Re: Jacksonville Florida 5-2-08

Upsetme wrote:

I think we just had a cup of Joe...in Plastic and Crystal....and were satisfied with both.
Tim

We sure did, Tim.  Looking forward to the next time already! big_smile

the dude wrote:
eva wrote:
the dude wrote:

I nominate this for post of the year.  Sounds like an amazing time.

You have my vote too Jeff. You´re Da Master of Haiku and of excessive Show-reviewing !
Great work! smile

Eva

Jeff reviews da Blues
Everyone listens in awe
"Blues deluxe" indeed.

And while I'm passing out the compliments, Eva your mastery of English is something to behold.  Even writing haikus in a foreign tongue.  With a little work on your slang tongue you'll be speaking better than me in no time.

Yes and thanks to you as well, for the nomination.

didn'tmeantoskipya
alllatheredupdownhere

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Upsetme wrote:

We just got back home after the Cocoa and Jax show. This was only our 2nd and 3rd time seeing Joe and each time it gets better. I see more, hear more and appreciate him and the band more.

As stated Cocoa was just a ballroom and the sound was ok given the shape of the room, but I thought the volume on Joe's mic was a bit low. It didn't matter too much, because with 2nd row center seats next to Ken and Susan, we deserve to be flamed for complaining about anything. Joe looked great and it was a good place to be up close and personal.

Last night in Jax was perfect. The Florida Theatre is sort of like a smaller version of the Fox in Atlanta. It was built in 1927 and has the styling of that era. The seats were comfy and the sound was sooo goooood. We were 10 rows back on the center aisle and from a listening standpoint it was hard to beat. There was the requisite over zealous yell by a few, but overall the crowd was great and Joe and band responded. Did I say the sound was good??

With the help of Susan and Ken, it was great to meet the other band members plus Roy. Ken has some great shots from Cocoa and at both concerts, Joe happily obliged our requests for photo's and autographs. Joe and those around him are as nice as anyone could be to their fans and it makes the whole experience a pleasure. 

One other thing about the Florida Theatre that was a plus was having a lobby bar in an area outside the doors of the hall. This way there was no noise from those who were just there to drink and talk. At Cocoa there was a constant buzz from the bar located in the back of the room and it made the quiet parts...less quiet.

I will leave it to Jeff, Susan and Ken for more specifics but we had a blast and enjoy the company of those we have met from this board and at the shows.

Tim

Nice meeting you and your lovely wife, too.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

the dude wrote:
eva wrote:
the dude wrote:

I nominate this for post of the year.  Sounds like an amazing time.

You have my vote too Jeff. You´re Da Master of Haiku and of excessive Show-reviewing !
Great work! smile

Eva

Jeff reviews da Blues
Everyone listens in awe
"Blues deluxe" indeed.

And while I'm passing out the compliments, Eva your mastery of English is something to behold.  Even writing haikus in a foreign tongue.  With a little work on your slang tongue you'll be speaking better than me in no time.

Thanks a lot, dude ..... but yeah, the slang words ..... lol

Jeff, now that looks like good old Bonamassa-fever is spreading in your family too, hm?! wink

Eva

Thanks for the reviews all who went to the two Florida shows. I especially enjoyed reading yours Big Jeff,you have a great way of putting things cool

Tripsy  smile

eva wrote:
the dude wrote:
eva wrote:

Great work! smile

Eva

Jeff reviews da Blues
Everyone listens in awe
"Blues deluxe" indeed.

Thanks a lot, dude ..... but yeah, the slang words ..... lol

Jeff, now that looks like good old Bonamassa-fever is spreading in your family too, hm?! wink

Eva

Yes Lord!  My two head banging son's were ON!  "Awesome Dad!"  Joe is just so cool, too.  Later that night, when he looked at me and looked at them. "I said, "This is my family Joe," and introduced them all.  He said their names and spelled them out.  My kid's were VERY impressed. 

