Topic: Hard Rock Orlando

Have his CD's/DVD but have not seen him live...

But...I've got 2 front row seats tomorrow night for my wife and I at the Hard Rock.

If I sound pumped up about seeing this very special musician...I AM!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Bonamassa in Orlando...ALLRIGHT!!!

Re: Hard Rock Orlando

Yo man, I's s'posed to be there...Check back in a day or 3 after and detail your feelings here, alright?  Very interested in the Orlando crowd reaction to Joe Bonamassa & Co.  They can be a fickle bunch there, so get things pumped brother. 

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

It will be a special night. It's a small venue and the LAST night!!! Wish I was there!! Have a wonderful time and please report back!                  Cathy

Upsetme wrote:

Have his CD's/DVD but have not seen him live...

But...I've got 2 front row seats tomorrow night for my wife and I at the Hard Rock.

If I sound pumped up about seeing this very special musician...I AM!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Bonamassa in Orlando...ALLRIGHT!!!

Hi Upsetme,

My boyfriend and I also have front row seats tonight at the Hard Rock Live.  We're in seats 5 & 6. We'll be there with 4 other people.  Stop by and say hello.  I love to see the look on people's faces that are seeing Joe for the first time.  The look of disbelief.  He is an amazing artist and we are all in for a treat tonight.  And he's in ORLANDO!!!  I am so physced.

I hope this is just one of many visits he will be making to this magical city.

Susan smile

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

In the 60/70's while growing up in Atlanta near the Fox theatre, I saw my share of wonderful shows. But...when it comes to someones performance, talent, ability, connection to the audience, all the things that you want to see and feel, they are now unrivaled after the man I saw last night...Joe Bonammasa. 

We arrived early and enjoyed Crosby Loggins as the crowd filtered in. Afterwards we spent time with him and he signed a CD for my wife, nice guy, good voice and will have success.

We had seats in the front row about 10 feet from Joe's mike. Needless to say, we were captured for the next 90 minutes with the first strike of his pick. I think Joe's set was the same as was posted for Tampa. Just amazing to watch him work...what a passion for his craft...amazing, incredible.

As for the venue, the Hard Rock is located inside Universal's City Walk and that is a good term because you walk plenty to get from the parking garage to the entrance. There are moving sidewalks but it's still the furthest you will ever park to get to a concert. Once inside you walk past Margaritaville and across a bridge to finally arrive at the venue.

Inside to get to the front row, you go around either side because they block off stage access to anyone who isn't in row A by running the seats all the way across. Good idea because that way you know your not going to end up with a crowd standing in front. The downside is all of the seats on the floor are small convention room sized and placed close together. Given that it sure seemed that many of our seatmates had a bountiful Thanksgiving, there was very little wiggle room because these jumbo's simply didn't fit in the narrow space alotted.

The sound was EXCELLENT. I listened closely to everything and the mix from all 4 and Joe's mic were great. The Hard Rock is a nice size as far as not being too large or too small and the sound was just right.

We hooked up with Susan and Ken (great meeting you both) before the show and then afterwards we hung around with hopes of meeting Joe. My wife ran to run buy the one CD we didn't have in hopes he would sign it.

Unfortunately, this is where the bad part of the Hard Rock raised it's head. The staff could not wait to get us out of there. We were shooed from the stage area, then we were shooed from the merchandise table, then finally, we were shooed from the lobby and out the front door. Ken and I were even turned away from the bathrooms.."sorry, closed". What a joke, we had to go next door to "go" and when we walked back past the front door, they were closed and lights out...I mean DARK. These people must have all had baby sitters at home because it wasn't even late.

Really...I would have loved to meet this guy, but it will never happen at a place like the Hard Rock, they have an inflexible corporate culture and avid fans will be disappointed.

This was my first Bonamassa show and I'm already looking at ways to travel and see him again. Joe, your "Tour" page is now a linked favorite. Thank's for a phenomenal show, we will be there the next time you come to Florida. Enjoy your holiday break.

Tim

Hey Tim, glad you enjoyed the show!  Really enjoyed your review, that's too bad that the venue was in such a rush to shut things down.   I am originally from Atlanta and saw many a great show in the early 70's at the Fox, Richard's, Great Southeast Music Hall, City Auditorium, etc...  Hope you get to meet Joe next time around...

Music is good for the Soul...

Hey Upsetme Tim,
     After reading thraak's, Susan's, and your post about the show I am convinced that Joe, Bogie,Rick, and Carmine did deliver Heaven on Earth.  So glad it was a fabulous show smile
                                                             pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

8 (edited by cathysiler 2007-12-05 12:40:59)

Hey Tim..Thanks for the review. I'm glad your Bonabaptism was wonderful. Venue staff are often the worst thing about a show! We were treated like thugs in Baltimore! Jane almost got herself booted!  Many of us wish we could have been at this year ending show!  Until then, Welcome to JoeWorld...keep posting.               Thanks, Cathy

9 (edited by Rocket 2007-12-08 01:35:05)

Right On Tim! Everything about Joe & Co. was spotless perfect.  What marred yours and Ken & Susan's, Brent's (DeLand Brent other review post), and especially Thraak & Son's experiencing a nice finale was not meeting Joe...Orlando entertainment seems to have that Diney attitude of asssembly line production for EVERYTHING.  It's a typical attitude in the area's entertainment parks, restaurants, & venues: Shuffle 'em in, sit 'em down, toss 'em out.
I had not one but TWO cases of food poisoning in Orlando this summer, one from Disney (I'd say nice to pay a lot for getting sick, uh huh, but it was at a big discount due to family members working there...working too hard I add), the other from just up from  the hArd Rock at Universal, Margaritaville...the volcano wasn't the only thing to blow I tell you! mad I should've been there last night, glad it was thrilling when Joe, Bogie, Carmine, & Rick the 22 year old key phenom were up there letting loose! 

Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

10 (edited by susan 2007-12-05 16:12:08)

Rocket wrote:

Right On Tim! Everything about Joe & Co. was spotless perfect.  What marred yours and Ken & Susan's, Brent's (DeLand Brent other review post), and especially Thraak & Son's experiencing a nice finale was not meeting Joe...Orlando entertainment seems to have that Diney attitude of asssembly line production for EVERYTHING.  It's a typical attitude in the area's entertainment parks, restaurants, & venues: Shuffle 'em in, sit 'em down, toss 'em out.
I had not one but TWO cases of food poisoning in Orlando this summer, one from Disney (I'd say nice to pay a lot for getting sick, uh huh, but it was at a big discount due to family memebers working there...working too hard I add), the other from just up from  the hArd Rock at Universal, Margaritaville...the volcano wasn't the only thing to blow I tell you! mad I should've been there last night, glad it was thrilling when Joe, Bogie, Carmine, & Rick the 22 year old key phenom were up there letting loose! 

Rock On & Keep teh Faith,
Rocket

Hey Rocket,
Stop dissing Orlando please.  I want Joe & Co. to return here.  lol  Listen, the problem isn't that we were ushered out of the place.  We were ushered out of the PAC in Tampa too.   Usually when that happens, Joe sometimes greets his fans outside by the bus, which is what he did in Tampa.  At places like Disney and Universal, the bus is parked in a restricted area and the fans don't have access to the area.  I'm sure this has alot to do wth security issues.   

Susan smile

P.S.  I am sorry about the food posioning.  That is truly no fun.  sad But I have to say, I've eaten at these places many times, including last night, and it's never happened to me.

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

11 (edited by Rocket 2009-07-07 23:54:25)

susan wrote:
Rocket wrote:

I had not one but TWO cases of food poisoning in Orlando this summer, one from Disney (I'd say nice to pay a lot for getting sick, uh huh, but it was at a big discount due to family memebers working there...working too hard I add), the other from just up from  the Hard Rock at Universal, Margaritaville...the volcano wasn't the only thing to blow I tell you! mad I should've been there last night, glad it was thrilling when Joe, Bogie, Carmine, & Rick the 22 year old key phenom were up there letting loose! 

Rocket

Hey Rocket,
Stop dissing Orlando please.  I want Joe & Co. to return here.  lol  Listen, the problem isn't that we were ushered out of the place.  We were ushered out of the PAC in Tampa too.   Usually when that happens, Joe sometimes greets his fans outside by the bus, which is what he did in Tampa.  At places like Disney and Universal, the bus is parked in a restricted area and the fans don't have access to the area.  I'm sure this has alot to do wth security issues.   

Susan smile

P.S.  I am sorry about the food posioning.  That is truly no fun.  sad But I have to say, I've eaten at these places many times, including last night, and it's never happened to me.

No problem Susan...I would eat at....the Hard Rock next time in Universal... I have eaten at Lombard's Seafood inside the park...Seafood is often the culprit, but the food there was absolutely scrumptious...and the people and service were top notch.  I only mention it because: 1) I never, ok extremely rarely get sick, a great immune system (so far); 2) I have an iron stomach; 3) I'm Crying Today because I wasn't there to take another shot (the last shot), having canceled 4 Joe Bonamassa concerts I had etched in stone to attend in 2 months...:mad: sad  mad sad mad sad mad sad  I'll get over it...if Joe books a quickie Virgin Islands show in St. Maarten again this year or at least opens the studio door when I'm knocking (yes even I could sit down & shut up) ...*sigh* I guess if I woke up dreaming today it's a mild nightmare-just kidding! I see your review is in another topic posting.....Orlando Show reviews fractured & piece meal all over the place (what imagery!)!!! smile

Rocket the Retched lol

12 (edited by bigjeffjones 2007-12-09 21:30:54)

So we went to Orlando and walked the long mile to see Joe Bonamassa in the Hard Rock Cafe...Tia & I and 2 of our friends.  It was worth it.  WHAT A SHOW!  Crosby was very cool and did his warm up job, funny and talented.  Keeper.

