Topic: Nashville

OK...How did it go in Nashville last night?...

Bizzer

2 (edited by larryt 2008-10-11 21:44:47)

Re: Nashville

There must not be that many forum dwellers in Nashville. No one responded when I asked who would be there--was hoping to meet some folks. But hey, that's not why you called. Nashville was amazing for a number of reasons.
1) Joe was there and that's enough but he was more engaged that I've ever seen (7th time in 4 years). His playing was phenomenal as usual, but his vocals were just passionate and inspired. Maybe it's because of his self-described love issues, but when he sang, "I'm so damn lonely..." it seemed to come from way deep inside. He talked more between songs and just shared more of himself.
2) The crowd was very enthusiastic yet respectful. We yelled and clapped and whooped when it was time to, and yet there were moments you could hear a pin drop as Joe played some of those achingly reserved quiet passages and stepped out from the mic to sing on a couple of occasions. When someone started to yell at one such moment he gave them a playful smirk and shussed them. Everyone smiled, including Joe.
3) Hang on to your hat for this one. I noticed another small guitar rig on stage (Category 5 combo with a Fuch's or Two-rock head on top, a DD3, TU-2 and Tube Screamer.) About half-way throug the show Joe said that it was rare when you actually got a chance to meet a hero and find out that they were not only moster musicians but really nice as well. He then, are you ready, introduced, are you sure, Larry Carlton who came out and did Your Funeral, My Trial and Blues Delux with Joe. Joe immediately gave him the floor and encouraged him to play as much as he wanted. Carlton is clearly taken with joe's playing and really wanted to hear him play and defered back to him after a couple of vereses. Once when Joe had played one of those unbelievably creative and technically flawess lines Carlton looked at Carmine and rolled his eyes as if to sayu, "Can you believe he just did that?" Carlton really got loose on Blues Delux and smoked a couple of verses. What was cool was that because of Carlton's presence, it took Joe out of some of the paths he might have taken on his solos and wound up in new territory, especially when he brought the band down low. Man, he played some of the coolest, funkiest stuff I've ever heard him play. He brought Carlton back for a once-in-a-lifetime version of Asking Around For You.

After the show by the bus Carlton talked to folks just like any other Joe...no pun intended. I kept thinking, man this is the guy who played that great solo on Kid Charlemagne and he's standing right here.

BTW, I talked to Carmine afterward and he was like a kid at Christmas talking about the new CD and the unlimited potential they have as a band to explore the blues the way no one else has.  He's really cool.

Also, I should mention that the warm-up was Tyler Bryant, the 17-year-old phenom who channels SRV and Hendrix with his own youthful energy and swagger. His Vibrolux and extension cab were really loud and hard for the soundman to do much with, but he overcame the sound issues like a seasoned pro and really made the most of his 4 songs, much to the delight of the crowd who encouraged him with patience and grace.

OK, what was the question? Oh yeah, Nashville went well.

Breathless,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

Great review Larry! Sounds like my kind of crowd, my kind of place.

I would have loved to see Joe trading licks with Larry Carlton. Larry is such a class guy and versatile guitarist with incredible tone and a fluid style - seems like a natural pairing for Joe. I know it's not what he's known for, but Larry can really play the blues. I can only imagine how awesome "Blues Deluxe" and "Asking Around For You" must have been! I also like how you said that being on stage with Larry allowed Joe to stretch out a little bit and get a little funky. Joe can really be funky when he wants to!

Thanks again Larry! It sounds like you were witness to a very special evening.

Thanks for the review Larry. Sounds like a fantastic show. I so can't wait for Nov 9th. I need my Joe fix!!

Tripsy smile

Larry,

Sounds like a killer show...A special appearance with Larry Carlton?...WOW!...Did Joe sell out the theater?...How many in attendance?...I ended up at the Cleveland HOB the day before your show...

Bizzer

I'm not sure if it was technically sold out, but I saw only scattered empty seats. The energy in the room was incredible. People we up standing up and screaming after almost every song.

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)