2,143 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-11-13 04:20:13)

Re: My Next Concert (s)

Next "planned" outings -

Dec 6th - Frank Carducci & the Fantastic Squad + Russ Tippins Electric Band @ Newcastle; Innisfree Club

Dec 10th - Aynsley Lister @ Newcastle; Cluny

Dec 11th - Benjamin Amos @ Newcastle; Bobiks

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

In the last 3 weeks I have seen :

Mason Hill, Wishbone Ash, Band of Friends, Peter Frampton/Cardinal Black (superb new band), Robert Plant

3 gigs left this year :

!7 Nov. Evanescence/Within Temptation - Glasgow
20 Nov. Saxon/Diamond Head - Aberdeen
1 Dec. Joanne Shaw Taylor - Newacstle

Well, all of 2022's gigs are done.

2023, all being well, will kick off with a journey to Bannerman's in Edinburgh on Sunday Jan 15th.

The son of one of my oldest friends will be playing with his college band, The Southsiders. They played their debut gig at Whistle Binkies last week to a good reception; a mix of contemporary Blues/rock and original material, so if you're in the area and nowt better to do...

January: -
one probable, off my beaten track, location-wise - Bannerman's in Edinburgh; for The Southsiders. (Student band, cutting their teeth, so if any mates in the area looking for something to do of a Sunday [15th] evening....)

February: -
1st - Del Barber @ Ashington: White House
6th - The Pretenders @ Newcastle; Cluny
8th - Seth Lakeman @ Newcastle; Wylam Brewery
10th - The Wilson Brothers @ Darlington; Forum
17th - Rebecca Downes @ Darlington Forum

February 18 - Alter Bridge w/ Mammoth WVH opening @ Riviera Theatre in Chicago

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Del Barber - White House Social Club; Ashington, Northumbria (UK) 1-2-2023

Always a joy to spend a musical evening up in Ashington, as organised by Mike Slaughter and last night's show was no exception. making his White House debut (as part I believe of 1st UK headlining tour), we had multi-award winning Canadian independent folk, folk rock, Americana, and alternative country singer-songwriter, musician, and record producer (phew!) Del Barber and his band: -
Del Barber: Acoustic Guitar and Vocals.
Ivan Burke: Drums, Vocals.
Ryan Funk:  Bass
Austin Parachoniak:  Mandolin / lead guitar

So, what was the music actually like? Country? Alt-Country? No, doesn't come close, let's call it what the man himself calls it - "Montana Honk-Tonk". Never heard of it? Well, you should have been here as you missed a superb band in full flight giving resonant, "Eddy-like" twanging guitar, haunting, weeping pedal steel and great vocal harmonies.

As for the man and his songs, Del is a great story teller, both in his music and in the introductions, letting slip his penchant for collecting great characters in his travels, and I would guess he's one of those characters himself. This is clear in his songs such as Louise and Ronnie & Rosie. And you can't ovelook the more observational numbers like No Easy Way Out and Everyday Life.

Have to admit, prior to the gigs announcement, I'd not heard of Del & his band, and maybe the country-side may not have been my first choice, but I put my faith in Mike's choice, and once again it paid off. here's hoping to Del & band's quick return.

Still Got You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuI9LbjR3YU
Nothing Left To Find - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QJlYO9gYuA

The Pretenders - Newcast;e Cluny  6/2/23

So, here’s this Kid, a Biker, and he wasn’t going to walk the Junkie Walk, In the Middle of The Road just to end up in Downtown (Akron). Then My Baby said, “Stop Losing Sense, if you want to be the Talk of The Town, then Stop Your Sobbing, you’re only HumanLet the Sun Come In . Don’t Get Me Wrong, before I Go To Sleep, show A Love; a Sense of Purpose; remember, while some have Hate For Sale, you can’t Hurt A Fool.  You’ve Gotta Wait for Time the Avenger” Meanwhile, “Back On The Chain Gang” with the Turf Accountant Daddy, The Buzz was that The Adulteress left a Message of Love for the  Tattooed Love Boys that caused a Domestic Silence.