I would not have been offended if he had skipped over us, because he was VERY busy, but he didn't.  So thanks for that, too, Joe Bonamassa.  The young ones don't forget that sort of thing. 

After Carmine made a remark about somebody from our old neighborhood being there, I offered up that it was 35 years ago.  Joe said that you couldn't prove it by him... he wasn't around 35 years ago and just grinned real big.  MsTia laughed at that one. (She's younger than me.)  ZING! 

So I said Happy Birthday to you too.  Joe's just a good man to lead the way for music in general.

Thanks Tripsy!

MuchLove
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

So wonderful to hear all the stories!! I've really missed show reviews! It's even better to hear of forums meetings. But, Big Jeff..Please explain the "two went to Jacksonville, and three went home to bed"...Can't let that one slip by!!! Imagination running wild!! Cathy

Did wonder about that one myself Cathy

However I thought, after imagination ran wild then calmed, that he's just counting - you know one, two, three

At least I hope thats it!

Vicky

"Stellar" a word used by Joe Bonamassa (also apt as a description of the man himself cool)

Ha Ha, girls.  I was JUST counting, explaining the round one, round two thing.  I wouldn't tell that, nohow...not on the forum, anyway.

I was the only one awake driving home 2 hours at expressway speeds...:cool:

imagination
runningwildformetoonow
gotakeashower

Wink!

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Got back late yesterday after a whirlwind trip to Jacksonville via Savannah from Charlotte.  Over 800 miles spent in the car!  But it was a great weekend.  Dave C. and myself drove down to Tybee Island which is outside Savannah on Thursday evening.  Friday after a great breakfast at the Breakfast Club, we drove down to Jacksonville.  As mentioned earlier, the Florida Theatre is one beautiful venue, great sound too.  Most of the equipment was rented because the bands equipment was being sent to California for the start of the new studio album.  There was a few little bugs in trying to workout with the keyboards and Carmine's amp but it got worked out with no problem.

Racheal Iverson, Joe's Marketing Director, had mentioned that there were 600 advance tickets sold, not sure how many walk ups there were but it was a really nice size audience.  There was no opening act, so the show started about 8:10 and was finished about 9:45.  Susan had posted the setlist earlier, but on the original setlist was "Highwater Everywhere", but I guess it was dropped.  What was a very nice surprise was to see "Your Funeral, My Trial" in the setlist, that is such a great song.  Joe, Carmine, Bogie and Rick were all playing with great intensity and were having a lot of fun.  Joe's new signature guitar is a piece of art, not only does it sound awesome but looks fabulous.  It is been distressed somewhat on the neck and the body by the custom shop, just fine little details that makes it very special.

What was really nice was to meet Kevin Shirley.  What an interesting guy with all the different people he has worked with.  Had a nice discussion about working with Jimmy Page on the DVD and CD How the West was Won, also it was great to get his view on the Led Zeppelin reunion show at the O2.  As mentioned on his Caveman Diaries, they are going to be doing a movie on the recording of the new studio album, and they were shooting video at the Florida Theatre and then at the BB King show.

What was really nice was meeting Susan and Ken after the show.  They are some very nice folks.  They showed me some cool pictures that they had taken the night before of Joe and the band.  Really sorry didn't get to meet more of the forum members that were there, like Big Jeff, sorry about that!!!  After saying our goodbyes with everybody, we heading up on I-95 back to Savannah, rolled in about 1:30, not bad.  My wife did not wait up for me, don't know why!  lol The rest of the weekend was great, playing golf, low country boiled, good brews etc...

It was great seeing and visiting with Joe and the band once again, it is always worth the effort and time to see the best!   Hope you guys have a productive time in the studio this week!!!  Kevin cracks the whip again!

Music is good for the Soul...

David A. wrote:

Susan had posted the setlist earlier, but on the original setlist was "Highwater Everywhere", but I guess it was dropped. 

What was really nice was to meet Kevin Shirley.  What an interesting guy with all the different people he has worked with.  Had a nice discussion about working with Jimmy Page on the DVD and CD How the West was Won, also it was great to get his view on the Led Zeppelin reunion show at the O2.  As mentioned on his Caveman Diaries, they are going to be doing a movie on the recording of the new studio album, and they were shooting video at the Florida Theatre and then at the BB King show.

Hey David,
He played "Highwater Everywhere".  I'm sure he did.  I just forgot it.
I wanted to say that must have been a real treat to meet Kevin Shirley.  I knew he was going to be in Sunrise, but didn't know he would be in Jacksonville.  That is really cool that they were shooting video in Jacksonville too.  Not that I wasn't looking forward to the video anyway, but knowing that the Jacksonville show is part of it makes it even more exciting. 

Susan smile

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

That sounds about right.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:

The master plays
we are stunned by his skill

DYNAMICS
experience
scorched earth
full attention
heh heh...
never ending note
sublime

tension was ELECTRIC
we white knuckled the seats
and held our breath
This band is so tight
in tune with the boss
they never miss a cue
brought the house down on our ears
We COULD NOT stay in our seats
ensuing musical madness
bug eyed
head-banging
butt-kicking
the best

Bonamassa Band takes no prisoners
They are here to convert the unwashed heathens, the uninitiated.
We can be proud
amazing
Love

hmmmm
what makes it Rock?
what makes it Blues?

I was alive, sane, and a father   

Ah the world of Joe

we are all extremely grateful

Thanks Joe
I ain't kidding
Much Love

Well - THANK you SO much, my Big Brother, Susan, Ken, Tim, and David.  I want you all to know that MY STOMACH IS ABSOLUTELY FILLED WITH BUTTERFLIES AT THIS VERY MINUTE - IN ANTICIPATION of what we will see in 13 short days.  You may think I'm kidding, but, I"M NOT!!!!  Seriously, your reviews and comments have left me breathless, and nearly speechless.  I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!  I hardly EAT!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting so eloquently and informatively about your experiences.  It truly has been JOYFUL for me to hear each of your perspectives in each of your own words - a beautiful picture, indeed.  Also, thank you VERY much for the set list Susan.  In case you missed it Susan, you'll be glad to know that my old friend Mike and his new/old beloved DID make it - here's the link to their experience and MY getting to hear little tidbits over the phone (starting with my post # 58):   http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtop … 54&p=4

I apologize for my delay - I've been off forum for a few days.  I sincerely appreciate EACH and EVERY one of your comments about EACH Florida show!!!

smile  Libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Hey lil bit,
Nice to have you back online.  Feliz Cinco de Mayo.  I'm going to email you...oh wait here's mail from Libita.  Okay so I'll answer you. 
seeya

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

It took me forever to read up to this point, but I just have to say thanks for one of the best ever reviews (multiple) Big Jeff!  Amazingly and astutely stated, yet we all know still understated in regards to the actual "being there" experience.  All the follow-up comments excellent too, especially the attendees Ken & Susan, and David A again of course.  I got a few people in there, but spared y'all (said with fake southern drawl) too much meeting people whom I was not able to personally introduce to others, seeings how I haven't been able to be introducing myself to y'a-all (said with a real southern this time)...Thanks!

Rock On & Keep the Faith

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

It took me forever to read up to this point, but I just have to say thanks for one of the best ever reviews (multiple) Big Jeff!  Amazingly and astutely stated, yet we all know still understated in regards to the actual "being there" experience.  All the follow-up comments excellent too, especially the attendees Ken & Susan, and David A again of course.  I got a few people in there, but spared y'all (said with fake southern drawl) too much meeting people whom I was not able to personally introduce to others, seeings how I haven't been able to be introducing myself to y'a-all (said with a real southern this time)...Thanks!

Rock On & Keep the Faith

Rocket, I believe we are...related?  That's high praise coming from you, Sir.  Please and Thank you and you're welcome!

MuchLove and a nod to the inner mounting flame,
bigjeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms