Re: Asking Around For You

Hi wordguy, I played my Best of Leon CD last night and I can see what you are saying, great lyrics also on Song For You. Since you know Grey's Anatomy, I thought "Miss You, Hate You" was the perfect song for Meredith and Dr. McDreamy, who is so steamy and that's why I watch that soapy show to begin with...Anyway, I wrote to them about it and I never heard back.  It annoys me when people don't listen to my sound advice...LOL shortly there after, they started selling the music played on the show and I read they actually contracted someone to write songs for the show. Hopefully, management and/or PR are working on getting "Asking Around For You" to be a movie soundtrack, played on a TV show, etc.

Melissa-Thanks for pasting in the lyrics, they are beautiful! I'm sorry that Father's Day is tough for you.  Neither of us have traveled down that sorrowful road yet, so it's hard for me to even imagine the emotions there.  I hope it's a manageable day for you and filled with great memoiries of your dad. It must help that you have a wonderful dad for your children to keep the circle of life going. Maybe you know the scoop on Asking Around and what part Joe did, wrote the music to the lyrics, worked together on both?

And now that we have all professed our love for this song and Joe's music, what are we going to do about it, besides enjoy it?? It's payback time- whose got the skinny on how to get Joe nominated for a Grammy (song, album), a W.C.Handy Award, etc. etc. Is a Grammy political and better odds if you are behind a big record company??? Who does the nominating; a board, listener input, record sales???

As a reference point, I have 2 winner CD's right next to me. Keb'Mo' & Clapton w/B.B.

Keb'Mo' -Just Like You-Grammy-Best Contemporary Blues Album - I think 1996
Keb'Mo' also got a W.C. Handy in 1995 for Country/Acoustic Blues Album of the Year

So at least we know there is a Blues album Grammy award! Maybe one of you internet whizzes can do a little research on this.

Eric Clapton/B.B. King-Riding With The King- 2001 W.C.Handy Award-Contemporary Album Of The Year

The quality of "You and Me" more than meets the mark!!

wordguy71 wrote:

I was talking more about the song itself, Leon's version specifically. The tempo, rhythm and "Singin' a song for you"/"Asking around for you" thing. But I agree, AAFY would be a great song for either of those shows.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

I can't wait to see Mr. Bonamassa perform "Asking Around For You" tonight in fort wayne. I heard that he uses a Lucille! That's going to be so awesome. Someone hit me back and let me know if any of you are planning to attend.

Kyle wrote:

I love that song as well.  Theres just something amazing about it.  Whenever I listen to You and Me, I always listen to that one twice before going on to So Many Roads.  Does anyone else hear the Ray Charles vibe in it?

Definitely...I thought the same thing...there's almost the "Goergia On My Mind" lick there....Desperado(live version) by the Eagles has it too..

Usually I prefer the more "up tempo" stuff Joe does. However, "asking around for you" has quickly become my favorite. I actually had  tears in my eyes, it makes me think of my father, who died in 2001, and my father in law who passed in 1988. I miss them both, but hope to see them again someday to, "sit a while and drink black coffee".

alabamakid wrote:
Kyle wrote:

I love that song as well.  Theres just something amazing about it.  Whenever I listen to You and Me, I always listen to that one twice before going on to So Many Roads.  Does anyone else hear the Ray Charles vibe in it?

Definitely...I thought the same thing...there's almost the "Goergia On My Mind" lick there....Desperado(live version) by the Eagles has it too..

Yeah, I think thats the song that was coming to mind.  I think a big part of that is the orchestra in there as well.

I, along with everyone else here, absolutely love this song!  I actually listened to it a couple times on the way to work this morning.  It was cool to see him do it as his closer when I saw him back in March, before the CD even came out.  I guess I always thought more along the lines of wordguy, it being a more romantic song, but like people have said, the song is what you make of it.  It can mean different things to different people.  That's what's so cool about music.  And I love that you shared your interpretation, Jane.  Don't Live Anywhere is another one of my favorites.  So beautiful, and so sad.  You can just feel all the emotion in it.  And I love all the emotion Joe puts into his singing.  Such a powerful voice!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion."  ~Leo Tolstoy

"The more you can dream, the more you can do."  ~Michael Korda

Very well said, Jane. I think it is the best song on the CD and it takes me to the place where I think eternity should be. It covers a whole lot of emotions, different for each person. It's one of those rare songs that can touch everyone who hears it.
Cion