Sorry, can't resist playing round with a good set list, and believe me, this was better than a good set; probably the best night I've had in The Cluny - EVAH!!! Chrissie was in great form, the mascara may be a bit heavier these days (more like Alice Cooper by the end of the night), but THAT voice, undiminished; it was like revisiting 1892. And as for the band, aka His Lordship when not on "day-job" duty, were incendiary. Not bad for a night that sold out in 100 seconds; granted, a small, intimate venue, but a week-day rib-rearranger nonetheless.

Seth Lakeman - Wylam brewery; Newcastle-upon-Tyne  8/2/23

So, last night, felt it was time to have a walk over to "the allotment shed" again, to see what was going on. As it happened, bumped into Seth Lakeman, with his friends Benji Kirkpatrick and Alex Hart, who agreed for a tipple of the home-brew, to play a few songs.

Well, that's how my mind saw it, but whatever, a Seth Lakeman show at Wylam Brewery is an absolute treat - ask the other 250+ who were there. Sure, it was as much a change-of-pace for me as the Del Barber gig last week, but once you get your mind around the lack of drum kit and guitar racks full of  bouzouki, banjos, violins & violas among the acoustic guitars (okay, there was one solid body electric, couple of tenor guitars and a couple of hollow-bodied semi-acoustics), then you know you're in for a night of Folk music; quality Folk music. (Seth is to Folk what Aynsley Lister is to Blues, in my opinion.)

The evening came in 2 sets; The Giant; Love Will Still Remain; Bury Nights; The Bold Knight; The White Hare; The Rambling Sailor; Underground; Higher We Aspire; Setting of the Sun - threading through Seth's back-catalogue, with sumptuous harmonies between himself and Alex, who provided backing on harmonium, and Benji on mandolin and guitar.

Part 2 was much the same, though Seth did several numbers, such as set opener Lady of The Sea, solo, before picking up the pace Set: - Lady Of The Sea (Hear Her Calling); Shoals to Turn; Side by Side; Solomon Browne; Blood Red Sky; The Colliers; Coming For You Soon; Kitty Jay; Encore: Blood Upon Copper; Change.

Great stories in the songs and so well performed; don't let the "Folk" tag deter you; great music is great music and Seth is a musician you should catch, given the chance. (Even though it's drawing to a close, 6 of the 11 dates of this tour Sold-Out.)

Black Veil Brides, Black Star Riders next weekend in London.

Robert Jon and the Wreck 2 nights ago in Aberdeen. Off the scale!!

March 4th - Wille & the Bandits + ? @ Newcastle; Cluny

Tomorrow night - Rick Wakeman performing Six Wives and King Arthur at the London Palladium.

NickSlikk2112 wrote:

Tomorrow night - Rick Wakeman performing Six Wives and King Arthur at the London Palladium.

That would be awesome. My son loves Rick Wakeman (and I do too). I'm hoping he gets back to the states again.

ZeyerGTR wrote:
NickSlikk2112 wrote:

That would be awesome. My son loves Rick Wakeman (and I do too). I'm hoping he gets back to the states again.

It was a good night. I hope he does make it back to the states, when I saw the size of him and the way he shuffled onstage I was worried he wouldn't last the night! Thankfully his fingers are still in full working order.

Saw King Buffalo last week. One of the opening bands - The Swell Fellas - was really good. Sludgey doom metal with a progressive side... not sure how else to describe it. Huge, thick sound from a trio. King Buffalo was great as well.

Next up: Greg Koch in Deland, FL.  Really looking forward to that. He's a great player and super entertaining.

Samantha Fish in Dortmund.
Unfortunately sold out, so I have to look for a ticket anywhere

March 30th  Dom Martin (solo) @ Newcastle Cluny

This Irish guy has been collecting awards over the last few years, like they're going out of fashion - time to see what the fuss is about.

Next gigs for me....

1st April - His Lordship @ Newcastle; Cluny

2nd April - Mark Pontin Group @ Newcastle; Tyne Bar

20th April - Morganway @ Newcastle; Cluny

23rd April - The Commoners & Troy Redfern @ Newcastle; Cluny

In April:

20th April - Riverside @ The Garage Glasgow

21st April - Riverside @ O2 Institute 2 Birmingham

22nd April - Riverside @ Academy 2 Manchester

If I'd not bought a pair of new speakers, I'd have been over in Dublin on 18th April. I'm a fanboi...