Topic: Frank Marino Mahogany Rush Real Live CD

I just purchased this cd today and from what I have heard so far it is very good! This is a double cd with over 2 1/2 hours of music. Sounds like the old Frank that Im so use to hearing. Good to hear him still crankin!! So far, my favorite track is Red House. Very bluesy mood. Anyone else care to give their review? I am pleased with my purchased so far!
Im suprized that Frank has not released a dvd of any shows he has done in the past. I remember him years ago in Cal Jam 2.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Re: Frank Marino Mahogany Rush Real Live CD

I have Real Live and it is great. You are correct zosozep , it is over 2 1/2 hours long, each disc is like 78 minutes.
It is very representative of what Frank has been doing in his live shows for the last 5 or 6 years. By that I mean long jams.
The guitar work is truly jawdropping.

As far as a DVD goes , from what I hear one is comming in the future. I think they are going to make one from this tour that he is now on. But he is definately supposed to release a DVD , of new stuff, not old footage.

His Cal Jam 2 performance is legendary. Mahogany Rush stole the show in front of 250,000 people, probobly Franks greatest hour in terms of popularity with the masses. And I am not just talking about the people that were there.

They ended up on the album for the Cal Jam 2 .

One of the very best live releases by any one in quite some time.  Stories of a Hero is my favorite.  I went to Montreal in 2000 to see Frank play for the first time in years.  He came out and said that he and the band had only rehearsed their set once for about a couple of hours.  They went on to play for 3+ hours.  Stories of a Hero was played live for the first time that night.  Killer. I also saw Frank in Boston in 1987 and it was one of the greatest guitar shows I have EVER seen.  It was the first time I ever saw him play Poppy. Frank is a freakin' genius and one of the all time best axe players ever.

This cd is getting better and better! Great job on the recording company! Soitslikethis, thatnks for the heads up on the dvd info of Frank. I will be looking for it and if you happen to get any info as to when it will be released let us know!
MikeT, This is definetly his best live show that I have heard. I have read somewhere on line that Frank rarely ever practices!! When he is ready to do a tour or a show, he does some light rehearsing and thats it!! OMG! Thats incredible.

Rob

zosozep7 wrote:

MikeT, This is definetly his best live show that I have heard.
Rob

Yes the sound and production are indeed awesome.. When I saw Frank perform "Stories of a Hero" live in NYC last year dedicated to the young men in Iraq there were some tears around me, it was that moving, very poignant lyrics. I hope to interview Frank hopefully in regard to a DVD release in the near future. Meantime you can get some info about the upcoming re-issue of his very first three albums here in my column:

http://www.alloutguitar.com/feature/col … hite_north

Cheers

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

Let us know how the interview goes Mike! Also if you can get a date of the dvd release!

Rob

MikeT wrote:

One of the very best live releases by any one in quite some time.  Stories of a Hero is my favorite.  I went to Montreal in 2000 to see Frank play for the first time in years.  He came out and said that he and the band had only rehearsed their set once for about a couple of hours.  They went on to play for 3+ hours.  Stories of a Hero was played live for the first time that night.  Killer. I also saw Frank in Boston in 1987 and it was one of the greatest guitar shows I have EVER seen.  It was the first time I ever saw him play Poppy. Frank is a freakin' genius and one of the all time best axe players ever.

Mike, I am listening to Poppy right now and I really enjoy it! The thing is though is he is playing the solo to the Doors light My Fire with his own little twist! Have you noticed this? This thing is just awesome! It sounds alot like the Allman Bros also. I have been a Frank fan for years and I can honestly say that being that this is the first album Ive heard in a long time, Framk has defiently matured as a guitar player! Hes not just wailing on that thing and actually playing it. Whoa!!!! Nows hes playing a part from the Allman Bros! LOL! Anyways, Frank I notice is playing alot of jazz wriffs also. Now hes doing Shes not there. I really love this cd. Best money Ive spent since I bought The Muggs cd!

Rob

zosozep7 wrote:
MikeT wrote:

Mike, I am listening to Poppy right now and I really enjoy it! The thing is though is he is playing the solo to the Doors light My Fire with his own little twist! Have you noticed this? This thing is just awesome! It sounds alot like the Allman Bros also. I have been a Frank fan for years and I can honestly say that being that this is the first album Ive heard in a long time, Framk has defiently matured as a guitar player! Hes not just wailing on that thing and actually playing it. Whoa!!!! Nows hes playing a part from the Allman Bros! LOL! Anyways, Frank I notice is playing alot of jazz wriffs also. Now hes doing Shes not there. I really love this cd. Best money Ive spent since I bought The Muggs cd!

Rob

zosozep,

You heard right , that is a little taste of The Doors in there, and also the Allman Brothers. He also gets into She's Not There on the Live album version of Poppy.
When you see him live there is no telling what he will throw in there when playing Poppy. It always becomes a medly, with Poppy being the base song.
And as Mike said the first three Mahogany Rush albums were remastered, by Frank himself by the way. And will be released next week. I am sure they will be up for sale at his website but you can also get them right here  http://www.justin-time.com/  , that is the link to his record company's website.

Folks check out my cool interview with Frank here:

http://www.alloutguitar.com/interview/a … ng_the_axe

Enjoy!!!!

Hey Mike, thanks for sharing this with us! I will read when I get more time as it looks to be lengthy.

Rob

Excellent album, and anyone that has the opportunity to see Frank live do not hesitate in the slightest in doing so. One of the all time guitar greats. He gives all, no matter how many are in the audience. I remember seeing Frank in a club one time and after around a half hour, the place pretty much cleared out(go figure, there's no accounting for taste) and even though there were perhaps 20 people left(myself included), he proceeded to play for another 3 hours, only stopping when he was utterly exhausted, then had to drive 300 miles to get to the next gig the next night. Frank lives for the music, and it shows.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Hey guys!

I have not yet heard Frank Marino's music.

What should I start with?

I just read his bio and the legend of the Hendrix spirit in him or whatever - still sounds cool to me.

From the JB message board I got turned on to these:
I listened to Anthony Gomez, Philip Sayce, David Gogo, etc and I lose my attention span. Rory Gallagher and Robin Trower are pretty good though and hoping FM's sound is more conistent with that.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Hey guys!

I just read his bio and the legend of the Hendrix spirit in him or whatever - still sounds cool to me.

I listened to Anthony Gomez, Philip Sayce, David Gogo, etc and I lose my attention span. Rory Gallagher and Robin Trower are pretty good though and hoping FM's sound is more conistent with that.

If you dig Trower, you should definitely dig Frank. If you haven't heard any of his music, you can check some out here :

http://www.myspace.com/frankmarinoandmahoganyrush

Or you can go here :

http://www.mahoganyrush.com/

Click on the MP3 player, where you can listen to all of Frank's albums streamed in full. Check out the live ones, and as for the studio albums, perhaps 'Mahogany Rush IV' or 'Tales Of The Unexpected' would be good places to start in my opinion.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Hey guys!

I would start with Real Live!! Dont get much better than that!

Rob

thanks,  is his stuff on Itunes at all?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

thanks,  is his stuff on Itunes at all?

Go to his site it is all there on a jukebox.....

http://www.mahoganyrush.com/albums.htm

Enjoy!!!

Hi Rob,

Real Live is an outstanding example of Franks talent. After I got it I found out it was recorded in 2001, but the live show I saw in Oct. sounded like a carbon copy of the 5 year old CD. Like my buddy Matt said before we saw Frank, "the guys a machine!" It's definitely a good starting point.

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint