Topic: John Mayer DVD

Just took delivery of this amazing DVD..."Where The Light Is". What a great guitar player and singer he's become. Truly fantastic touch, feel, emotion, timing....you just have to see this. I've always enjoyed John Mayers material but this, for me, places him in my top 5 guitarists list. Do yourself a favour and grab a copy ASAP!

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Re: John Mayer DVD

I really need to pick up one of his cd's soon...not sure if I've ever heard him before. yikes

I've heard a lot of good things about him...back to amazon.com shortly.

If heartaches were nickels
I'd be the richest fool alive

You won't be wasting your money Mindy....I promise.

I don't have the DVD, but I am a big fan of John Mayer. I do have his Austin City Limits show saved on Tivo. I also thought he was great at Crossroads. I think he was unfairly labeled a "pop" artist. I saw an interview where he said he had to play the songs the fans wanted to hear and was limited in his freedom to play. I'm sure that has changed now. A real Fender man with lots of soul.                     Cathy

Roy, if you don't like it I will personally give you your money back.

Geoff

BluesMan wrote:
gsj wrote:

You won't be wasting your money Mindy....I promise.

Really, that good Geoff?

Roy

6 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2008-07-06 16:49:45)

cathysiler wrote:

I think he was unfairly labeled a "pop" artist. I saw an interview where he said he had to play the songs the fans wanted to hear and was limited in his freedom to play.    Cathy

In regards to his above quote BS to John Mayer.

Nothing to do with you Cathy.  He's just BS and people should know that was the path he chose.  He knew what game he was playing.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

7 (edited by gsj 2008-07-06 17:16:22)

I don't like labels......if it's good, it's good....you can call it what you like but if it helps.....yeah, he was 'pop' (just means popular as far as I know) but the guy has far more substance now. Take a look at the DVD and tell me I'm wrong.

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
cathysiler wrote:

I think he was unfairly labeled a "pop" artist. I saw an interview where he said he had to play the songs the fans wanted to hear and was limited in his freedom to play.    Cathy

Nothing to do with you Cathy.  He's just BS and people should know that was the path he chose.  He knew what game he was playing.

gsj wrote:

I don't like labels......if it's good, it's good....you can call it what you like but if it helps.....yeah, he was 'pop' (just means popular as far as I know) but the guy has far more substance now. Take a look at the DVD and tell me I'm wrong.

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
cathysiler wrote:

I'll look at it if you say.  I've always suspected there was more to him than...

Yeah he knew what he was doing or his handlers did.  The people have spoken.

sobeit
fdol

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

No offense taken. I don't think he loses points for any of his music. If he had it planned then extra points for business savy. I agree, I don't care what you call music. Grunt and snort, but I liked "Gravity".  Plus, now he has Jennifer Aniston (Bye bye Jessica). Sounds like he's on a winning streak. More power to him.  Cathy

its really good...a ton of blues tunes and blues guitar driven stuff, hendrix covers etc...its great. totally worth it.  its over 2 and a half hours.

11 (edited by Deezer 2008-07-06 21:55:54)

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
cathysiler wrote:

He played the game that he needed to play. Nothing wrong with that. One of the most brilliant songwriters of this generation. And a very good guitarist as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6k6GKHedHw

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Just don't lie about it.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

the guy is absolutely brilliant.  Aside from being a fantastic blues guitarist who is well steeped in the blues tradition, he is a great singer and an amazing songwriter.   You may knock his pop material, but when it comes down to it, those early records are brilliant.  They all have complex chord structures, guitar parts and lyrical devices.  Though they may seem like bubble gum pop, there are very few people who can write music like that, its not easy.  He is the ONLY guy (not Joe B., not KWS, not Los Lonley Boys), the ONLY guy under the age of 60 who can do a tour of the US playing huge stadiums, arenas and amphitheaters working blues music and blues guitar into the set.  I recently just saw him live and he places tunes like "Crossroads" into the set, along with his pop hits.  By making the pop records, he is allowing a whole new generation of youth to learn about the blues tradition, and who guys like Buddy Guy, B.B. King and Stevie Ray Vaughan are.  Also, Clapton went pop...and like Clapton, Mayer always lets the blues ring prevalent in his material.  He is a great musician, and anybody who judges him based on his pop material doesn't understand that it is part of his message and his art.

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

Just don't lie about it.

I agree, but we don't KNOW that.

orIdon't
justbestguess

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Vette335 wrote:

the guy is absolutely brilliant.  Aside from being a fantastic blues guitarist who is well steeped in the blues tradition, he is a great singer and an amazing songwriter.   You may knock his pop material, but when it comes down to it, those early records are brilliant.  They all have complex chord structures, guitar parts and lyrical devices.  Though they may seem like bubble gum pop, there are very few people who can write music like that, its not easy.  He is the ONLY guy (not Joe B., not KWS, not Los Lonley Boys), the ONLY guy under the age of 60 who can do a tour of the US playing huge stadiums, arenas and amphitheaters working blues music and blues guitar into the set.  I recently just saw him live and he places tunes like "Crossroads" into the set, along with his pop hits.  By making the pop records, he is allowing a whole new generation of youth to learn about the blues tradition, and who guys like Buddy Guy, B.B. King and Stevie Ray Vaughan are.  Also, Clapton went pop...and like Clapton, Mayer always lets the blues ring prevalent in his material.  He is a great musician, and anybody who judges him based on his pop material doesn't understand that it is part of his message and his art.

John Mayer is talented.  I'm not taking anything away from that.  But John Mayer judges himself on his own "pop" Material. Don't pretend your better than your pop records and fans now when that is what got you where you are now. He's gamin you.  He started with Blues and Stevie Ray Vaughan was his biggest influence.  He didn't just get into Blues.   As for his singing that leaves alot to be desired, not a great vocalist at all.  In regards to playing big stadiums,  If it was the 70's, Joe would be playing them, not John Mayer. Unfortunately in today's music, the crap rises to the top and the great musicians don't get recognized. I'm not including John Mayer as crap but John's fame is alot easier today than he would have had it in the 70's.  He would have too much mainstream competition in the 70's to be where he is at now.  John Mayer only got where he is now because there is not alot of mainstream guitar players, so he stands out.  I appreciate some of his songs and his guitar playing but they are not my type of blues.  His Blues are more cerebral. That's great he's bringing younger people the blues, he self-annointed himself as the only one who can do it.  I just hope they dig deeper than him for the blues.

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

That's great he's bringing younger people the blues, he self-annointed himself as the only one who can do it.  I just hope they dig deeper than him for the blues.

He DID do that, didn't he?  Self-annointed....great term, Cat.  I just hope John's younger fans dig at all!  I've always said that I don't think John's primarily younger fan base cares a bit about who or what his influences are.  They LIKE the "pop John."  That's who they want to hear.

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
Vette335 wrote:

John Mayer is talented.  I'm not taking anything away from that.  But John Mayer judges himself on his own "pop" Material. Don't pretend your better than your pop records and fans now when that is what got you where you are now. He's gamin you.  He started with Blues and Stevie Ray Vaughan was his biggest influence.  He didn't just get into Blues.   As for his singing that leaves alot to be desired, not a great vocalist at all.  In regards to playing big stadiums,  If it was the 70's, Joe would be playing them, not John Mayer. Unfortunately in today's music, the crap rises to the top and the great musicians don't get recognized. I'm not including John Mayer as crap but John's fame is alot easier today than he would have had it in the 70's.  He would have too much mainstream competition in the 70's to be where he is at now.  John Mayer only got where he is now because there is not alot of mainstream guitar players, so he stands out.  I appreciate some of his songs and his guitar playing but they are not my type of blues.  His Blues are more cerebral. That's great he's bringing younger people the blues, he self-annointed himself as the only one who can do it.  I just hope they dig deeper than him for the blues.

Well said and point taken.  I've long ago decided to not be bitter about musicians gaming on people.

ithappens
doneittoo

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

18 (edited by Deezer 2008-07-07 13:49:39)

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:

Just don't lie about it.

He's not.

Besides, that's not the point. If the music is good, the playing is good, the songs are good, that's all that matters. All that matters. That's why I can listen to a crazy pompous idiot like Ted Nugent. The music matters, and that's all.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends