Topic: Sheffield Boardwalk 24 Sept

Drove the 100 miles to see Joe at Sheffield on an unseasonably warm Sunday evening.
Passing the venue on the way to park the car saw that the SOLD OUT signs were already up. Good job I had bought tickets the instant they were available smile At the gig with my 19 YO son and a friend who had never heard of Joe (apart from me telling him loads of times!!) It's the third time I have seen Joe but still had to go and stand at the front of the stage - when you get the chance to see your music hero you don't want to stand at the back do you !! Great to see there were a group of young (18/19ish ??) guys also at the front and obviously up for a great night along with other young right through to older people. Great music is universal after all !!

Support band were an exciting more rock than blues three piece Stone Sole River. A guy on the merchandise stall told me we wouldn't be disappointed with them - and he was smack on the button. Really enjoyed their very tight set of original numbers and my son and I agreed that we would buy the CD at the end of the gig - which we did. The band were at the desk chatting to the crowd at the end ala Joe and signed the said CD. Many thanks guys - it's great when bands take time out to meet the cheering arm wavers. Haven't had time to listen to the CD but I'm really looking forward to it (long drive south tomorrow. Methinks the M6 will hear the results ;-)
The guys had a great raport with the audience and asked if we were looking forward to seeing Joe. Guess what the response was!!
These guys deserve a plug here - so check out their website www.stonesoleriver.com

Just a short wait while the stage was rearranged and the great moment arrived. Bogie belting out that awsome beat, the bass nicely cooking along and an unseen Joe gently playing some tantalising sounds. To a great cheer, Joe appeared from the left of the stage and into Taking the Hit. Even alcohol free (driving!!) I couldn't help but jump up and punch the air.................probably not on my own. The night was so exciting I can't remember the whole set list but it was a constant bombardment of high octane full on JB. I particularly remember Mountain Time starting and trying to tell my mate it was one of my favourite songs whilst trying to keep the raised hairs on my neck under control !! It seemed there may have been a slight tuning problem which was unfortunate with such a tender opening few bars - but I think that was unsurprising in the now rising mega heat. However, all was good.
The band really seemed to be having a great time. I love it when Bogie flashes a genuine smile - which he did often - I guess it meant real enjoyment. I wonder how bands can keep such enthusiasm and energy up when they play night after night the almost same set to different people but I think this band genuinely loves every single minute - I guess with the quality of the music, that's not as difficult as I first thought.

Joe was communicating with the audience a great deal  -which again I think reflects the fun they were having. Standing at the front I could see the little glances and smiles that he was giving to us during some of the playful guitar phrases. Incredible with a capital F !! He had me laughing when during a Freddie Mercury like sing along during Burning Hell he stopped to tell us that the band sing 13 songs every night of every week of every year of every decade and all he was asking us to do was sing 4 lines. We had to raise the volume level of our singing back !! Temendous music awsome atmosphere and great fun. Joe kept coming right to the very edge of the stage so you (ie the lucky ones at the front) could see every note fretted in great detail which was simply brilliant. The guitar was within strummable distance. No rock star aloofness with our man.
The music seemed to get louder about halfway through the set and maybe sometimes it seemed that the PA was pushing the absolute limits of its performance. My left ear is still ringing as I type this !!
I saw Joe at the same venue in February and he said that there were 125 people in that night and last night there were 405 - full house. Is this the time Joe is about to become more than a "secret" ?

Joe introduced a "real cute chick"  (sorry for the poor cliche - no sexism intended - but she was !!) onto the stage to play one song with the band. He was playing a blonde Gibbson 335 (??) at this stage, which was apt given the ladys hair ;-) I didn't get her name when Joe introduced her (Chantelle ?? - anyone know ?) but she sure has some....err.....balls to play with the band from a cold start when the band were cooking !! Well done there then. At one point she was looking at Joe in the same way I look at my guitar teacher when his fingers disappear into an unfathomable blur and he says "now you" My admiration goes out to her...........and my sheer unbridalled envy for playing a few licks in front of an appreciative audience with the master.

Joe played a solo accoustic spot half way through the set on the Takamine I think which totally and utterly delivered and more. Besides the sheer musical genius the actual physical demands must be tremendous for such a performance.

