles, because there's no reverb, master volume or FX loops. But these things absolutely sing. Ive also got a Marshall vintage modern and there really is no comparison. It's not that the VM isn't good, it is. But the Plexi is magnificent....not surprising that Robin Trower, no less, has recently retired his 800 series Marshalls and started using Cornell tops with his Marshall cabs.

Denis Cornell is also a lovely bloke. I have had one of his little Romany Pluses for years and it recently developed a minor problem. I took it back to him in Southhend where he not only put it right while I waited but also replaced the output valve at no charge, made me tea and even offered to make me something to eat!

If you buy directly from him he will also give a hefty discount.

Mike from soultone makes the wilbur also an 18/20 plexi type but he does a beautiful job with power scaling and Sag control.  can get beautiful crunch and distortion at any volume. beautifullly engineered amps, absolute tone.

nrob1982 wrote:

Anyone in England who's looking for that plexi sound for small pub gigs should check out the Cornell Plexi 18/20.

I use one of these through one of the reissued 60s-style Marshall 2x12s with the basketweave grille.

With a Les Paul it nails that Kossoff era sound. Not for those who want bells and whistles, because there's no reverb, master volume or FX loops. But these things absolutely sing. Ive also got a Marshall vintage modern and there really is no comparison. It's not that the VM isn't good, it is. But the Plexi is magnificent....not surprising that Robin Trower, no less, has recently retired his 800 series Marshalls and started using Cornell tops with his Marshall cabs.

Denis Cornell is also a lovely bloke. I have had one of his little Romany Pluses for years and it recently developed a minor problem. I took it back to him in Southhend where he not only put it right while I waited but also replaced the output valve at no charge, made me tea and even offered to make me something to eat!

If you buy directly from him he will also give a hefty discount.

A little short on time right now but its all said along the bottom...

CURRENTLY: CAT5 JB PLEXI 50W, CAT5 1900 50W, Split 4x12 cab.
Fender Strat, Tele. Gibson LP including ole #174 JB Goldtop...

In heaven right now with the CAT5 rig!!!