1 (edited by srvts808 2007-11-24 18:52:34)

Topic: How do you get a good sound out of a fender blues deluxe reissue

Joe i need help. I can't get a good cranked sound out of my blues deluxe reisseue. Any sugestions. I'm using a fender 62 reissue strat.

Re: How do you get a good sound out of a fender blues deluxe reissue

I found that if you add a little Delay with 0 feedback in the effects loop you can get a better tone . also use a compressor sustainer between the guitar and amp will enhance your tone considerably. I don't have a fender but I have found this to be true of any amp. I play thru. a Traynor YCV50.

Statocaster Elite , Yamaha SA 2000, Taylor 815c,  Traynor YCV 50 Blue, Indie Fleur De Lis, Indie IPR anniversary

The Blues Deluxe isnt my favorite amp.  I like the hot Rod version alot better.  Given as it may the best way to get a good sound out of those is to crank it..  Use something like a MXR micro amp and something like PAF style pickups to drive the input.  Turn the whole amp around backwards and mic the back.  You may consider using a EV 12 L or Surrey made greenback celestion.  Anything to dull the high end some.  They are very bright amps and those Fender special designs are a terrible speaker.  Fender ruined those reissue tweed twins with those.   They twist internally when pushed into saturation creating a non musical sound. To listen really closely is to hear a white noise type of sound in around the notes.   Having those speakers made in the PRC doesnt help either.  If you really want to get into it, have a amp tech put a mid boost on it. Something to bring the voicing down more to the human voice quality.  Tough amp to work with sometimes but doable and they do have a good clean sound. Trade it for a hot rod version and your problems are solved honestly...I hate to say it.
Joe Bonamassa

Thanks I was already thinking about buying a EVM12L speaker. I know the amp isn't that good but right now i'm saving up for a super reverb.

A super rev is a great amp...  Its like a princeton Rev which is my favorite fender amp.  A good choice indeed..
Joe Bonamassa

6 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-11-29 07:46:59)

Ive tried putting blankets over amps and turning them around to change the sound with limited results...its really hard to find an amp you like.

I play a Rivera amp now and love it.

Its funny most guitar players would rather buy more guitars than more amps!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I really have don't have any preference for any perticular brand. I have heard of rivera amps, but i have never had the chance to play through one. I'm pretty set on getting the super though, it's such a great amp

Id suggest a 1970's super reverb.  They are hand wired and sound better than the reissues...
Joe Bonamassa

Thanks Joe i could always change it to blackface specs if i wanted right? is there really that much differnce between the eary 70's silver face and the 60's blackface?

srvts808 wrote:

Thanks Joe i could always change it to blackface specs if i wanted right? is there really that much differnce between the eary 70's silver face and the 60's blackface?

Yes.

The Silverfaces used generally cheaper components like the capacitors,  Driver/Phase Inverter, different transformers and different wiring materials, and so forth.  It is generally agreed that the pre-CBS Fender products are usually superior.

Basically, in short, you are going to hear a drastic difference between the Silverfaces and Blackfaces.  Fortunately the Sliverface to Blackface mod is a well known and common mod.

This is just from my experience with them, anyhow.

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

Hi guy's,
I love that suggestion, Joe. I had a "duh" moment! I have a hot rod deluxe that I play at our smaller shows and have had a hard time with my tone lately. I wasn't getting a good singing tone and I got some moola so i'm searching. I've been searching for "that" great overdrive pedal, but you've got me convinced to crank it and your idea of turning the amp backwards, cranking it and micing the back is great! Was that a suggestion for just the deluxe because of the brightness in the tone or will that work with the HRD amp in smaller club settings?
When you've played the HRD did you have it fully open on the volume for that sweet tone?
Where would you mic the back of a 1x12 amp like that?
Also, do people that run a delay through the effects loop leave it on all the time?

Any help from anyone else would be cool!

hoodoo wrote:

...Also, do people that run a delay through the effects loop leave it on all the time?

It depends... you can leave it on or turn it off- just a matter of personal preference... but delays should be put through the effects loop otherwise they get too hard to control.

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I run a DD3 through my effects loops same as Joe...all dials 12 o'clock and get really great results.  I don't certainly don't use delay all the time...it's a matter of personal preference, what effect you are going after, and what sound you want to come across.

I'm hoping to soften the overall sound a bit and get some more fatness. The reason I ask about the DD3 being on all the time is i'm running out of space on my board. If most people have em on all the time i'd get a few and mount em with the amps or at least not take up space on my board. I've seen Joe do songs with his delay pedal that are just wicked but i'm not at that point yet. But if you think i need to have it available i'll just get a bigger board!

thanks

How to get a good sound out of a Blues Deluxe? Throw it from a 20th floor window.....sounds great when it hits the bottom. Nooooo!!! big_smile I didn't mean it......I had one about two years ago. It really isn't the most responsive 'tone monster' that I've heard in many years of gigging. Maybe check out the Super Sonic 1x12 60watt combo if you're into Fenders. More money but more tone.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

gsj wrote:

Maybe check out the Super Sonic 1x12 60watt combo if you're into Fenders. More money but more tone.

The Super Sonic is definetly one of the better 2 channel Fender amps out there...

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Hahaha, yeah...I know the HRD isn't a "tone master" by any means. I've liked the super sonic as well but that still defeats the purpose of getting a good tone at smaller volume. I might as well get the 50watt Marshall head! The problem is i have this piece of crap and i'm trying to get some kind of useable tone out of it at lower volumes. OR better yet, i can trade it in! Whats a good sounding amp that I can crank to get a good tone and not hurt the people? I bet it's been a while since Joe's had to play a small club but any advice on a good small amp that I can crank and hit that sweet spot would be cool...from anyone. I know that best piece of advice would be to play bigger clubs...but we gotta start somewhere right!

thanks guys....

18 (edited by gsj 2007-12-10 04:34:42)

Maybe it'll be an idea to check out some of the lower powered (but higher priced) boutique amps that are on the market. such as Dr Z, Cornell, Cornford etc etc. Dennis Cornell makes a great Plexi 18/20 head and combo. At least you can crank 'em without taking out the first five rows smile

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young