I met a really nice guy in the audience who had travelled from Hull for the gig and had never seen Joe before and we were chatting between the two bands. We were both impressed by the SSR spot but I told him that he was in for a real treat in the couple of hours to come. I think he was suitably impressed. Another convert !!

There were flashes of other peoples music through the night - Spoonful was aired and towards the end a play around with Led Zeps Dazed and Confused where Joe showed the real meaning of spanking the plank !!

Joe told the audience that he never thought he would be in a bar in Sheffield drinking a pint of Guinness and seeing a guy in a Joe Bonamassa tee shirt, and that it was "really cool" I wonder if they really know how popular they are with the music loving public. Anyway, I'll be wearing my JB teeshirt at the Blackpool gig - maybe that will be cool too cool

Thanks for the Blackpool gig Joe - it means that my 14 YO son can see you. I booked tickets already and the club owner told me that it probably wasn't neccessary as they are a sizable venue and probably wouldn't get sold out. On the evidence of last night in Sheffield - I'm not so sure !! Here's hoping.

Thanks for a great gig. I'm sure there were many JB converts made on this tour.

Re: Sheffield Boardwalk 24 Sept

Thanks for the review......I had to jump up and punch the air just reading it!

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Hello Ges, great write up, sounds like another awesome performance.  Had to drive 100 miles!  Way to go...

Music is good for the Soul...

Gee, I don't remember crossing the pond, but your review, Ges, sure made me feel like I was at that gig in Sheffield!

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...

Hi Ges,
I'm glad to read your...shout it from the rooftops feeling about the show...I think the English have a bad reputation for being unemotional and bottling up their feelings...it's one of the shortcomings of sterotyping...great review...cool about the younger fans and I always smile when guitar playing fans leave a Joe concert and say the same thing...I have to practice harder!!!

Do you know if the Cavern still exists in Liverpool?  I need to get myself to Liverpool someday soon.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Hi Angela

Great to be back on the forum smile
The Cavern does still exist and is likely to for some time to come as I believe it has received listed status. Don't know if you have a similar thing in the States but listing is a sort of restriction placed on buildings to stop them being altered due to some historical or architectural significance without the permission of the local authority.

Liverpool is a great city with a fantastic musical (and nautical) heritage.

Ges wrote:

Hi Angela

Great to be back on the forum smile
The Cavern does still exist and is likely to for some time to come as I believe it has received listed status. Don't know if you have a similar thing in the States but listing is a sort of restriction placed on buildings to stop them being altered due to some historical or architectural significance without the permission of the local authority.

Liverpool is a great city with a fantastic musical (and nautical) heritage.

Yes, in the states buildings with historical/architectural significance are also protected. Here in Chicago, we call it "landmark status" and it serves the same purpose as your listed status.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Thanks, Ges, your enthusiasm is infectious and I almost feel like I was there.  Bill S, I think you're right about a road trip to Europe, it's sounds like the perfect place to see Joe work his magic.

Hey Ges-There is a ton of historical preservation where I live based on the Revolutionary War when our two countries weren't seeing eye to eye.  A couple of houses in my town were occupied by soldiers during the war and are now owned by residents who have restrictions as to what they are allowed to change.  One historical music contribution from my town -  one of the owners of "His Masters Voice" Eldridge R. Johnson sold enough of these that he built a mansion on our Main Street. It's now a nursing home for the elderly.  http://www.thetalkingmachine.com/index.htm

So, is the Cavern open for tours or can we get Joe booked there?  Since you are enjoying Bonamania, I think some of the "chicks" might be ready for a road trip to check out historical Beatlemania!

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

My bags are packed.  smile smile smile smile smile

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

the dude wrote:

Thanks, Ges, your enthusiasm is infectious and I almost feel like I was there.  Bill S, I think you're right about a road trip to Europe, it's sounds like the perfect place to see Joe work his magic.

Hey, I was just reading the previous topic (Manchester) and there was a discussion about a euro-bonamassa trip for forum-ites. I'm seriously thinking 2008...assuming Joe's going back.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Anyone on the forum a travel agent?

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Bill S wrote:
the dude wrote:

Hey, I was just reading the previous topic (Manchester) and there was a discussion about a euro-bonamassa trip for forum-ites. I'm seriously thinking 2008...assuming Joe's going back.

