Topic: Remember when the graffiti said 'Clapton is God'....

....well, having watched JBTV again I think that this millenium has a new holder of that title.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Re: Remember when the graffiti said 'Clapton is God'....

I sure love the JB TV, but didn't need it to agree with you on that one!!  He's been the holder of that title for me since my first concert.

Yup, I sure do!

The first time I went to London late in 1967, I saw 'Clapton is God' scrawled all over walls in West London. I didn't know who Clapton was. I soon found out. I also recall seeing lots of posters for John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers at the Marquee.

But yes, Joe's got the mantle now!

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

4 (edited by starks5867 2008-01-20 12:19:44)

I've been thinking about this............I have a lot of bible believin' conservative freinds that would be very upset with me on this one, and didn't John Lennon get in trouble for a similar statement back in the day?  I surely don't ever want to get Joe in trouble, so I ammend my statement.  He makes me feel like I am in the presence of something great when I see him perform.

Yeah Roy, I remember seeing the dog lifting it's leg and I know the 'God' thing didn't sit comfortably on EC's shoulders. I mean it in a 'God of the guitar' sort of way......not spiritually......does that help you too Starks?

Geoff

yes..............it helps.  Thanks!  He is a great guitarist, no argument from me on that one.

I understand all the angst about the "God" title.  It's ludicrous, of course, to assign that title to anyone on this plane of existence. 

I knew what you meant Geoff.  I agree that Mr. Bonamassa is on another plane musically and professionally.  He will, one day, take his rightful place.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Good one Pete:

Or as dear old Billy Preston (RIP) used to say, "...I'm a soldier in the war on poverty."

Nothing from nothing leaves nothing,
Jeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Crossroads 2007 DVD, there's a guy in the front that you can see (at least once) who's wearing a t-shirt that says "Clapton is God".
I honestly don't know how anyone can find a phrase like this offensive...I've always viewed it as what it is: Hyperbole, intended to make a strong point.
I do agree that (in my mind) the mantle has been passed.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

All I'll say about Clapton is that any one of us would love to be that old and still kicking tail. He still gets up there and makes people look foolish. And I'll go even farther to say that Clapton's playing right now is better than it ever has been. And I'll stand behind that.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

And I'll stand by you when you say it.....and his voice is getting better all the time too. Having the younger guys around, by his own admission, helps to raise his game.

Deezer wrote:

All I'll say about Clapton is that any one of us would love to be that old and still kicking tail. He still gets up there and makes people look foolish. And I'll go even farther to say that Clapton's playing right now is better than it ever has been. And I'll stand behind that.