Then out came the boys and there was lightning and thunder indoors.  Wait a sec...

When I came out of my self imposed musical retirement less than 2 years ago (after 16 years to raise my kids) I was aware that there would be changes in/on the scene.  I came out anyway.  I've seen countless sloppy guitar players and wannabes in the last 21 months.

Smoking Joe is the real deal.  No slop there.  A real guitar player.  A young Master.

Joe...a bar band you are not.  Very impressive what you've done.  Only someone who has studied the masters can do what you do, that is, successfully take it "outside of the box" to the next limit. 

Thanks for letting me get that picture between you and Carmine.  Maybe now, my fingers will work on my bass.

My wife and friends sat with their mouths open for a number or two and then erupted in screaming applause.  It was a treat for me to see Ms. Tia enjoy herself so completely.  You definitely pulled out all the stops on this last show of this tour.  Now my friends KNOW where I'm coming from.  THANK YOU Joe and company for the sledgehammer between the eyes.

The Hard Rock Cafe crowd was (sometimes too) rowdy and was quite vocal even when Joe tried to shush them just a little.  Joe, you just took it all in stride and exhibited, once again, that you are the consummate professional. 

Listen people, when JB came off mic to sing "If I ever get to Heaven, and I'm praying that I do..."  I hollered "You will Joe.  You will!" and the crowd roared its approval.  Even the drunks in the back of the room.

I figured out later that night while we were celebrating Rick's birthday why I felt hope when I heard them play in West Palm Beach.  It is because of that professionalism stacked on top of his prodigious talent.  I have watched greatness disentegrate under the strain of this business and all the excesses that go with the lifestyle, in my 35+ years in & out of the music biz.  The veterans know of what I speak.  I HAVE HOPE...

Joe came out wearing a sport coat; dressed like a blues man.  Bogey, Carmine & Rick were attired like the pro sideman they are and the overall show was visual as well as musical.  The emotional sounds and vocals that poured off that stage were raw but polished.  Figure that out.  They filled up the room.

Tight changes and a perfect mix give the edge that a band needs to cross the line into greatness.  Joe, you and your guys have that edge.  Take the blues to the next stage.

During the acoustic set in the middle, I heard someone say "I didn't know a human being could move their fingers that fast."  In Espanol my old guitar teacher called those exercises with those Arabesque type scales "Aranas" which means spiders.  Outside the box...genius executed perfectly.  Only thousands of hours of hard work and practice could give you that.

I HAVE HOPE...I recently auditioned a guitarist and it went on for two hours.  When somebody "Look at the time," my drummer said, "That's a miracle...as abusive as this guy is to most guitar players." pointing at me.  Nice huh?  My wife and daughter were dancing in the kitchen.

Joe, maybe one day we'll sit and talk.  Ms. Tia called my number one son at college and bragged about you.  She just doesn't do that sort of thing.  He's a guitarist, too.  So you got high marks, young sir.  Enjoy your Holiday.  Then on to Europe.

Happy Birthday Rick!  Many more, mate!  I checked out that funk on your web site.  NICE!

Bogey, so nice to see a southern boy make good.  You have my number...call it.  If we get to LA and you are in town, Tia & I will hang out for sure.  Thanks for the invite.

Carmine you fed me again.  Gracias mi 'mano.  Yo te amo.  Next time I'll eat before I come...maybe.  Tia looks good, huh?  I'm overjoyed that we got a chance to see you, even though you told stories about me to that backstage crowd.(GRIN) Loved that.  The terrible trio survived!  I celebrate that, even while we speak of & mourn the ones we've lost along the way. 

A word about Hard Rock Cafe:  Don't be too hard on the employees there.  They have corporate minded bosses and they have an industrial theme park mindset.  I feel for those who missed their chance after the show, but there's time now to prepare for the next Orlando event.  One thing nobody will deny:  the sound there's SPOT ON!  Good equipment.

Joe, I would vote to give B.B. King's new club a closer look.  I have not been there, but most of Daytona Beach has some buzz going on about it.  Or maybe in Daytona Beach?

The blues are in good hands with Joe Bonamassa, y'all!  Rest well. 
Merry Christmas and may God bless.

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Hey Jeffe,
Amazing review!!! Thanks so much.  You project with an impeccable sense of clarity.  That HOPE is fantástico!!! To me it makes it seem like while we are living, we will always be alive!  Spread it all around, and buena suerte with your rentry into música...Old musicians never die, they just play joyfully on & on & on...
Sidenote to Jane from her profesor viejo del aire guitarra ....See what I mean about las arañas??!!! lol

Rocket

Thanks Rocket,
Air Guitar?  too funny. primo!  Here's one more...
a Quote from the Funky Dr. of Love (GOOGLE THAT) himself.

"Old players never die, they just go under cover."

www.sweetandsassysalsa.com/bluesfromthebottoms.htm

Jeffe

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms