1 (edited by Nightfly 2006-09-29 08:32:17)

Topic: Tone Question

Does any one know what effects he used on the You and ME CD. I'm particularly keen to know what the modulation effect is he's was using, it stands out the most on the 'tea for one' solos. Its sounds almost like a chorus/uni-vibe hybrid, too rich for a chorus but too shallow for a Leslie. Any ideas?

Re: Tone Question

Here is a link to Robert Keeleys web site. Joe uses these pedals. http://www.robertkeeley.com/friends.php
It says in his pamphlet in You and Me what all his gear is. Keeley and Line 6 pedals.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

is his Pamphlet visible in the web ? cos i can't find it.

Not that Im aware of. You should buy the cd because its well worth the money!! The pamphlet opens up to a small poster like thing and it has about 15 to 20 differentb guitars he uses but they are not pictured. Its really a pretty cool lay out. Buy it!! Check out that site I mentioned earlier. Robert Keeley is a reknown pedal maker and you can probably find some info there about Joes pedals. If not, Email Mr. Keeley. Im sure he will answer you.

Rob

Nightfly wrote:

is his Pamphlet visible in the web ? cos i can't find it.

Thanks, I have all his CD's but I was hoping for a more specific answer than it gives on the sleeve . i.e He uses Keeley & Line 6. I'll try emailing Mr Keeley.

Keeley Electronics is located about 20 miles north of where I live. I was with Joe when Robert brought some pedals for him to try. Keeley's popularity has exploded in much the same way Joe's has.

I asked Joe specificly once a while ago but don't remember the entire answer. I do know he loves the compressor in the studio. The Fuzz was used with the electraslide. As has been reported he has stripped down the use of pedals on the road.

Robert is a big Joe fan and a great guy as are all the folks at Keeley.

Here is a link to the Compressor. http://www.robertkeeley.com/home.php. Trying to contact them now about Joes pedals. Will see if they respond.

Rob

Check this one out if nobody hasnt yet!!!http://www.javaboost.com/id13.html. It shows Joe using a bunch of Keeley equipment along with alot of great pics! Great shot of a pedal board!

Rob

here is the link. http://www.javaboost.com/id13.html

I was looking for that page. He met up with Keeley that day at a local guitar store ran by a friend of mine. That was a fly in show in Feb. 2004. The since retired plexi shield with the Always On The Road decal is pictured. That was the first show he used that shield. It was made up for that series of dates and ended up traveling with Joe for almost 2 years. It has retired to where it originated. The new shield is hinged in the middle. Joe had just done a Blues in the School and was looking forward to meeting Keeley.

Nightfly, I just got an email from Keeley and this is what he had to say about Joes pedals.

Howdy sir!
Thanks for your interest!  Joe seems to use the Keeley pedals more often in the studio than on the road…or at least it appears that way.  I know he uses the compressor and he has used both the Java Boost and Fuzz Head live.  He also has a DS-1, TS808 of ours and a DD-3 we modded if I’m not mistaken.  It is hard to say for sure anymore since we have given him pedals over a few years.

I hope that helps,  you can also check out my web site www.javaboost.com for pictures of the first time we met and him testing our some effects then.

Thanks so much for your interest!

Robert

Keeley Electronics, Inc.

6400 Industrial Blvd.

Edmond, OK 73034

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember a Fulltone Deja-Vibe on his pedalboard on the ANDY Live DVD.  I don't know if he still uses that, but it's basically a uni-vibe and it gives the sound you're talking about on Tea For One.  I don't know which pedal exactly, but it's probably either the Keeley or the Fulltone.

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I have a Deja Vibe 2 and i love it!! Trower, Gilmore, Hendrix feel!!

Rob

kwsjb1238 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember a Fulltone Deja-Vibe on his pedalboard on the ANDY Live DVD.  I don't know if he still uses that, but it's basically a uni-vibe and it gives the sound you're talking about on Tea For One.  I don't know which pedal exactly, but it's probably either the Keeley or the Fulltone.

Scott

Thats the answer I wanted .. Thanks.

Nightfly, my Fulltone Deja Vibe 2 is a uni vibe with two switches for vibrato/chorus and the other is Modern/vintage. In all honest, I dont think this is what he used in Tea For One. I am only saying this with my experience with my pedal and I use it quite often. Correct me if Im wrong though. I may not be using it properly.

Rob

Nightfly wrote:

Thats the answer I wanted .. Thanks.

You talking that one or one just like it. I believe Joe had one at one time. That one pictured with Keeley and Joe was owned by Rocky Athas and now Keeley owns it.