Topic: Live @ Rockpalast DVD brief review

Just got the DVD after being amazed at Joes Blackpool show.
The DVD is excellent bringin back many memories of last weeks concert.
Mountain time is still my favourite track, I think that says I am not a Blues fanatic but Joes playin is so varied and entertaining I sat there enthralled through the whole DVD show.
Hope Joe goes on to make it big time as he so deserves.
The sound is not fantastic but a reduction in BASS and increasing the treble on my
Cambridge Amp reduced the BASS vibration and muddy sound on my Tannoy Speakers.
Best money ive spent in ages and will be off to HMV this weekend to purchase some CD's.
Cant wait for the Radio 2 show and am spreading the word about Joe as much as I can.
In comparison I think I prefer the new band but both are FB

Regards Ian G0FYD

Re: Live @ Rockpalast DVD brief review

Hi Ian

Hope you find the CDs in Blackpool.
I have all of them but bought them either at one of the gigs or when I was away on business in London.
I think the only one of Joes CDs I have seen anywhere near you was in HMV in Preston recently - You and Me.

I listen to them all lots - can you wear out a CD ? - but I still find so it's like that to be my favourite - where Mountain Time can be found of course.

I listened to my Rokpalast DVD at the same time you were watching Joe in Blackpool on the 1000 watt Panasonic surround sound system. Well good I'll tell you. smile

GES

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like my trip could be wasted.
You and Me is certainly going to be my first choice CD.
Yes the DVD is fab only had 1 play so far (Soon to be 2, the big test is what the wife thinks tonight.) She heard a few glimpses last night and said hes good, considering her music taste is errrrrrrr a little poppy that was quite a compliment.
Never listened to music in surround sound, thought that was more for movies.
The Audio could be a  lot cleaner but the quality of the music more than makes up for the audio deficiences.
Pity no acoustic set on the DVD but we always complain about something.
Will also try MUSICZONE at the far end of hounds hill.
GES do you find patrking a pain in the preverbials in town.
Every time I visit its like a major expedition.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

Preston or Blackpool ??

I rarely go to Blackpool so don't really know.

Preston - Never usually a problem but I don't park in the St Georges as it's chokka back on the street and Fishergate is usually full on Saturdays. I tend to find somewhere off Friargate. Guild Hall park is usually OK.

Good luck with the search !!

Ges.

GES

Sorry I thought you were nearer Blackpool.
So maybe I do have good chance of picking up a CD or 2.
I live in South Shore.

Thanks for the replies.

Ian

Hi Ian,

HMV Liverpool : You & Me
                        Blues Deluxe
                        New day Yesterday
                        New Day Yesterday Live
                        And on import:
                         Had To Cry Today @ a staggering £21.99
                        ( all in the blues section )

VIRGIN Liverpool : Zilch.

So , hope you end up with a Liverpool HMV & not a Liverpool VIRGIN , in Blackpool , did i really say that .

HMV  are usually pretty good if you want to order stuff , even imports , but there are cheaper ways , but let us know if MUSICZONE have a reasonably priced Had To Cry Today , haven't seen So It's Like That anywhere .

Good luck,
                 Jeff

Have you tried Amazon for Joe CDs?  Saves trying to park as well!

Hi Jeff with a J

Just got back from Blackpool, parking was ok being a Fri early morning.

No Joe at Musiczone

HMV in the Folk/Blues Section

You & Me (10)
Blues Deluxe (13)
New day Yesterday (13)

Played You and me full smoke on the way back in the car up to track 4.
Got in loaded the amp, next minute neighbour came rushing round saying can you turn it down I am about to sell my house in 5 mins LOL. Shes really nice so had to oblige.
The gods are against me.

Regards Ian

Lyn

Yes I have link to Amazon but like a  big kid I had to have some this weekend and I love mooching.

Regards Ian

Jane

Yes I tried the store and it seemed a bit glitchy but was too imaptient to order on line.
I would think on line ordering from the shop is more profitable for JOE.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian ,
             Thanks for the musiczone response , thought it might be a no go . Sounds like you'll be having a good weekend then . You do of course realise that by turning the music down you may have lost yourself a nice neighbour , haha . Do the potential buyers know what they're letting themselves in for ! You'll have to hope your system is louder than theirs . If you want to keep the peace , a good set of headphones is a sound investment ( ouch! )
Happy listening ,
                        regards , Jeff

12 (edited by Ges 2006-10-13 16:30:44)

g0fyd wrote:

GES

Yes the DVD is fab only had 1 play so far (Soon to be 2, the big test is what the wife thinks tonight.) She heard a few glimpses last night and said hes good, considering her music taste is errrrrrrr a little poppy that was quite a compliment.
Regards Ian

So Ian................what did she think ??

My wife thought Joe was really good at Blackpool. She still went even though I was laid up. I took her to see Kate Rusby as well on the Sunday before at the Charter Theatre in Preston. I think I'm spoiling her wink

Now she's up for seeing Walter Trout at Fleetwood at the end of the month smile Bring it on !!

g0fyd wrote:

Hi Jeff with a J

Just got back from Blackpool, parking was ok being a Fri early morning.

Played You and me full smoke on the way back in the car up to track 4.
Got in loaded the amp, next minute neighbour came rushing round saying can you turn it down I am about to sell my house in 5 mins LOL. Shes really nice so had to oblige.
The gods are against me.

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

Do you mean you playing the guitar or you playing Joe CD ?
If it's the former, the woman clearly has no taste !! You're better off without her wink

If it's the latter.................errrrrr..................same wink

Ges

The CD.it was only a temporary blip with the volume.
Ive just borrowed my mates beat up Ibanez guitar which plays really nicely.
Since Ive seen Joe, the guitar playing has gone backwards. I know when i'm beaten.

Regards Ian

Ges wrote:
g0fyd wrote:

GES

Regards Ian

So Ian................what did she think ??

My wife thought Joe was really good at Blackpool. She still went even though I was laid up. I took her to see Kate Rusby as well on the Sunday before at the Charter Theatre in Preston. I think I'm spoiling her wink

Now she's up for seeing Walter Trout at Fleetwood at the end of the month smile Bring it on !!

I've seen Walter Trout three times and never got it.
I was expected the same with Jo but oh what a suprise.
My wife is more of a soft rock fan so will take some persuading. She hates anything too loud which causes a fair amount of friction in this household.

Regards Ian

jeff wrote:

Hi Ian ,
             Thanks for the musiczone response , thought it might be a no go . Sounds like you'll be having a good weekend then . You do of course realise that by turning the music down you may have lost yourself a nice neighbour , haha . Do the potential buyers know what they're letting themselves in for ! You'll have to hope your system is louder than theirs . If you want to keep the peace , a good set of headphones is a sound investment ( ouch! )
Happy listening ,
                        regards , Jeff

Jeff

I try and stay away from the phones. I value whats left of my hearing.
There nice to use now and again. Infact ive just checked my newish amp and theres no Phono Jack on it,thats disappointing.
Music zone can be quite good now and agn but vy limited choice.

Regards Ian

Found the major UK music stores a total waste of time.
Buy my cd's and dvd's on Amazon uk. (not .com as thats yankee curency and snail mail) amazon uk is quicker to deliver but does not always have out of isssue american bands such as Chris Aaron Band etc. (worth looking up on the net Cory Sterling ex KWS was with them-where is he now?
Good selection and far better priced than uk stores.
Use credit or debit card.
First found Joe on grooveyardrecords.com but bought from amazon.co.uk
Amazon give short clips to listen to but I use myspace nowadays to listen to full track if the artist has a myspace page.
Found myspace when looking up Eric Czar, he even emailed me a reply, same evening.
Just themed my myspace page to circa 1969 when I was 21.
Lots of vids from youtube of bands from that era if your interested.
myspace.com/daddy5strings
Not sure how long till I return to 21st century.
Having seen Joe 3 times in one year I'm afraid the novelty is wearing off.
Feel he needs to slow down and become more creative rather than covering my generations numbers.
Still think he is a superstar in the making but we need to hear more of HIM.

"The blues had a baby and they called it Rock n Roll"
(Muddy Waters)

daddy5strings wrote:

Found the major UK music stores a total waste of time.
Buy my cd's and dvd's on Amazon uk. (not .com as thats yankee curency and snail mail) amazon uk is quicker to deliver but does not always have out of isssue american bands such as Chris Aaron Band etc. (worth looking up on the net Cory Sterling ex KWS was with them-where is he now?
Good selection and far better priced than uk stores.
Use credit or debit card.
First found Joe on grooveyardrecords.com but bought from amazon.co.uk
Amazon give short clips to listen to but I use myspace nowadays to listen to full track if the artist has a myspace page.
Found myspace when looking up Eric Czar, he even emailed me a reply, same evening.
Just themed my myspace page to circa 1969 when I was 21.
Lots of vids from youtube of bands from that era if your interested.
myspace.com/daddy5strings
Not sure how long till I return to 21st century.
Having seen Joe 3 times in one year I'm afraid the novelty is wearing off.
Feel he needs to slow down and become more creative rather than covering my generations numbers.
Still think he is a superstar in the making but we need to hear more of HIM.

I am not so sure that he needs to change a great deal.
Listening to his albums I think he is very creative and I love his covers, they need to get played more which is really difficult in todays market
The quality of his recordings is first class.
Maybe he needs one absolute stunning track to increase his publicity.
There is something different about him. I just love that sound and variation in his music, always keeps your attention. The one thing surprised me about seeing him live was just how entertaining the evening was, considering I had not hrd a single track prior to the concert.
I have been to many concerts of pure blues guitarists and thought they sound very samey.
Its all be done b4
Commercially being pure blues can be limiting
I realise that you have listened to Joe  for many years and my prospective is from a Bonavirgin.
I know we both wish him further success.

Ian