1 (edited by josh m 2006-07-20 13:08:38)

Topic: New Cabs

What are those new speaker cabs Joe is useing and what kind of miking technique is he using... it seemed that the sm57s were really low to the ground and pointed out alot? He had killer tone at the KC show!!!!!!

Thanks, Josh

Re: New Cabs

Mills cabinets. But Joe's tone is all in the plexi shield. Just kidding. But it helps him to be able to play loud with out killing the front row.

I was right in front of Joe at the KC show. I was wondering why my ears were not ringing too bad after the show! lol  It was a great show though. I forgot all about the extreme heat once Joe started playing!

Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

Are you sure they dont look the same and what was with the weird mic technique?

Thanks, Josh

Not sure but I think they are custom made cabinets. By who I don't know for sure. Will check in to the mic tequniqe and get back to you.

I think each head runs two speakers in stereo. That's why the typical set-up is four heads and eight total speakers (four mics).

The new cabinets are custom built. By who I don't know but they are based on vintage Marshall's which are a bit taller than the usuall straight bottom. The mic placement is half way between the edge and the voice coil. Trying to capture the mid range true. They are angle to be perpendicular to the angle of the speaker cone, That is the reason the mics are at an angle. The cabinets have no handle cutouts so each speaker shamber is identical in size and volume. Wired stereo left and right in each cabinet.  Source Donnie Opperman. Sound Guy. JBB. but truly I still think it is the Plexi baffle that makes the difference.

Speaking of the plexi baffle- does anyone know where Joe gets his or who makes it?

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128