Topic: Sloe Lane

Picture This ........

Here's a funny one that happened on the way home tonight .... Have been working away in London this past month Refurbishing Merton College in Morden South London ( that's about 1 mile from The Boom Boom Club in Sutton .... Yeah Joe That Place ! ) and about 3 miles from the wimbledon tennis tournament .
Our Construction company is spreading out further afield into Bigger contracts and Projects .... Anyway 7 of us set out at 05:00 am every weekday morning for the 2 hour or so 70 mile drive to London to arrive for a 7:30 am Start " wtf ed ! " everyone is shattered at the stupid o'clock leaving time , but you's take the rough with the smooth sometimes in life , the job consists of part college demolition and stripping out existing structures for new modern replacement , we have a good laugh and the Actual job is fine and will finish on time before the college re-opens in September .... by the way the underground electrical and water services are being replaced , so that means Copper and Bright-Wire a Plenty .... Copper = £3200 ($6000) @ Ton and Brightwire cable = £4000 ($7800) a ton .... we never acquired those dizzy amounts but made a handsome transaction with the scrap metal merchants , with yours truly doing the van run there loading and unloading and bartering " well nominated by my work pals "
Well tonight (friday) as we left London and headed back to Margate Kent , we thought we'd stop and purchase some refreshments for the long busy trip home , so with our hard earned Scrap Metal Bonus bought 4 x 6 packs of Magners Cider ( Back Door Slam's Favourite Tipple ) Kronenburg , Budweiser and Fosters enough for a thirst quenching session ........... Now we've all been bringing in a CD to listen to on Home Journey only for some entertainment , some of my Mates have a varied taste .... Some nights we've had Bob Marley ( reggee yea man ) and Duran Duran and even Eagles " long road out of eden " ... but i got 'em all singing " Long Road outta Morden" LOL ..... But thats a great track .... and one young apprentice brought in some Garage music 2 step .. he'll be gettin' a written warning in the post
Anyway This Friday Twas my turn ..... No Guesses who i chose , but i decided i'll introduce them to Sloe Gin , most of 'em had heard me talk about Joe and i thought it was the perfect cd for friday homeward trip , ......... so the drinks are flowing and the conversation is loud and boisterous builders style ... all the pretty young ladies in cars and at traffic lights are acknowledged  ....... Well as you leave London you hit The M25 Motorway ( Freeway ) This is one of the busiests roads on the planet , it circles London all the way round like a 3 laned car park , just Trillions of Cars every second ....... anyways we crawl onto M25 and i pops in Sloe Gin into the CD Player and off we go .... the traffic is bumper to bumper and we,re drinking in this hot van with the windows rolled down and i'm turning up " One of These Days" and watching and hearing their reactions ... don't think they really really care they're drinking and going home on a friday night
it's a very good pioneer cd player in this new citroen mini bus and i'm turning it up .... on comes SLOE GIN Loud and i think it's got their attention .... well the traffic is at a standstill with the windows open and its hot .... and PICTURE THIS !    It comes to the bit in Sloe Gin when the Sirens Wail in .. So i Crank it Right up So Loud ( it's loud ) .... And everyone starts laughing in the van .... but not only that ! Cars in front start parting aside thinking that a police car is coming through and everyone screams go for it , so sloe gin sirens are wailing and all the lads are wailing with drinks in their hand out of the windows as we crawl pass through the busiest road anywhere waving at stunned people in their cars looking at us in disbelief with the power of joe and i have to keep rewinding back to keep the siren continuous , we made up about 100 yards .... but it was fun and the feel good factor in the bus got some converts

.................................. Michael in the Sloe Lane

C.H.I.P.S  ( Can't Help I'm Playing SloeGin )  wink

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Re: Sloe Lane

You're a right little Arthur Daley, intya? Do what my son? Leave it ahht, turn it in.....12 bob, you're 'avin a larf, this is proper schmutter..........:D

Nice story, Michael. I could picture it.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Fantastic.
Aren't Fridays great !!

When are we going to get the bumper stickers

"It's Joe Bonamassa"

I've been up to Carlisle today working and the M6 was closed.
A poor woman was killed in a car crash.
Sure makes you think how fragile it all is.

Amsterhammer wrote:

You're a right little Arthur Daley, intya? Do what my son? Leave it ahht, turn it in.....12 bob, you're 'avin a larf, this is proper schmutter..........:D

Nice story, Michael. I could picture it.

Flemish is such a difficult language wink

Ges wrote:

It certainly is. Thank God we speak Dutch. big_smile

RIP Iron Man

Amsterhammer wrote:
Ges wrote:

Sorry A

Didn't know they were different.
What's Flemish then ??

Was in Belgium a few years ago and stayed in Brussels where French is spoken.
Went to Brugge not knowing that the language was most definately not French and was scolded by a waitress for asking for drinks in French !!

Ges wrote:
Amsterhammer wrote:
Ges wrote:

Sorry A

Didn't know they were different.
What's Flemish then ??

Was in Belgium a few years ago and stayed in Brussels where French is spoken.
Went to Brugge not knowing that the language was most definately not French and was scolded by a waitress for asking for drinks in French !!

With apologies to Michael for temporarily hijacking his story.....the written language is essentially the same in Flanders and in Holland and is known as 'Dutch', though certain words are different in the spoken languages, like 'boot/trunk' or 'bonnet/hood'. Flemish is Belgian Dutch. The spoken language especially can sound very different and both groups tend to poke fun at the idiosyncrasies of the other.

RIP Iron Man

OMG Michael!! That became an animation in my brain and I had a huge laugh!!! You couldn't do that in the States!!! It also reminded me of how that siren scared the,..... well you know....Thanks for the "good" belly ache.

And Geoff..YES!! Bumper Stickers!!!! PLEASE!!!!!                          Cathy

Excellent story Michael. Don't forget that written warning for the young whippersnapper!!

Tripsy  smile

Great story, Michael.  You didn't try that on the "pretty young ladies" also, did you?

Roddawg

Great story Michael.
Can picture it very well. wink