That sounds a great idea. It would be fantastic to meet some of the names on the forum........we already have one huge thing in common. Co'mon over smile cool

2008 ??? .............you mean Joe's not coming back to the UK in 2007 sad ?? I guess it means we will have to think about a US Bonamassa trip from Europe. Hmmmmmmmm hmm this ties in nicely with my dream trip - being in the US and seeing JB with loads of US fans - punching the air together, swapping photos, tracks, sharing the US culture, guitar shops big_smile, the home of Gibson cool cool  I thought BB Kings place as the ultimate venue for the gig. Where would our US friends see as the ultimate place for a gig ? One with a special connection I mean rather than just a great set up or good beer ! Like seeing the Beatles in the Cavern.

I've never been to the US but I would love to come and see the real USA. Just need to find loads of $$ I guess lol

One of my other musical heros is Bill Nelson and every year for about the past four years, a weekend event is arranged by some supporters (started via the forum) where all things Nelson are celebrated. Bill is there and plays a set, videos are shown, music is played and a good time is had by all. I believe that some from US make the trip. I've not actually been myself but followed the events on the forum. I must make time to go.

Sorry about all the smilies wink

Angela wrote:

Hey Ges-There is a ton of historical preservation where I live based on the Revolutionary War when our two countries weren't seeing eye to eye.  A couple of houses in my town were occupied by soldiers during the war and are now owned by residents who have restrictions as to what they are allowed to change.  One historical music contribution from my town -  one of the owners of "His Masters Voice" Eldridge R. Johnson sold enough of these that he built a mansion on our Main Street. It's now a nursing home for the elderly.  http://www.thetalkingmachine.com/index.htm

So, is the Cavern open for tours or can we get Joe booked there?  Since you are enjoying Bonamania, I think some of the "chicks" might be ready for a road trip to check out historical Beatlemania!

Hi Angela

There's a Beatle week held in Liverpool - and I think it's actually organised by the folk who own the Cavern. Think it's 22-28 August in 07.

Web site is

www.cavern-liverpool.co.uk

One of the big hotels in Liverpool (The Adelphi) looks like it's already booked all its single rooms that week !!

There's another hotel that I know in Liverpool called the Premier Travel Inn Albert Dock (I work for the company that owns it) which is in an old refurbished typical dockside warehouse and right next door to the Beatles permanent exhibition. The area is a historical docks area which has been regenerated by refurbishing the old buildings into museums, bars, hotel, art gallery. Beatles and Liverpool heritage in one spot. The hotel is a budget hotel and within walking distance of downtown. The company operates over 470 hotels in the UK and has a website if you want to check it out.

www.premiertravelinn.com

The Cavern website says getting a gig there is easy !!
They'll even video the gig with sound from the mixing desk for £30.

Don't know how big it is though.

ges must have been right next to you,what a show. joe is an absolte guitar god.even the wife was blown away.first saw joe on a guitar dvd and was hooked ,got all the cd,s .the acoustic set was mega cnt wait for the next tour

Great review Ges....thanks for posting it. I wonder if a 'preservation order' has been placed on the building in Dallas where Robert Johnson recorded and Eric and Doyle recorded for the Clapton/Johnson DVD? I get the feeling that Eric might have bought it to prevent it from being demolished...it's the only building on the block that's still standing. Seems to be as important as The Cavern....don't you think Angela? Maybe there'll be a few venues to honour Joe in 50 years or so.....I get the feeling it'll happen.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

sorry if i'm exploding a myth here guys ,but the cavern aint the original cavern . I believe the original cavern was actually on the other side of the street ! If you want to check out up & coming young bands from Liverpool try myspace e.g Hotwire, Little Miss Strange & The Locals .

Hi MST.

I was at the left of the stage - the bloke in a white rugby shirt jumping up and down with the hair on the back of my neck standing up. Couldn't miss it. I'm lucky enough to be going to Blackpool next week and I'm taking my wife as well as my 14YO son. He's already a great JB fan and has seen him on the last tour but my wife is a JB "virgin" although she's heard all the CDs lots of time - not much choice really if you're in my car. Really looking forward to it big_smile
I think it's a new venue and only just opened a couple of weeks ago. I've checked it out on the web and it looks like a seated place with tables. How civilised. Mustn't knock any tables over wink

I was really worried that I'd permanently damaged my left ear at the Sheffield gig but it has sorted itself out now - took 4 days though. I think I'll get some plugs just in case.