1 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-07-01 02:25:18)

Topic: Best of 2022 releases - so far...

So, that time of year again, 6 months down, let’s see who makes the “all-star” selection of 2022…

Jack J Hitchinson – The Hammer Falls  (UK)
Jethro Tull – The Zealot Gene  (UK)
Elles Bailey – Shining In The Half Light  (UK)
Dan Patlansky – Shelter of Bones  (SA)
Eric Johanson – Live at DBA  (US)
Marillion – An Hour Before It’s Dark  (UK)
Kris Barras – Death Valley Paradise  (UK)
Toby Lee – Icons Vol 1  (UK)
Ian Siegal – Stone By Stone  (UK)
Robin Trower – No More Worlds To Conquer  (UK)
Bonham / Bullick – Bonham / Bullick  (UK)
Xander & The Peace Pirates – Order Out of Chaos  (UK)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Best of 2022 releases - so far...

Is this list for UK/Europe/SA only?  Other than Jack J Hutchinson and Xander's new album I doubt any of the others would be included in my list.

TMS's To Be Continued would top my list so far and can't wait to see them again in August.  It worries me the drummer, Reuben Gingrich has a couple outside projects going.  He'd be very hard to replace.
I'd go so far to say The Squeeze is the best band I've come across since Zeppelin in Christmas 1968.

Surprised you didn't include Smoke's fine little album you alerted me too.

Others for this year so far...

Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs - External Combustion
Lewis Taylor - Numb
Smoke - The Mighty Delta Of Time

Wow! Until I checked back, I hadn't realised that there was only one representative from the USA.... There are plenty of US bands back touring over here again but seems a shortage of new product - no doubt someone will shoot me down here...

TMS is certainly the "find" of the year, so kick there butts over in this direction but I've not included as I'm not certain of release dates. As for Smoke, Mighty Delta of Time hasn't yet had a UK release (thanks Brexit) and seems is harder to get here than over there...(I don't do downloads, people argue still for vinyl, but any physical form does me.)

4 (edited by Curby 2022-07-01 19:24:28)

Speaking of physical music ownership vs downloads, I’d have to agree I wish vinyl or even cds were readily available, but unfortunately they’re not.
Amazon is an option, but for me it came down space in my home.  I boxed up all my cds a long time ago and now I can’t find them.
Downloads are an option, but Apple can and will taketh away randomly.
That’s really an irritation.  I have their streaming music which is nice, but often not all the music is available and most new cars don’t have CD players.  I can only play thru my phone on Apple Play.

I'm not an advocate of the "vinyl is best", maybe it was when Cds first came to the fore, but with improvements in the transfer processes and better amps, it's hard to chose. The other reason I avoid vinyl, like Curby, is a shortage of space, and believe me, at one time I did have a lot of vinyl. I'll only buy vinyl if there's absolutely no other choice, and then only from the artist [at a gig] or their website or via Bandcamp. Streaming sites I avoid as there's very little return to the artist. And besides, you can't get an autographed download as you can a physical music product, often making a notable keepsake from a good gig.

Now I'm listening to Stone By Stone .

7 (edited by Curby 2022-09-05 02:38:11)

Marcus King's Young Blood was released a week ago.  Definitely an anticipated album from one of my favorite guitarists.  My only complaint is Dan Auerbach's back producing.  It'd be really easy to fall under a Black Keys' spell, but King navigates the listener to another sound altogether.         

Reminds me a little of 70's power rock with CCR, Paul Rodgers' Free, Grand Funk and especially early ZZ Top.  I'm liking all the songs and this may the best album I'll hear this year.

Forgot the James Gang sound on this one.  So far this is my favorite song on the album.

https://youtu.be/HWe-_9n6BhI

Found this video that showcases the level of talent Marcus possesses.  More jazzy on this one and it takes you know what to pull this cover off.  Finally got to go to bed,

https://youtu.be/Mp1pO2xDfNQ

Curby wrote:

Marcus King's Young Blood was released a week ago.  Definitely an anticipated album from one of my favorite guitarists.  My only complaint is Dan Auerbach's back producing.  It'd be really easy to fall under a Black Keys' spell, but King navigates the listener to another sound altogether.         

Reminds me a little of 70's power rock with CCR, Paul Rodgers' Free, Grand Funk and especially early ZZ Top.  I'm liking all the songs and this may the best album I'll hear this year.

Forgot the James Gang sound on this one.  So far this is my favorite song on the album.

https://youtu.be/HWe-_9n6BhI

Found this video that showcases the level of talent Marcus possesses.  More jazzy on this one and it takes you know what to pull this cover off.  Finally got to go to bed,

https://youtu.be/Mp1pO2xDfNQ

Spotted it in the racks in the music store the other day - wish now I'd picked it up...

Curby wrote:

Is this list for UK/Europe/SA only?  Other than Jack J Hutchinson and Xander's new album I doubt any of the others would be included in my list.

TMS's To Be Continued would top my list so far and can't wait to see them again in August.  It worries me the drummer, Reuben Gingrich has a couple outside projects going.  He'd be very hard to replace.
I'd go so far to say The Squeeze is the best band I've come across since Zeppelin in Christmas 1968.

Surprised you didn't include Smoke's fine little album you alerted me too.

Others for this year so far...

Mike Campbell & the Dirty Knobs - External Combustion
Lewis Taylor - Numb
Smoke - The Mighty Delta Of Time

Will have ro revise this to delete Lewis Taylor's new release, Numb.  His last album released fifteen plus years ago, The Lost Album, is so darn good and he should have called it a day then.
The new album is so over produced I don't recognize his former brilliance.  Pretty sad and hard for me to admit.